• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, Info & Discussion

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

CatsNK said:
I'm disappointed that Froome will be at the Vuelta. I hope it doesn't make it as boring as the TdF was as a result of his participation. Hope for better performances from Quintana and Contador, I guess.

The Tour wasn't boring because of Froome, it was boring because he had a crazy strong train also peaking for the Tour and taking it in turns to keep the pace high and pull back attacks. That won't be the case nearly as much in the Vuelta.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
rick james said:
CatsNK said:
I'm disappointed that Froome will be at the Vuelta. I hope it doesn't make it as boring as the TdF was as a result of his participation. Hope for better performances from Quintana and Contador, I guess.
Has Froome ever been boring at the Vuelta? sky race the Vuelta differently
Not really, they still are at the front all the time. The only difference is that froome is usually worse.
I still remember 2014 La Camperona when Cataldo set a pace that was so high that Froome was almost dropped and in the end he still beat the other gc riders. :D
Yoyo Froome is usually fun to watch.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

vedrafjord said:
CatsNK said:

The Tour wasn't boring because of Froome, it was boring because he had a crazy strong train also peaking for the Tour and taking it in turns to keep the pace high and pull back attacks. That won't be the case nearly as much in the Vuelta.

Good point. Hoping for a competitive battle without a single crazy strong team!

vedrafjord said:
CatsNK said:

The Tour was borig becouse Quitana wasnt at his usual level. The same Pinot.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

vedrafjord said:
CatsNK said:

Yeah, super strong teams are what makes a race boring, even when their leader sucks they make it boring, like the 2012 Liquigas on the Giro with a the leadfooted Basso... Weaker teams open up the race.

veji11 said:
vedrafjord said:
CatsNK said:

Yeah, super strong teams are what makes a race boring, even when their leader sucks they make it boring, like the 2012 Liquigas on the Giro with a the leadfooted Basso... Weaker teams open up the race.
its always down to team leaders either way.

dacooley said:
veji11 said:
vedrafjord said:
CatsNK said:

its always down to team leaders either way.
Hmm. But at the 2012 Giro Liquigas somehow was surprised how bad Basso actually was. They still expected him to improve until in fact he even faded away. Otherwise I guess they wouldn't have chased down one of Cunegos earlier attacks, since they didn't reeled back in him and De Gendt later on when it was clear that Ivan ain't gonna win the Giro!

RattaKuningas said:
CatsNK said:

I'm not disappointed because I want to see Contador drop him. :D

Yeah? What would be hilarious would be Froome dropping Contador. The other way round is alright anyway. Froome is waaaaaaaaayyyy ahead this season, as always.
Cracking Contador twice inthe Dauphine would have given him enough confidence already.

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site

silvergrenade said:
RattaKuningas said:
CatsNK said:

Yeah? What would be hilarious would be Froome dropping Contador. The other way round is alright anyway. Froome is waaaaaaaaayyyy ahead this season, as always.
Cracking Contador twice inthe Dauphine would have given him enough confidence already.

It is unprobable since Froome did not only the whole Tour, but then travel to Brasil to join the Olympic race, so no rest and low probability to win... .

lartiste said:
silvergrenade said:
RattaKuningas said:
CatsNK said:

It is unprobable since Froome did not only the whole Tour, but then travel to Brasil to join the Olympic race, so no rest and low probability to win... .

Agreed, but you never know. If he can limit his losses to under 2 mins in the mountains, and his rivals have some bad luck(not that I'm wishing for it) he can definitely be a contender. If anybody can do the double, its Froome. Last year's Vuelta finished for him with a lot of what ifs. And Rio was more of a training and he would have recovered from the Tour legs but maintaining that peak would be tough.

Unless either Froome or Quintana shows up in good form, which is an unknown, Contador should definitely win this race. Well, he should win no matter what if he still wants to be considered as a top tier GC-rider.

While Chaves is good and has a good track record in La Vuelta, I doubt he will contend for the overall. He has to have 2 minutes before the ITT if Contador is intact and the two others are out of the equation. I don't believe in anyone else, MAL is a phenomenon, but its his first GT.

silvergrenade said:
Jakub said:
silvergrenade said:
If anybody cannot do the double, its Froome.

I fixed it for you.

Who gives a damn what you think man? Taking digs at people who don't love contador is what you generally do instead of ever doing a tangible discussion. Enjoy the next year. Then wait for Bentacur. ( Yes, I went through your posts)
Just... don't go there. Both of you

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Unless either Froome or Quintana shows up in good form, which is an unknown, Contador should definitely win this race. Well, he should win no matter what if he still wants to be considered as a top tier GC-rider.

While Chaves is good and has a good track record in La Vuelta, I doubt he will contend for the overall. He has to have 2 minutes before the ITT if Contador is intact and the two others are out of the equation. I don't believe in anyone else, MAL is a phenomenon, but its his first GT.

Mikel Landa might do an incredible ride provided he rides it.