• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta, stage 4: Betanzos > San Andrés de Teixido

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

huangho said:
Can somebody explain me what is this sportmanship prize and why is given (Is there a points standard or something)? Or is totally subjective?
Don't know what you're talking about. The combined jersey goes to the rider that has amassed the most points, via an objective system that includes a roulette wheel and kindergartners sharing an abacus. The combativeness award goes to the most famous home rider on the break (in lieu of a home rider they draw straws).

If that was a genuine question, other placings->combined, jury votes ->combativeness. Oh, and congrats to l'enfant and el puma.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Movistar is so stupid... they were burning fernandez for nothing, or they really think that valverde could make the difference in a 200 m uphill sprint?

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Breh said:
portugal11 said:
Movistar is so stupid... they were burning fernandez for nothing, or they really think that valverde could make the difference in a 200 m uphill sprint?
If you drop that early it's not because Movistar is 'burning' him, it is because hes not good enough.
TV cameras showed him slaving away for Valverde in the lead-up to the climb, so we've got objective proof Movistar burned him.

Alpe di Poti in Giro
Alpe d'Huez last year
Descending Tourmalet in 2014

The guy attacks. People see what they want to see.

Contador was in trouble yesterday. Why not sprint at the end today to see if he is still in difficulty?

He works for Quintana. But people don't see it.

Re:

barmaher said:
Alpe di Poti in Giro
Alpe d'Huez last year
Descending Tourmalet in 2014

The guy attacks. People see what they want to see.

Contador was in trouble yesterday. Why not sprint at the end today to see if he is still in difficulty?

He works for Quintana. But people don't see it.
People want a return to the wonderful days of yore when everyone attacked themselves to exhaustion and then Anquetil won without taking off his blazer.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
Today, the only thing I think that you could reasonably criticize Movistar for, is not making sure the bonus seconds were in play, but YMMV.

I think they wanted to pass the jersey to someone else and they did that. Atapuma is dangerous so they couldn't give him too much time. That's it

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Valv.Piti said:
Just about the most versatile GC-rider in the world :eek:
Yeah.

He can sprint from 200 m.
He can sprint from 201 m.
He can sprint from 199 m... :eek:

Yeah, I never understood where people got this idea from that he's so versatile.

He can climb and sprint well. Since climbers are usually notoriously bad at sprinting someone like Valverde really stands out and can win a lot of races by simply surviving the hills/climbs. That's it basically.

Vincenzo Nibali, for example, is better at climbing, descending, cobbles and time trials. But because he lacks a sprint it's harder for him to win the same amount of races. We saw at the Olympic Road Race who was the better one of the two though. A shame he crashed, but he was risking everything for gold, not bronze or silver (like Valverde would have done).

Is Boonen versatile because he can "only" sprint and ride over cobbles really well? I've seen many people call Boonen one-dimensional.

TRENDING THREADS