• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Giro d'Italia stage 8: Praia a Mare - Montevergine 209k

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Blanco said:
SHAD0W93 said:
MS would be crazy if they didn't send Kreuziger and aomeone else in the break so they do not have to work.

They could try certainly, but it won't be easy to get in the break for someone like Kreuziger. Many teams won't be happy with that.

Yeah, well, one would have thought that not many teams would be happy with letting Chaves get in the break the other day, but there you go...

True..

Mitchelton-Scott looking for as many seconds as possible -
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bac...es-for-the-giro-ditalia-this-weekend-preview/
The team's strategy, too, remains identical prior to the Etna. "Both our guys have to get time before the time trial because we know that as much as their time trialling is improving, we know that they can't match Tom [Dumoulin ] and Chris [Froome], in particular, in a TT as flat as that one [on stage 16].

"We can't waste any opportunities to take time. That started on Mount Etna and they have to take the time when they can get it."

tobydawq said:
Blanco said:
SHAD0W93 said:
MS would be crazy if they didn't send Kreuziger and aomeone else in the break so they do not have to work.

They could try certainly, but it won't be easy to get in the break for someone like Kreuziger. Many teams won't be happy with that.

Yeah, well, one would have thought that not many teams would be happy with letting Chaves get in the break the other day, but there you go...

Tbf... they had been going at a crazy pace for about 50km when the break with Chaves happened. They had to slow down at some point is what Im saying. They might have seen that and tried to close the gap immedietly but then that would been another 10km-20km of high pace, but they never gave him more than 2-3 minutes either so..

Salvarani said:
tobydawq said:
Blanco said:
SHAD0W93 said:

Tbf... they had been going at a crazy pace for about 50km when the break with Chaves happened. They had to slow down at some point is what Im saying. They might have seen that and tried to close the gap immedietly but then that would been another 10km-20km of high pace, but they never gave him more than 2-3 minutes either so..

I realise that but I still think it was a very dangerous decision to let him go. Very nonchalant.

Imagine if Chris Juul had been up there as well. Then he could have drilled it on the flat, Haig on the first part of the climb and Chaves at the end and he could have gotten a lot more time.

I don't think the peloton had a full view of the situation before the break had been away in a while and I just don't think it's normal to let a GC favourite up the road (I don't really recall a similar incident).

Re:

Red Rick said:
I don't see what team would chase down this breakaway
EFD for Woods, QST for Schachmann, Katusha for Goncalves, BMC for Dennis, MTS for Yates, random team for no reason whatsoever. Could be any of those once we get over these initial climbs. Also the GC teams will be nervous about that coastal stretch. Even though it doesn't look like the wind will be strong enough sometimes just the threat of echelons can make everyone a bit nervous and the pace a lot higher than otherwise

It is quite amazing we are at stage 8 and both commentators don't understand the sprint points competitions.

Today there are points for the first 5 for the ciclamen jersey at the intermediate sprints. There are 7 in the break therefore no points available for the bunch. Both Kelly and Kirby didn't know.

Then as every day, twice per stage, they put up the first 5 on an on-screen graphic and state the points for the intermediate sprints competition. Kirby immediately thought the points referred to the ciclamen jersey competition. He must have made exactly the same error 12 times before in the last week.

Mind blowing.

Im thinking Yates and Pozzo have been so strong they must surely have come in peaking too early and will surely fade in the 3rd week. Although they haven't shown much yet I still believe Froome, Aru and Superman will be up there if they can get through today and particularly tomorrow without big losses.

Re:

alspacka said:
Im thinking Yates and Pozzo have been so strong they must surely have come in peaking too early and will surely fade in the 3rd week. Although they haven't shown much yet I still believe Froome, Aru and Superman will be up there if they can get through today and particularly tomorrow without big losses.
Pozzovivo, yes certainly. Especially since he's got a history of peaking too early (2012 Giro) and intended to get pink on Mount Etna.

Yates, I'm not quite sure. He's been climbing strong in P-N already and might've improved a lot this season.