• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Strade Bianche, March 4th, 175 km WT

The baby monument finally debuts in the WT :)
The route is mostly the same as last year, with 2 new sectors in the first part. Note how they didn't even bother to change the final kms detail that marks the last sectors as 8-9. :D

SB17_ME_alt_web.jpg

SB17_ME_ukm_web.jpg

Race starts at 11.00 CET
Finish between 15.15 and 15.45 CET

Weather forecasts say rain during the race (not heavy though) and strong wind from south.

OFFICIAL STARTLIST
http://www.strade-bianche.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/CI0109PAR_SBMEN17.pdf

WINNERS
2007 Kolobnev
2008 Cancellara
2009 Lövkvist
2010 Iglinsky
2011 Gilbert
2012 Cancellara
2013 Moser
2014 Kwiatkowski
2015 Štybar
2016 Cancellara

It would be fun to see a 250 km Strade Bianche, but lets be realistic. Also, I don't quite see why they'd change anything drastically about the race when it has been so successful, its some of the best racing on the calendar. 25 km more wouldn't hurt, but does it really matter that much?

It has never rained during this race, right? How likely is that in March?

I think we should stop rain dancing before Strade Bianche and Paris Roubaix. It really didn't work in the last years and I have the feeling it only results in good weather. :D

Gigs_98 said:
It has never rained during this race, right? How likely is that in March?

I think we should stop rain dancing before Strade Bianche and Paris Roubaix. It really didn't work in the last years and I have the feeling it only results in good weather. :D
We can just melt the poles so that that part of France is under water. Unless it's a few m higher than where I live, then we'll wait until I move

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
Even if he comes in a small group, all he mustn't do is pull more than he should, then nobody will pose a threat on the ramp to Sienna.
Riders like GVA and Stybar will be as explosive or even more on the finish in Siena. Will be a hard race for Peter to win - GVA is my favourite.
Agree, GVA and Stybar look clear favourites from the startlist. Be interesting to see if Brambilla can repeat his performances last year (both at SB and on the Arezzo stage of the Giro).

Sky look strong as well. If good Kwiatkowski shows up he can do something again, and Rosa has form here as well.

Such a great race, a course that gives so many different riders a chance. I wonder if it was held in April/May rather than early March, would the results shift away from the classics riders and more towards the Ardennes climbers?

You all know who I'm rooting for ;) .

It's such a special race, and it takes a strongman to win it. GVA, Sagan, Stybar are the obvious favorites, and at the Strade, it's hard to bluff your way to a win. But still think that a second-tier favorite may take a chance and prevail. The Trek guys come to mind.

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
BigMac said:
Even if he comes in a small group, all he mustn't do is pull more than he should, then nobody will pose a threat on the ramp to Sienna.
Riders like GVA and Stybar will be as explosive or even more on the finish in Siena. Will be a hard race for Peter to win - GVA is my favourite.

True, but I am not so sure gva will be able to hold sagan's wheel here. The sterrato sections are much more suitable to sagan than to gva. Also, if gva misses the initial move, I can't remember him bridging. Stybar and kwiatkowski is whole other story though. When sagan makes the move, one of them will be on his wheel.