• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, Info & Discussion

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Wow, very nice topic. A lot of extra info on the stages here. Kewl!

The parcours is the most ridiculous I've ever seen. And then I though the Vuelta couldn't get more ridiculous than in recent years.

I see one stage that is flat all the way, But then again, that's the day we enter Madrid. :D crazy!

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Jakub said:
silvergrenade said:
If anybody cannot do the double, its Froome.

I fixed it for you.
Actually, the one who has shown that he cannot do the double is Contador.
Giro-Tour double is harder than Tour-Vuelta. He never attempted the latter. Froome showed he can't do the Tour-Vuelta double, at least in an Olympic year, in 2012.

Which is a totally different situation to 2015, tho. Don't you agree he was one of the favourites when he crashed out? I think, especially in hindsight - the level was relatively low. He definitely could've done it, IMO.

Valv.Piti said:
Which is a totally different situation to 2015, tho. Don't you agree he was one of the favourites when he crashed out? I think, especially in hindsight - the level was relatively low. He definitely could've done it, IMO.
I don't know. It seems possible that he would have collapsed in the final week like in 2012. But we will never know.

silvergrenade said:
Valv.Piti said:
Unless either Froome or Quintana shows up in good form, which is an unknown, Contador should definitely win this race. Well, he should win no matter what if he still wants to be considered as a top tier GC-rider.

While Chaves is good and has a good track record in La Vuelta, I doubt he will contend for the overall. He has to have 2 minutes before the ITT if Contador is intact and the two others are out of the equation. I don't believe in anyone else, MAL is a phenomenon, but its his first GT.

Mikel Landa might do an incredible ride provided he rides it.

He rides it. Question is how rested he will be. I must admit I forgot him and after he some miles in his legs after his bad winter/spring where I assume he didn't get that much in, I actually think he could do really well, but the course isn't favourable for him IMO. Its the same case as Chaves tho, they need to have put significant amount of time into Contador and I very much doubt it will happen.

Thinking about it, assuming Froome won't be the Froome we know which is plausible, Alberto can play it defensively considering the guys he is going up against up until the ITT. Knowing Alberto, he probably won't do it, but if he is say at a Giro 2015-level (which should be enough to win, IMO), its his best strategy. He basically won the race on that ITT against Landa. Its obviously a whole other discussion if Landa was free to do whatever, but he blasted that ITT, while he was somewhat mediocre (relatively) in the mountains.

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
I don't know. It seems possible that he would have collapsed in the final week like in 2012. But we will never know.

We will never know which is a shame. Same for Alberto in 2014 and 2016. We got robbed, Froome might've collapsed, who knows. But I think he looked good, definitely better than 2012 where there already was chinks in his armour relatively early on whereas he actually seemed to PROGRESS in 2015.

He seemed to progress because he was dropped by way too many people on a relatively straightforward climb on one stage in 2015. While in 2012 the only* moment of weakness in the first 9 stages was the final sprint against two very punchy riders in Andorra after doing most of the attacking on the climb before.

*he looked somewhat challenged to respond to attacks in Arrate as well

Re:

roundabout said:
He seemed to progress because he was dropped by way too many people on a relatively straightforward climb on one stage in 2015. While in 2012 the only* moment of weakness in the first 9 stages was the final sprint against two very punchy riders in Andorra after doing most of the attacking on the climb before.

*he looked somewhat challenged to respond to attacks in Arrate as well

I don't disagree per se, but I definitely think his form trajectory (given the Olympics in 2012) was different in those two editions.

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:

We will never know which is a shame. Same for Alberto in 2014 and 2016. We got robbed, Froome might've collapsed, who knows. But I think he looked good, definitely better than 2012 where there already was chinks in his armour relatively early on whereas he actually seemed to PROGRESS in 2015.
I ofc also don't know but he didn't look extremely strong to me. Even in the stage he almost won he he dropped early on and did a Yo-Yo, which usually is a sign that he is good but not in top shape. The level of that vuelta was however so bad that even a mediocre froome could have won. Who knows.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Valverde is so stupid. He could have won Lombardia with some rest and riding the Canadian Classics. Now he won't make an impact in the Vuelta and *** up his chances in Lombardia.

Really, i don't understand Movistar either. Never heard of maximizing your chances? And not burning your best rider?

Unbelievable

Re:

Moviestar said:
Vuelta : Nairo Quintana, Alejandro Valverde, Rubén Fernández, Jonathan Castroviejo, José Joaquín Rojas, José Herrada, Rory Sutherland and Imanol Erviti. One spot left.

According to Sergi Lopez Quintana has found his form back.

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/noticias/deportes/ciclismo-vuelta-espana-valverde-movistar-quintana-5323308

NAAAICU

We back. Valverde's shape should be questionable, as should Quintana's, but both are present. Fernandez needs to get his *** together, so does Jose Herrada, but Erviti and Sutherland are some of the best domestiques out there. Especially Sutherland, he has been extremely good this year.

vedrafjord said:
CatsNK said:
I'm disappointed that Froome will be at the Vuelta. I hope it doesn't make it as boring as the TdF was as a result of his participation. Hope for better performances from Quintana and Contador, I guess.

The Tour wasn't boring because of Froome, it was boring because he had a crazy strong train also peaking for the Tour and taking it in turns to keep the pace high and pull back attacks. That won't be the case nearly as much in the Vuelta.

Actually, I see a good chance of Froome dominating and winning Vuelta. Vuelta, Easier race, Froome took bronze at Olympics, showing excellent for, on a course which did not suit him. Contador, is done for the season, and Quintana, well, taking his slide, like TJ.

Mayomaniac said:
Gigs_98 said:
rick james said:
CatsNK said:
I'm disappointed that Froome will be at the Vuelta. I hope it doesn't make it as boring as the TdF was as a result of his participation. Hope for better performances from Quintana and Contador, I guess.
Has Froome ever been boring at the Vuelta? sky race the Vuelta differently
Not really, they still are at the front all the time. The only difference is that froome is usually worse.
I still remember 2014 La Camperona when Cataldo set a pace that was so high that Froome was almost dropped and in the end he still beat the other gc riders. :D
Yoyo Froome is usually fun to watch.
Froome drops Contador because of proper pacing and cadence. You can see when he attacks, which is a good 5 minutes after Contador, he has another sprocket on the casette and is spinning at 100 cadence compared to Conti's 80. I wonder who will be the first to spin like Froome?

This Charming Man said:
vedrafjord said:
CatsNK said:

The Tour wasn't boring because of Froome, it was boring because he had a crazy strong train also peaking for the Tour and taking it in turns to keep the pace high and pull back attacks. That won't be the case nearly as much in the Vuelta.

Actually, I see a good chance of Froome dominating and winning Vuelta. Vuelta, Easier race, Froome took bronze at Olympics, showing excellent for, on a course which did not suit him. Contador, is done for the season, and Quintana, well, taking his slide, like TJ.

What makes you think this?

hammerthaim said:
Froome drops Contador because of proper pacing and cadence. You can see when he attacks, which is a good 5 minutes after Contador, he has another sprocket on the casette and is spinning at 100 cadence compared to Conti's 80. I wonder who will be the first to spin like Froome?
That's nonsense. Every rider is different and Froome's in the saddle coffee mill 120rpm style isn't the best for everyone. Alberto does best out of the saddle with a bigger gear so he can use his weight to his full advantage. When he attacks he ups his cadence just slightly to put out more Watts but it is ridiculous to suggest one riding style is better than another when we're talking about different riders and both have dropped one another with their different styles.

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I'm really looking forward for the performance of some young guns: Latour, Superman López, Elissonde, Barguil, Carthy, Seb Henao, Verona(?)

Re:

Arredondo said:
Valverde is so stupid. He could have won Lombardia with some rest and riding the Canadian Classics. Now he won't make an impact in the Vuelta and **** up his chances in Lombardia.

Really, i don't understand Movistar either. Never heard of maximizing your chances? And not burning your best rider?

Unbelievable

Vuelta ends on Sep.11, Lombardia is three weeks laters. That's more than enough time to recover for a race no one peaks for.

Max Rockatansky said:
Arredondo said:
Valverde is so stupid. He could have won Lombardia with some rest and riding the Canadian Classics. Now he won't make an impact in the Vuelta and **** up his chances in Lombardia.

Unbelievable

Vuelta ends on Sep.11, Lombardia is three weeks laters. That's more than enough time to recover for a race no one peaks for.

Vuelta will be Valverde's third GT in a same year. Even someone as strong as him is in no condition to challenge for a monument after doing all 3 GTs back to back.