• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Paris-Nice, 4/3-11/3

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win?

• Soler

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Barguil

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Fuglsang

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • S. Yates

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alaphilippe

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Poels

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Martin

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • De La Cruz

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Henao

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Chaves

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gigs_98 said:
How is it possible that the same freakin thing happens in this stage year after year. I think Soler won this time but again by less than 5 seconds, again after an attack on the same climb and again after the race leader already seemed to crack on the last climb but came back to the group in front of him again.
Fatigue, spring form, and absolute *** weather for the entirety of the race.

Stage
Clipboard.gif

GC
Clipboard.gif

Re:

Arredondo said:
Ion will regret this day for the rest of his life.

Why dropping back on the penultimate climb while being with Soler and De La Cruz?
I must admit that when it happened, I thought it was a case of getting dropped and not dropping back. Certainly the crucial moment for him.

edit: lol, if it was him...

Re:

El Pistolero said:
Very disappointing ride by Wellens. And why didn't one of the Izaguerre's follow Soler? He waited but why???
Yeah I hoped for an earlier attack too, but he still went for it on the last climb. I really didn't think the Soler group could keep this advantage before the short Eze ramp so in that situation I would have said "wait for the last climb" too. It seemed like the most reasonable tactic. Then on the last climb he tried but couldn't drop the others and since Soler was in front he couldn't play games too.
He certainly didn't ride this race perfectly but he didn't make a huge tactical mistake either.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Geraint Too Fast said:
Arredondo said:
El Pistolero said:
Very disappointing ride by Wellens. And why didn't one of the Izaguerre's follow Soler? He waited but why???

Mistake of the year by Ion there.

He let the race slipped out of his hands.

Are you sure that wasn't baby Nibali? They do look quite similar, I mixed them up yesterday.

I'm 100% sure it was Ion. He's got a very unique style.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Netserk said:
Arredondo said:
Ion will regret this day for the rest of his life.

Why dropping back on the penultimate climb while being with Soler and De La Cruz?
I must admit that when it happened, I thought it was a case of getting dropped and not dropping back. Certainly the crucial moment for him.

edit: lol, if it was him...

Yeah but like you said, based on the rest of the stage it looked like he was dropping back because he didn't dare.

Gigs_98 said:
El Pistolero said:
Yeah I hoped for an earlier attack too, but he still went for it on the last climb. I really didn't think the Soler group could keep this advantage before the short Eze ramp so in that situation I would have said "wait for the last climb" too. It seemed like the most reasonable tactic. Then on the last climb he tried but couldn't drop the others and since Soler was in front he couldn't play games too.
He certainly didn't ride this race perfectly but he didn't make a huge tactical mistake either.[/quote]

well if he dropped intentionally, he made a very big mistake, the one that probably cost him Paris-Nice title. With Gorka behind he had every reason to push on.

Arredondo said:
Geraint Too Fast said:
Arredondo said:
El Pistolero said:

Are you sure that wasn't baby Nibali? They do look quite similar, I mixed them up yesterday.

That must have been one of the most stupid things a rider has ever done. There isn't even a risk in following Soler. The worst case scenario would have been Orica spending all their helpers early which still would have been a really good scenario. If you don't follow Soler why even have two leaders in the first place.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
So much for a generational void, eh?

It is totally wonderful for Spain.

The Contadors, Valverde's, Puritos, Freires, Sanchez etc will never repeat because it is a once in a lifetime golden generation that was brewed riding the Perico-Indurain wave of popularity the 80's-90's.

But to be able to remain a big part of the cycling calendar with Landa, Soler, the Izagirre bros, De la Cruz, Castro, Mas, Fraile, Rosón etc is so joyful. (We were supposed to disappear from the big level elite).

Now we only need 1-2 teams more in the Pro-Conti level, recover races and take care of the amateur scene.

Blanco said:
Gigs_98 said:
El Pistolero said:
He certainly didn't ride this race perfectly but he didn't make a huge tactical mistake either.[/quote]

well if he dropped intentionally, he made a very big mistake, the one that probably cost him Paris-Nice title. With Gorka behind he had every reason to push on.
Did he deliberately drop too? I didn't watch the stage from the beginning. If yes there are no excuses. Sad considering his record of long range attacks.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
Arredondo said:
Geraint Too Fast said:
Arredondo said:
El Pistolero said:

That must have been one of the most stupid things a rider has ever done. There isn't even a risk in following Soler. The worst case scenario would have been Orica spending all their helpers early which still would have been a really good scenario. If you don't follow Soler why even have two leaders in the first place.

Totally agree! BM just messed it up.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Arredondo said:
LaFlorecita said:
Secretly hoping Soler fails in this attempt because he did naught in the break with Berto and De la Cruz last year. :redface:

He was the one who attacked this time.

Life continues ;)
I'm still bitter and it'll take a while for me to cheer for him ;) but at least he's more likeable to me than Roman Kreuziger.
Yep, Kreuziger deserves hate for serving loyal to Contador for years.

Is there contest for most biased forum member here? Because you are winning.

P.S. I know it won't help you, but I couldn't help myself.

TRENDING THREADS