• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Giro d'Italia stage 8: Praia a Mare - Montevergine 209k

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Pantani_lives said:
The Montevergine isn't steep enough to create gaps between the top GC riders. A question is whether Mitchelton-S will ride to defend the pink jersey. I think a breakaway is possible, otherwise a sprint with a small group, with small gaps in the final km. Favorites: Ulissi, Wellens, Yates, Pozzovivo...
This is key, as they certainly have the team to defend it. Haig, Nieve and Kreuziger should have this covered.

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Pantani_lives said:
The Montevergine isn't steep enough to create gaps between the top GC riders. A question is whether Mitchelton-S will ride to defend the pink jersey. I think a breakaway is possible, otherwise a sprint with a small group, with small gaps in the final km. Favorites: Ulissi, Wellens, Yates, Pozzovivo...
This is key, as they certainly have the team to defend it. Haig, Nieve and Kreuziger should have this covered.

Send Kreziguer or Nieve in the break would be a cool tactic.

Who the [bleep] designed this road?! :D Finish of stage 8

stage-8-finish.jpg

Frankschleck said:
42x16ss said:
Pantani_lives said:

Send Kreziguer or Nieve in the break would be a cool tactic.

I was thinking the same thing. This stage is perfect for Kreuziger if he's given the freedom. May be unlikely but at 200-1 it's more than worth the risk. He was super on this climb in 2011 and his Ardennes results suggest he's going just as well now. If he gets in the break very few could beat him.

Kreuziger is a good call. Following on from Ardennes form, I like Wellens & Woods too for this finale. As for GC - I thought from day one that Yates was in career best form, the big question is can he maintain it into the 2nd/3rd weeks. But whether the answer to that is yes or no, it seems to be the case that he can take time now....so....he should.

Blanco said:
SHAD0W93 said:
MS would be crazy if they didn't send Kreuziger and aomeone else in the break so they do not have to work.

They could try certainly, but it won't be easy to get in the break for someone like Kreuziger. Many teams won't be happy with that.

Yeah, well, one would have thought that not many teams would be happy with letting Chaves get in the break the other day, but there you go...