• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Giro d'Italia, Stage 4: Cefalú - Etna 181 km

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sorry posted this in the Nairo thread by mistake ....
Didn't see the stage but it seems the GC kept their power dry with Nibali just testing the waters. Probably a bit of a letdown after the fireworks let off by Contador on Etna in 2011. I am encouraged that some think Kruijswijk can challenge in the 3rd week I would love to see him put the hurt on Nibs after last year's injustice. Quintana probably holding back with his TdF ambitions, the other GC teams need to put the hurt on him this Giro or else they will pay the price in the TdF.

Re: Re:

Eagle said:
silvergrenade said:
So, I read on Twitter Diego Rosa used his elbow on Moreno.
If this is true, then its only fair to DQ him too

Reliable source on twitter or some random fan?
It's probably similar situation as with Grivko/Kittel or Boeckmans/Jules- it really makes no sense for Moreno to act like that if there was no prior action from the other side. What we saw was probably just reaction to that, but still, shameful.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Petilli is a great climbing prospect, maybe he could finish top 20 on gc, but a stage win would be much better.
The UAE team is doing go, they send a really young team because they lost Atapuma, Durasek and Niemiec because of crashes and now they already have a stage win and a 2nd place.
I don't know what happened at the start, only one decent climber was able to enter the breakaway and he won the stage.

Moreno elbows first, then Rosa elbows and finally Moreno loses his mind with the punch and throwing Rosa to the crowd... He should be banned for the rest of the season. The episode reminds me to that ocassion when Bos threw Impey out of his bike...

Both of them deserve to be thrown out of the race, no doubt. Punishing only Moreno would send out a wrong message, as his initial elbow shown in the video clip had to be a reaction to something that Rosa did or said prior to it. Provocation and the ensuing reaction should always be punished in equal measure, at least in sporting competitions. Acting otherwise would openly endorse devious attitude and behaviour within a competition.

Re:

Põhja Konn said:
Both of them deserve to be thrown out of the race, no doubt. Punishing only Moreno would send out a wrong message, as his initial elbow shown in the video clip had to be a reaction to something that Rosa did or said prior to it. Provocation and the ensuing reaction should always be punished in equal measure, at least in sporting competitions. Acting otherwise would openly endorse devious attitude and behaviour within a competition.
In the video above you could see what Rosa did. He threw an elbow when Moreno passed him and probably pushed him out of the way. It looked like a tamed elbow. You didn't even noticed. Then Moreno slowed down and threw a punch. Not satisfied with the punch he pushed him out into the crowds. Not comparable if you ask me.

This video: https://d.filebox.moe/ptmyvwop.mp4

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Pretty meh if Rosa is shown the door, he could be very beneficial for Landa to open up the race. Where was he today by the way?

Probably didn't get back to the bunch after his crash

Re:

woodburn said:
Four Cannondale in the group.

It really is quite strange why they didn't put anyone in the break. Woods or Rolland should have gone and would probably have got a stage win out of it as a result. I can understand Formolo and Carthy staying as they want to test their young GC legs against the best, Formolo especially, and rightly so.

Same can be said of CCC, Gazprom and Astana really. A bit of a puzzle why none of their riders went in the morning break.

Great ride by Polanc! So pleased he managed to hold on.

A predictably disappointing stage. GC situation prior the stage did not favour adventurous moves from bigger favourites and a strong headwind mostly cancelled uphill sprints during last 3k or so, that could have otherwise materialised. Riders even formed an echelon going up the mountain in one crosswind section and soon after road turned right into that wind.

As consequence we know nothing more about riders relative at this stage than we did in the morning. Logically and hopefully Blockhaus should reveal much more.