2016 TV coverage USA

It appears we have entered the road racing wasteland with the demise of Universal Sports. NBCSN was picking up their schedule and showing cycling along with other olympic sports mostly on their station Universal HD. (DISH 247 and you must buy a special package to get it.)

So far all they have carried is TDU on time delay. No Andalucia as in previous years and KBK doesn't seem to be scheduled either. My fingers are crossed for PN!!

Has anyone in the USA found TV coverage anywhere?
 
Re:

Catwhoorg said:
BEIn Sports normally has some. I haven't been looking hard at their imminent schedule though.
They have the RCS races. Usually the first thing they carried was Roma Maxima (now defunct) and Strade Bianchi.

My DVR will find any cycling coverage on all channels I subscribe to using a 'seek and record' timer. beIN shows a lot more coverage on line than on tv though so it always pays to check there also :).
 
A full schedule appears! It looks as if one must now subscribe to 3 tv channels and one online (Cycling TV) to get the best coverage which still leaves out a plethora of races. At least it's a plan! Cycling TV bought the rights to 70% of Universal Sports catalog.....

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/02/news/where-to-watch-cycling-on-tv-this-year_396430

EDIT:Upon review Cycling TV (which is an online Only service) bought 85% of Universals Sports catalog.

The Worlds are Not carried by anyone :(.
 
Thanks for that link.

At least the Vuelta is off Universal, which I couldn't get access to, and onto NBCSN, which I have.

I may be able to watch more this year than previous years, even before considering a cycling.TV subscription..
 
Re:

Catwhoorg said:
Thanks for that link.

At least the Vuelta is off Universal, which I couldn't get access to, and onto NBCSN, which I have.

I may be able to watch more this year than previous years, even before considering a cycling.TV subscription..
I'm happy for you! Any increase is good :).

Obviously I will get much less without buying CyclingTV. But I could drop Universal HD, I had to buy an additional package to get it, as they have little of value on their list. That would cover adding CyclingTV. However I do Not trust that NBCSN won't just dump the Vuelta over on Universal HD. I can repurchase the extra package quickly if they do though.

What I really dislike is the necessity to be available for on line streaming instead of having the option to DVR it and watch later without knowing results. Sigh!
 
My experience is that often the time they give for the telecast tends to not be etched in stone. It can go from being off by a couple of minutes to, being off the scheduled time by an hour or more. It has been way too often that I've set my DVR to record and when I settle down, giddy with anticipation, only to find that they've decided to broadcast curling or equestrian or some other sport, with that being the only time it's being shown. You almost have to record for a range of 4 hours around the scheduled telecast, hoping that it might fall within that range. It's inexcusable but it shows how little importance they place on cycling. Very frustrating. :mad: :(
 
Carols said:
It appears we have entered the road racing wasteland with the demise of Universal Sports. NBCSN was picking up their schedule and showing cycling along with other olympic sports mostly on their station Universal HD. (DISH 247 and you must buy a special package to get it.)

So far all they have carried is TDU on time delay. No Andalucia as in previous years and KBK doesn't seem to be scheduled either. My fingers are crossed for PN!!

Has anyone in the USA found TV coverage anywhere?
I had stints with cycling.tv, Versus, Universal Sports, OLN, etc...but I gave up all that stuff years ago. I've never had trouble finding a stream through the various sites I have bookmarked (including this forum) and I just plug my laptop into the flatscreen. And between Youtube, steephill, etc...you can usually watch at least the business end of the races after the fact if you've missed it. Add to that cyclingtorrents if you want to watch a complete stage or race and it's been years since I haven't been able to watch any race I want to see, provided it was televised at all.
 
Angliru said:
My experience is that often the time they give for the telecast tends to not be etched in stone. It can go from being off by a couple of minutes to, being off the scheduled time by an hour or more. It has been way too often that I've set my DVR to record and when I settle down, giddy with anticipation, only to find that they've decided to broadcast curling or equestrian or some other sport, with that being the only time it's being shown. You almost have to record for a range of 4 hours around the scheduled telecast, hoping that it might fall within that range. It's inexcusable but it shows how little importance they place on cycling. Very frustrating. :mad: :(
That is only NBCSN and yes I set the DVR 1 hour before and 2 hours after for them :). They have the Vuelta, geez I hope they show it live!!!

beIN is good with the schedule once they put it up, you just have to wait for them to show it on the schedule. But my DVR has a 'seek and record' timer set up so it finds it for me :).
 
jaylew said:
Carols said:
It appears we have entered the road racing wasteland with the demise of Universal Sports. NBCSN was picking up their schedule and showing cycling along with other olympic sports mostly on their station Universal HD. (DISH 247 and you must buy a special package to get it.)

So far all they have carried is TDU on time delay. No Andalucia as in previous years and KBK doesn't seem to be scheduled either. My fingers are crossed for PN!!

Has anyone in the USA found TV coverage anywhere?
I had stints with cycling.tv, Versus, Universal Sports, OLN, etc...but I gave up all that stuff years ago. I've never had trouble finding a stream through the various sites I have bookmarked (including this forum) and I just plug my laptop into the flatscreen. And between Youtube, steephill, etc...you can usually watch at least the business end of the races after the fact if you've missed it. Add to that cyclingtorrents if you want to watch a complete stage or race and it's been years since I haven't been able to watch any race I want to see, provided it was televised at all.
Yeah I know all about all that, it is my final recourse. I can't describe how much I prefer watching HD with no dropouts on my 40" tv compared to crappy streams or youtube later. But if that is the best I can do well that is what I do if I'm available when it is live. It is how I watched Andalucia this year as opposed to either live on TV or on the dvr without knowing the results on Universal Sports last year.

It seems like every year there are new hoops placed in front of the USA cycling fan. But at least now we have a schedule!
 
Mar 11, 2009
1,005
0
0
I am pretty sure I have Paris-Nice set to DVR for Sunday on Comcast in NJ. Maybe it is whatever the old versus NBC sports is but I am not certain because there was a channel the showed some of the track and cyclocross WCs along with TDU highlights. I don't get BEIN so it was not that. It would have been channel 200+ if that makes sense or is of any use.
 
Re:

Nick C. said:
I am pretty sure I have Paris-Nice set to DVR for Sunday on Comcast in NJ. Maybe it is whatever the old versus NBC sports is but I am not certain because there was a channel the showed some of the track and cyclocross WCs along with TDU highlights. I don't get BEIN so it was not that. It would have been channel 200+ if that makes sense or is of any use.
Universal HD (channel 247 on Dish) had TDU and cyclocross, plus track worlds are on this week. I don't get any Comcast stations but will get PN as indicated in post above.
 
Carols said:
jaylew said:
Carols said:
It appears we have entered the road racing wasteland with the demise of Universal Sports. NBCSN was picking up their schedule and showing cycling along with other olympic sports mostly on their station Universal HD. (DISH 247 and you must buy a special package to get it.)

So far all they have carried is TDU on time delay. No Andalucia as in previous years and KBK doesn't seem to be scheduled either. My fingers are crossed for PN!!

Has anyone in the USA found TV coverage anywhere?
I had stints with cycling.tv, Versus, Universal Sports, OLN, etc...but I gave up all that stuff years ago. I've never had trouble finding a stream through the various sites I have bookmarked (including this forum) and I just plug my laptop into the flatscreen. And between Youtube, steephill, etc...you can usually watch at least the business end of the races after the fact if you've missed it. Add to that cyclingtorrents if you want to watch a complete stage or race and it's been years since I haven't been able to watch any race I want to see, provided it was televised at all.
Yeah I know all about all that, it is my final recourse. I can't describe how much I prefer watching HD with no dropouts on my 40" tv compared to crappy streams or youtube later. But if that is the best I can do well that is what I do if I'm available when it is live. It is how I watched Andalucia this year as opposed to either live on TV or on the dvr without knowing the results on Universal Sports last year.

It seems like every year there are new hoops placed in front of the USA cycling fan. But at least now we have a schedule!
Yeah, it's frustrating. I dumped cable years ago so now I just try to embrace all of it as just part of this rather behind the times, unorganized sport. :p
 
Mar 14, 2009
3,436
0
0
cantpedal said:
HOLA browser plug-in and a eurosport player subscription very reasonable - plus the break from Phil and Paul

and they have the last week or so on demand
That's how I roll. For many years, I only stream everything online and record major races to reply in HD or I just get a HD reply on youTube few hours after the race if I cant watch it live.
 
So Wednesday the real dilemma starts. PN streaming on NBCSN and TA on beIN. Neither on tv to record, but PN will be available on demand later so I guess I watch TA live and PN later.

beIN had both Strade Bianche and TA on tv the last few years but not a sign of it now, not even a recap show :(. Watch the live stream or nothing are the choices :(.
 
Re:

Carols said:
So Wednesday the real dilemma starts. PN streaming on NBCSN and TA on beIN. Neither on tv to record, but PN will be available on demand later so I guess I watch TA live and PN later.

beIN had both Strade Bianche and TA on tv the last few years but not a sign of it now, not even a recap show :(. Watch the live stream or nothing are the choices :(.
As I said earlier you can use the HOLA plugin for Chrome to get a European IP then sign up for a Eurosport player pass at @ 6$ a month. watched the race to day had a 720P stream that was rock solid. They also have races on demand the next day and they are available for about a week.
 
Re: Re:

cantpedal said:
Carols said:
So Wednesday the real dilemma starts. PN streaming on NBCSN and TA on beIN. Neither on tv to record, but PN will be available on demand later so I guess I watch TA live and PN later.

beIN had both Strade Bianche and TA on tv the last few years but not a sign of it now, not even a recap show :(. Watch the live stream or nothing are the choices :(.
As I said earlier you can use the HOLA plugin for Chrome to get a European IP then sign up for a Eurosport player pass at @ 6$ a month. watched the race to day had a 720P stream that was rock solid. They also have races on demand the next day and they are available for about a week.
Well I already have a dish and your solution doesn't offer me anything better then I have now, as a matter of fact it offers less as I actually get some races on tv so I can DVR them. Your solution is a lot cheaper though :)
 
is Paris-Nice even on the NBC Live Extra app? i don't see it anywhere on the schedule. i wasn't awake in time to catch the prologue so i was looking for it under "full event replays" and it isn't there.
 
Re:

zlev11 said:
is Paris-Nice even on the NBC Live Extra app? i don't see it anywhere on the schedule. i wasn't awake in time to catch the prologue so i was looking for it under "full event replays" and it isn't there.
It should show up, it was definitely on. Awesome resolution stream, never dropped once. Initially there is no commentary but later some knowledgeable English speaking person provides commentary.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY