• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 9: Vielha → Andorra Arcalis (185km)

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
lenric said:
I hope Quintana does something worth notice tomorrow, because otherwise is just as boring as Portugal's way of playing football... which is just sad, especially for a guy with the talent he has.

You know that Portugal might win the Euros tomorrow?

That's why he is making the comparison. He's acknowledging that being boring isn't the same as being unsuccessful, even while still saying that he doesn't like competitors being boring.

Rollthedice said:
lenric said:
I hope Quintana does something worth notice tomorrow, because otherwise is just as boring as Portugal's way of playing football... which is just sad, especially for a guy with the talent he has.

That is nothing againist what he said, Portugal play boring football just as boring so far tour was, nice and hard stage in pyrenees went with no result (aside froomes 22s :))

Zinoviev Letter said:
Rollthedice said:
lenric said:

That's why he is making the comparison. He's acknowledging that being boring isn't the same as being unsuccessful, even while still saying that he doesn't like competitors being boring.

Bingo.

DFA123 said:
Fernandez said:
DFA123 said:
Time for Valverde to prove his worth as a domestique. He needs to set a tempo high enough on the steep part of Beixalis to destroy Sky's remaining domestiques, and then leaving Quintana to battle it out mano a mano with Froome on Arcalis.
You are overestimating Valverde a bit
Not really. Valverde's 3-5 minute climbing power is probably the best in the peloton. He could put anyone into difficulty with a hard five minute effort. We've seen that time and time again in one day races.

Of course, we have very rarely seen that in GTs because he's always pacing himself for GC. But if he's not bothered about finishing high up and is willing to blow himself up for Quintana, then he is an amazing asset to have.

Thing is Sky do high pace on steep climbs like an art form and Landa, Nieve, Poels, G & Henao can do 400+ watts for a while. He'd risk isolating Quintana against an improving Froome and several elite climbing domestiques.

Rollthedice said:
lenric said:

Nah. It's going to be the day of the wee men. First off, Nairo blasting it followed by Antoine doing his thing. In between Murray (OK, he's no wee) wins and a happy ferry household :)

MatParker117 said:
DFA123 said:
Fernandez said:
DFA123 said:
Time for Valverde to prove his worth as a domestique. He needs to set a tempo high enough on the steep part of Beixalis to destroy Sky's remaining domestiques, and then leaving Quintana to battle it out mano a mano with Froome on Arcalis.
Not really. Valverde's 3-5 minute climbing power is probably the best in the peloton. He could put anyone into difficulty with a hard five minute effort. We've seen that time and time again in one day races.

Of course, we have very rarely seen that in GTs because he's always pacing himself for GC. But if he's not bothered about finishing high up and is willing to blow himself up for Quintana, then he is an amazing asset to have.

Thing is Sky do high pace on steep climbs like an art form and Landa, Nieve, Poels, G & Henao can do 400+ watts for a while. He'd risk isolating Quintana against an improving Froome and several elite climbing domestiques.

waiting this 3-5min attack in a 3 week tour for 3 years..... I'm already convinced Movistar is Valverde's team. He does whats best for him and the whole team is "happy". Witch is follow Sky and then, maybe, he sprint in the last km to gain 5-10sec.
Until Quintana do a Contador-Lance kind a move and try to see if Sky train, like you correctly mentioned, can actually keep up with him it'll be the SAME as last 2y.. If it doesnt work, hell, he tried. And Maybe, just maybe(!?) can damage Froome enough for next week...
I really dont understand why not?? Contador+Nibali do it all the time. Froome did it TODAY!! Did something different and worked.. He's got 2 seconds over all already. What another 2nd will bring him? to me, just the realization that Nairo can not put all in the line and that Valverde wants everything. He'll even push movistar/spanish fed. to get a place in the RIO2016 also in track, mtb and bmx...

Quintana must be feeling confident now. Sky threw the kitchen sink at it, including a new descending tactic (thanks Smug Dave Brailsford for giving the game away), letting Va Va Froome burn matches for disappearing seconds and the gains were no more than marginal.
Nairo can afford Chris gaining a few more seconds on today's stage. By going to the Tour de Suisse he showed his intention is to have enough left to win it in the third week.
Sky have to attack again else their moral superiority will disappear and we've yet to see evidence that on this stage they can win decisively.

I love Nairo, but he must atack more. Tomorrow he must attack, everywhere.
On the other hand, he is only 23 seconds behind and the last week is perfect for him.
So here is the thing, he and movistar are really conservative, tomorrow he will not attack until the end, and it wont be enough.

LeoMontero said:
I love Nairo, but he must atack more. Tomorrow he must attack, everywhere.
On the other hand, he is only 23 seconds behind and the last week is perfect for him.
So here is the thing, he and movistar are really conservative, tomorrow he will not attack until the end, and it wont be enough.

and then will come the iTT, or the wind, the heat or whatever.. soon enough it will be 1min and he'll be "forced" to do crazy things and will be obvious and easy to mark him. Instead of choose when on the stage to attack..
sorry being cranky, it's 3y of cumulative waiting....

This profile looks really tough. If the GC teams race it hard before the start of Arcalis, the race will probably blow up on the final climb as everyone will be completely worn out from the hours of hard riding. I'm guessing a solo win for either Froome or Quintana.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Let's bet on top 10 and the gaps.

1. Froome
2. Quintana, 30
3. Porte, 44
4. Tejay, 44
5. Aru, 52
6. Rodriguez 56
7. Mollema 1:04
8. Valverde 1:15
9. Bardet 1:20
10. Meintjes 1:32

Going by history

1 Froome
2 Geraint Thomas +1.20
3 Sergio Henao + 1.50
4 Nairo Quintana + 2.00
5,6 and 7- Valverde, Landa and Aru +2.40

MatParker117 said:
DFA123 said:
Fernandez said:
DFA123 said:

Is Movistar / Valverde not capable of doing 400+watts on the leadup climbs leaving Froome exposed on the MTF? If Sky tried that they won't have anythimng for the final climb either. A naturally gifted climber like Nairo should be able to sit on Sky's wheels very easily. But I worry that Nairo won't have the courage to try. He's not like Contador who would throw caution to the wind. Being too cautious cost Nairo last year and after yesterday it seems he hasn't learned?

The Hitch said:
Velolover2 said:
Let's bet on top 10 and the gaps.

1. Froome
2. Quintana, 30
3. Porte, 44
4. Tejay, 44
5. Aru, 52
6. Rodriguez 56
7. Mollema 1:04
8. Valverde 1:15
9. Bardet 1:20
10. Meintjes 1:32

Going by history

1 Froome
2 Geraint Thomas +1.20
3 Sergio Henao + 1.50
4 Nairo Quintana + 2.00
5,6 and 7- Valverde, Landa and Aru +2.40

Quintana looks sharper than previous years. G Thomas isn't as strong as last year. No way this happens.

In principle, This stage suits better the SKY train & Froome, but there is a lot of climbing involve while controlling the race all together. I think today is the real test for SKY and Froome to show their strength against Quitana and Movistar. BTW Astana has not shown any initiative yet, despite of yesterday's late attack by Aru. Maybe waiting for the 3rd week too?

If Froome drops everybody today the Tour is over. It's that simple. He won't collapse in the third week. Yesterday was a debacle with riders already riding against each other for second to fifth place, refusing to work together and make it at least a little hard for Froome. At this point I would gladly strangle someone in order to see a Tour de France that's not decided before halfway. Well, he's only 23 seconds ahead, so there's still a glimmer of hope. I hope that won't be crushed today.
hfer07 said:
BTW Astana has not shown any initiative yet, despite of yesterday's late attack by Aru. Maybe waiting for the 3rd week too?
Waiting for the fourth week most likely. :rolleyes:
Praying Mantis said:
Preview:
CyclingQuotes.com said:
In 1998, Jan Ullrich laid the foundations for his overall win by riding to a dominant solo win.
Jan Ullrich did NOT win the 1998 Tour! :twisted: