• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Tour de France, Stage 20: Megève → Morzine (147km)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Jensie on ITV saying he learnt 25 years ago never to cross a while line on the descent...cycling 101 he said and Froome did not need to drop his team on the descent ...he was giving it large

Also I noticed that Froome was looking a bit the worse for wear especially his knee

But as the Jensie said Froome does not need to do anything tomorrow as others wil cancel each other out

I am hoping stil for Astana /BMC shock & awe ...not sure Riche i s up to it though....means putting Froome to the sword

Re:

HelloDolly said:
I am hoping stil for Astana /BMC shock & awe ...not sure Riche i s up to it though....means putting Froome to the sword

I didn't see the stage but according to the CN report didn't Porte have to expend energy chasing back after being caught behind a crash on before the final climb then attacked before he was dropped in the final 2 km? Maybe if he didn't have to chase back on he would have finished alongside Froome at least? It suggests Porte could still be strong for tomorrow if he keeps his nose clean.

I am sure BMC and Porte will be thinking tonight about tactics should Froome's knee mean he is not the wheel to mark. Porte will attack again tomorrow he has nothing to lose and has shown he is not afraid to try. Well done I say.

Re:

classicomano said:
Got a feeling Astana might let Nibali go in the break to chase his stagewin. Today showed that Aru just doesnt have what it takes and they burned their entire team for him the whole day.
Excellent points. There will be a BOD, but the last two climbs should see a upping of the pace from the maillot jaune group. If only to test Froome, and get Yates out of the way towards the end. The BOD will get caught, only a great climber can go solo, hold on. To win, Nibbles needs a 3 minute advantage before the last climb.

Seriously, with such small gaps, maybe rain, I expect a classic. Froome fell today, the other guys may think that racing for second may win the Tour if it happens again.

I'd like Valverde to win, after all he's done.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
My question mark over Porte is not his ability/form ...he is for me the 2nd best climber in the race ...or maybe 3rd if you include Poels

My issue with Riche is where is his killer instinct especially in relation to Froome

He is doing the best he can. He was held up today remember and that cost energy in the final. He has tried and quite obviously that wasn't enough to dislodge Froome and today trying actually cost him time at the end with the extra energy expended trying to get back on. KIller insinct is more obvious when you have a strength, power and circumstantial advantage to finish it off.

Bardet to win the Tour tomorrow!! Froome will collapse in the first uphill drag: we all know how his routine breaks down when he comes back from even the slightest fall (see Daupine 2014, Tour 2014).
I want to believe!!

Let's hope for this:
1020711-jul-2000-lance-armstrong-of-the-usa-and-the-us-gettyimages.jpg

Re:

TBSOUTH said:
Julian Alaphilippe ftw.......opened at 50/1 but is now as low as 14/1....money talks!! :)

I noticed that too and it does kinda make sense even if 14/1 is now too short. Took it very easy today, climbing well enough and excellent downhill.

I can't figure out if this is a breakaway or GC day. It would make sense for Movistar to chase but they're not exactly renowned for it. Maybe Astana and BMC again, but they spent a lot yesterday for nought. Sky certainly won't be chasing. Looking again at Froome's knee as he crossed the line I think he'll be feeling it today.

And injury-affected Froome to be dropped either on the first climb/if TV channels aren't showing the full stage, then before live pictures are available, Stannard and Rowe to find the pace too hard, leaving Froome and his six remaining doms to make up a 2.30 gap to Bardet. Crashes to impact both the Bardet and Froome group. The Froome group to gradually get it down to 1.30 by the start of the final climb, but Froome, without any help left for the last climb, to lose a further 2 minutes and win the Tour overall by less than a minute. I regard this as a serious possibility.

Re:

Sciocco said:
Froome, Porte, Yates, and Quintana all crack by Colombiere. Bardet, Aru, and Meintjes for the podium.

Some classic predictions!!

I really hope that this all gets turned on its head too, but it's highly unlikely. However if you guys think it is likely for Froome to crack that much, then bet against him as he is still about $1.04 to win Le Tour.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

gregrowlerson said:
Sciocco said:
Froome, Porte, Yates, and Quintana all crack by Colombiere. Bardet, Aru, and Meintjes for the podium.

Some classic predictions!!

I really hope that this all gets turned on its head too, but it's highly unlikely. However if you guys think it is likely for Froome to crack that much, then bet against him as he is still about $1.04 to win Le Tour.
Sadly, I doubt any of that will happen and they're most likely to come to the finish line all in one group with one or two of the top 12 off the back. It is the Tour after all. I don't bet either, maybe on Hockey but definitely not anything else.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
I love the optimism from people who think any team is going to go bananas and really try to do Froome over from the start. I do not share that optimism.

There is still a fight for positions. Guys in position 5-11 do have to go bananas to make it to the top 3. Otherwise they give Bardet and Quintana free passes to the podium.

A lot of those guys don't have much to lose. What use is there in protecting a 8th place finish?

First of all, BIG thumbs up to "Praying Mantis" for the daily stage break down!!
I think it'll be crazy from the start, gc and stage hunters, so i'll postponed my saturday long bike ride to watch this from the beginning. even if that means sure dehydration..
Espn is broadcasting 3h stages for the first time. We have 2 idiots broadcasting and that is why this forum have been so helpful but tomorrow we'll have Mauro Ribeiro as a guess. Only brazilian to won a TdF stage ever..
Tomorrow i'll just watch and see if this will be worth the morning bike ride...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

MikeTichondrius said:
Valv.Piti said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
Isn't Avoriaz the climb, as in the climb Morzine-Avoriaz they finished on in 2010 when LA dropped on Ramaz?
Yeah, the climb used as a mtf in 2010 is the Joux-Verte, a pass which starts in Morzine

Ah, so thats the climb you can combo with Ramaz + JP + Joux Verte. I thought Morzine-Avoriaz was another climb altogether.

Yeah, sort of. Joux Verte has two sides you can climb. At the top there's an intersection with a road to the Avoriaz ski station that's just up the road, so that stage went through the col either way. If you wanted that 4-climb combo you'd just be climbing Joux Verte twice. What you could do after Morzine is climb it and finish on a downhill into town again (or finish in Les Gets nearby). Something people have sort of pondered before.

Anyways, back to the stage itself. I vote for Mollema pulling a Landis. :D

AFAIK (and I was there 2 years ago), Joux Verte is ending a few km's before Avoriaz. It's a col. Avoriaz (road) it's a dead end to ski station. And also it's more popular to be called Joux Verte when climbed from Montriond. I didn't saw a single indicator with Joux Verte in Morzine, they were all with Avoriaz.

TomLPC said:
Hopefully we see this again. Similar profile/climbs to one of the great cycling stages, totally understand if people can't enjoy it anymore, but Floyd was a bit of a hero of mine growing up, and still is. The day Armstrong's fall from grace began, "a magnificent show of defiance, and a great piece of revenge!"
DV95073_600.jpg

A magnificent piece of something.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
My question mark over Porte is not his ability/form ...he is for me the 2nd best climber in the race ...or maybe 3rd if you include Poels

My issue with Riche is where is his killer instinct especially in relation to Froome

Hard to have a killer instinct against a better rider. It's not as if Porte has not tried. He tried again yesterday and it cost him 30 seconds but he has attacked more than Quintana who seems to be just hanging in there. Porte is on the podium without his puncture but that's bike racing. The good thing about his performance is that he simply has not caved in like previous races and has shown plenty of spirit.

TRENDING THREADS