• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Giro d'Italia: Stage-by-stage Analysis

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
ron-paul_its-happening1.gif

dhMeAzK.gif

2 things that disappoint me

Obvious missed opportunity is obvious for a lowest ever stage finish at the Dead Sea.

They go through a kms long tunnel at the start of the climb to Molina di Ledro while there's a way more scenic gravel road in that direction (totally unrealistic, but still)

Gotta say I'm positively surprised by the stages to Etna (better profile than I thought, steephill has a different profile), Osimo (MAL will hate it) and Sappada (would kill for Duran/Staulanza/Giau before Tre Coci one day). I just hate the overall emphasis on MTFs and lack of medium mountain stages.

Agree that the Jafferau stage is a huge gamble. I don't think it will work. But the first hour should be crazy in that stage.
For the Cervinia stage, I suppose Colle del Lys would be the obvious choice to climb in the first part of the stage.

My biggest hate goes to Pratonevoso. That part of Italy is criminally underused and we get that?

Apr 12, 2018
Visit site
Re:

Eshnar said:
STAGE 1: West Jerusalem ITT 9.7 km

G18_T01_Jerusalem_alt_jpg.jpg

G18_T01_Jerusalem_ITT_plan_jpg.jpg

Technical Overview:
For the first time in history the Giro starts outside of Europe. The first stage is a short ITT in West Jerusalem and it's an interesting one, quite technical and with some gradients (although the profile is inflated, you can find some 4-5% here and there). All in all is quite a nice prologue, where maybe some significant gaps can be made.

Final km
G18_T01_Jerusalem_ukm_jpg.jpg

What to Expect:
It's just a prologue, but it's not that easy, so GC guys will need to be serious about it. Pure climbers might lose quite some time already.

StiUqfM.jpg

Jerusalem
La pulce di policoro will not lose anytime...what the hell is wrong with you? why do you have to say that? ..for sure he will have bad luck now. :razz: :eek: :D

Re:

Red Rick said:
My biggest hate goes to Pratonevoso. That part of Italy is criminally underused and we get that?
Yeah, it is sad indeed.

Zama_Olyas said:
La pulce di policoro will not lose anytime...what the hell is wrong with you? why do you have to say that? ..for sure he will have bad luck now. :razz: :eek: :D
:D

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
@Eshnar
How long did it take you to prepare these 23 posts? :confused:
Around 10-14 days. It usually takes me a couple weeks every year.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
If i could make only one change I'd remove the Etna stage and add another proper medium mountain stage.
I'd replace Montevergine by decent medium mountain stage. What's up with that stage anyway with that avalanche or whatever happened?

Same for the stage to Lago d'Iseo

Pratonevoso I just want to replace with Fauniera-Madonna del Colletto

I am very unhappy that stages such as the one to Oropa last year and these to Montevergine and Prato Nevoso this year are becoming more and more frequent in the Giro. On the other hand, maybe we will see good action on Etna if there is no headwind. I also agree that Zoncolan is perfectly placed this time. The stages to Sappada and Cervinia should provide entertainment. Don't know what to expect from stage 19... could be extermely boring, but if Finestre is used well by some of the favourites and they have strong teammates ahead it could become a stage for the ages. Can't wait for the battle to start.

Re:

More Strides than Rides said:
Not all of the stages have detailed finishes, but aside from 10, it looks like the route avoids many of the tight, technical, corner-y sprint finishes that have become almost typical at the Giro? While I always liked them as a spectator, I think this is a good move.
yeah, where I thought the detailed planimetry was useless, I skipped it. I think here it's more due to the fact that there are not many sprint stages altogether, so the planimetry isn't that useful.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Eshnar said:
Bot. Sky_Bot said:
@Eshnar
How long did it take you to prepare these 23 posts? :confused:
Around 10-14 days. It usually takes me a couple weeks every year.

WOW just WOW!

The best race of the year deserves the best opening post of the year, and you have, once again, DELIVERED!

Big kudos to you!

TRENDING THREADS