• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Tour of Qatar 8-12/02 2.HC

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win Qatar GC?

• Other (Vino)

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Sacha Modolo

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Lieuwe Westra

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sam Bennett

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Manuel Quinziato

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Patrick Gretsche

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Lars Boom

• Jos Van Emden

• Greg Van Avermaet

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • Alexander Kristoff

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Jakub said:
Gloin22 said:
Jakub said:
why don't they use TT bikes? Is it forbidden?

Because logistics. Zero point bringing extra TT bikes across the Dubai/Qatar/Oman stretch when there's just one short tt.

wow, really? even if it's a question of winning the whole race? that's a bit surprising for me. Or are the top20 gonna have tt bikes? that would make sense to me...

It is about money, else the big teams could bring their TT bikes and the small teams might not be able to so that would give an unfair advantage. They also dont have the standard teamcars there, they are riding in jeeps if I am not mistaking.

Ruudz0r said:
Jakub said:
Gloin22 said:
Jakub said:
why don't they use TT bikes? Is it forbidden?
Because logistics. Zero point bringing extra TT bikes across the Dubai/Qatar/Oman stretch when there's just one short tt.
wow, really? even if it's a question of winning the whole race? that's a bit surprising for me. Or are the top20 gonna have tt bikes? that would make sense to me...
It is about money, else the big teams could bring their TT bikes and the small teams might not be able to so that would give an unfair advantage. They also dont have the standard teamcars there, they are riding in jeeps if I am not mistaking.
And yes, as long as the rulebook says that TT will be on normal bikes, TT bikes are forbidden, even if some team was willing to pay for transport of additional bike for their race favourite. This is quite common on races below World Tour level in order to limit costs.

Re:

SafeBet said:
This is the best we've seen EBH in a long time. Hadn't won an ITT in 7 years.

It's 6 years since he won the ITT in Tour of Oman but I take your point. He started to rebuild his form and confidence last year after a really poor (by his standards) final year at Sky and was especially impressive at the Tour of Britain which was a good way for him to finish the season. I still don't have any trust in him to be able to manage the distance in the monuments but in top form he can be a very entertaining rider at races throughout the year.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site

Jakub said:

I guess you are new to racing because this is not a new trend. The restriction on TT bikes for far away races has been a thing for years. Qatar is hardly the only race that puts this restriction on time trials.

RedheadDane said:
yaco said:
The WC will be a crapshoot with temperetaures around 40c - Anyone could win the WC.

Anyone who can stand temperatures of around 40 degree C...

sptdw3046_670.jpg