• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Paris - Roubaix

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win Paris - Roubaix?

• Peter Sagan

Votes: 24 16.1%
  • Greg Van Avermaet

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Philippe Gilbert

Votes: 31 20.8%
  • Jasper Stuyven

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Oliver Naesen

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Sep Vanmarcke

Votes: 12 8.1%
  • Niki Terpstra

Votes: 24 16.1%
  • Zdenek Stybar

Votes: 14 9.4%
  • Wout Van Aert

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 26 17.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

loge1884 said:
again: having enough hot water for say 200 cyclists should be part of the organisation of the race ...
Lets be absolutely clear here; it was the 1980s. Imposing the standards of the 2010s and World Tours and team buses on a time when the race marshall’s car drove over Jesper Skibby on the Koppenberg is not a reasonable comparison. The riders were probably happy for the cold showers at the velodrome because they didn’t know if the Ibis they were staying in that night had running water.

I presume the plumbing is in better shape nowadays, but by the sounds of things it isn’t under quite as heavy a load either.

Hey everyone.
I just watched the last 40 k of Roubaix and am a little confused.
Sincere apologies if this has already been discussed, but why in the hell did the runner up take the lead with 1 km to go?
The leaders were not going to be caught, yet Dillier (sp?) laid out the red carpet for Sagan to win.

He took charge from 1 km to go and never thought to play cat and mouse on the velodrome, when it was obvious one of the two were going to win.
Again, apologies if I'm being redundant, but I can't wrap my melon around why the runner up would basically chaperone Sagan to the finish line.

I think he was a little nervous about being caught. I wouldn't imagine he was capable of thinking completely coherently so he probably found himself on the front and when he realised Sagan wouldn't pass him, I think he was worried that the pace would slow too much down if he began playing early. But he wasn't riding very fast anyway and on the last lap, they went very slowly, so it wasn't like he was leading out Sagan.

But yeah, he wasn't riding too smartly. Someone has to have the front in a two-man finish, though, and he lost the battle of nerves.

Dillier's an experienced track rider with a decent finishing kick himself, and sometimes they prefer to come from the front. There's not a lot of road to pass someone if the sprint hasn't started before the final bend (witness Tom Boonen trying to get past Matt Hayman in 2016).

From the moment they got into the velodrome, Dillier led in and went high up on the bank. If Sagan had started the sprint any earlier, he would have been leading Dillier out, with Dillier having the advantage of coming from higher up the bank, so gaining more speed.

They both started sprinting at pretty much the same time as each other, so I don't think Sagan got any benefit of being in Dillier's slipstream for that last 1km. I think he just had more speed.

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
I thought it was odd that Dillier didn't take a tighter/steeper line off the bank as a block maneuver. Then again, I hadn't ridden hundred of k's and been on the verge of that sort of greatness, so I think Dillier did a great job in any event.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I wonder what is going through the DS’s head in that situation. Do you stay silent to let your rider focus on the sprint or update him with time checks back to the chasers?

Re:

Durden93 said:
I wonder what is going through the DS’s head in that situation. Do you stay silent to let your rider focus on the sprint or update him with time checks back to the chasers?
I think once they get to the 1km with a 40s lead or whatever, you just let the guy go try and win the bike race. They were never getting caught at that stage, and even if they were Terpstra finishes 3rd in that 3-up sprint.

TRENDING THREADS