• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Tour of Flanders

Page 30 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win

• Peter Sagan

Votes: 40 28.0%
  • Greg Van Avermaet

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Philippe Gilbert

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Tiesj Benoot

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Michal Kwiatkowski

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Sep Vanmarcke

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Niki Terpstra

Votes: 14 9.8%
  • Zdenek Stybar

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Wout Van Aert

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other

Votes: 21 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Alexandre B. said:
This year, leaders have extreme difficulty to collaborate with each other when another strong rider is up the road.
Yeah, the Ardennes classics come in for a lot of criticism for their formulaic predictability. Rightly so at times. But the cobbled classics have been just as bad this year. The lack of co-operation between strong riders doesn't make for a great spectacle. As soon as a strong Quickstep rider gets a reasonable gap - it's race over.

This 200%. Getting sick of this Sagan/GVA rivalry. Flanders classics are quite meh this season regarding the raw skill and power between so many contenders. But the lack of tactics/cooperation added to QS domination is seen as a huge waste regarding the show potential this season offers..
It's really frustrating. At least thats my feeling. And it's not related to any fanboyism.

Well, after the last week, we can say few things.
1. The strongest rider of the strongest team have won the ronde
2. Gilbert is better on flat than on the helingens, guess what, roubaix is just a week away.
3. Sagan somehow lost his rouler skills, in which he was getting better in the last year. I am starting to wonder, if he is gambling with this year just to be competable at WC. The reported loss in weight by the Italian media could be confirming it. BTW, this race he actually did not make any mistake, but he would need his best days to fight against quickstep.
4. Boonen retirement was a salvation for quickstep. They should have been riding like this for years. Hell, I remember them being three on Sagan and still managed too loose, Standard, I would understand, but Sagan.
5. Each year, new names shine, which could be good for the future.

Red Rick said:
jaylew said:
alspacka said:
Luke Rowe DQ seems perfectly reasonable watching it back

https://streamable.com/71vjt
Really? Seems the opposite to me. He didn't want to cut through those people.
It was completely stupid and unnecessary to ride inbetween the spectators there.

I can see why the organisers DQ'd him, but its still a little harsh. He got jinked right and spotted the lamppost coming towards him, it was a split second decision and went around the crowd before coming back at the earliest opportunity.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Sagan with a pretty poor ride again today. He was riding extremely passively since he obviously realise he isn't in a shape that allows him to race differently - still, its kinda funny in the light of his recent comments about making a show. Not much show today apart from one, maybe two relatively weak and unsustainable attacks which never were going to amount to anything since he is a pretty poor rouleur at this moment. Still, he was the marginally the strongest on Paterberg, but I honestly don't think he could have raced different - had he been more aggressive he would simply have burnt himself out and wouldn't be able to put that kinda effort forth at that point. So I don't really dont buy into Sagan riding tactically bad today - no matter the circumstance he would have very little chances of winning.

I enjoyed todays race. It obviously wasn't 2017-esque, but a solid race which you always can expect out of RVV. As suspected and predicted by everyone, more or less, Gilbert, GVA and Sagan are all on a level below their 2017-shape which means everyone are pretty equal. It was a unpredictable race, but in the end, it was probably a very expected outcome - a QS win.

I think it was a mistake to burn off Oss with >30km to go on the front of a 30ish rider main group when there were 3 or 4 other teams (including QuickStep, obviously but also Bahrain, Astana) with better strength in numbers at the time who could/should have been doing the pacing.

As soon as Oss was off the back, Nibali went off the front. Then Terpstra bridges and everyone started looking at each other.

I thought when he got the gap over the Paterberg he might have had the legs to close Terpstra down. After all in the opposite situation 2 years ago he held Cancellara at bay all the way in, and really exploded the gap with 5 km to go. But clearly Terpstra is flying and Sagan isn’t quite right just now.

Leinster said:
Valv.Piti said:
Sagan with a pretty poor ride again today. He was riding extremely passively since he obviously realise he isn't in a shape that allows him to race differently - still, its kinda funny in the light of his recent comments about making a show. Not much show today apart from one, maybe two relatively weak and unsustainable attacks which never were going to amount to anything since he is a pretty poor rouleur at this moment. Still, he was the marginally the strongest on Paterberg, but I honestly don't think he could have raced different - had he been more aggressive he would simply have burnt himself out and wouldn't be able to put that kinda effort forth at that point. So I don't really dont buy into Sagan riding tactically bad today - no matter the circumstance he would have very little chances of winning.

I enjoyed todays race. It obviously wasn't 2017-esque, but a solid race which you always can expect out of RVV. As suspected and predicted by everyone, more or less, Gilbert, GVA and Sagan are all on a level below their 2017-shape which means everyone are pretty equal. It was a unpredictable race, but in the end, it was probably a very expected outcome - a QS win.

I think it was a mistake to burn off Oss with >30km to go on the front of a 30ish rider main group when there were 3 or 4 other teams (including QuickStep, obviously but also Bahrain, Astana) with better strength in numbers at the time who could/should have been doing the pacing.

As soon as Oss was off the back, Nibali went off the front. Then Terpstra bridges and everyone started looking at each other.

I thought when he got the gap over the Paterberg he might have had the legs to close Terpstra down. After all in the opposite situation 2 years ago he held Cancellara at bay all the way in, and really exploded the gap with 5 km to go. But clearly Terpstra is flying and Sagan isn’t quite right just now.

OS's would be gone after the kruisberg either way, it was so so that he got back after boonenberg. After paterbetg, he still got 30s, he was never to take that back.

Leinster said:
Valv.Piti said:

Yes. Exactly. Completely bad and incompetent managing from Bora Slovak DS. The same as in E3.

Sagan had only one teammate left. Why in the hell he was leading the peloton.?

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Finally I hope Valverde will be crushed in Fleche and LBL by anybody.

Not a problem if Terpancellara turns up and launches a couple of long range attacks. I'm guessing he's taking a break though.

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
jaylew said:
Red Rick said:
jaylew said:
alspacka said:
Luke Rowe DQ seems perfectly reasonable watching it back
https://streamable.com/71vjt
Really? Seems the opposite to me. He didn't want to cut through those people.
It was completely stupid and unnecessary to ride inbetween the spectators there.
Strange how we see it so differently. I'm thinking from cyclist perspective, that looked a lot different. Could have even been a split second of inattention. In any case, I certainly don't think it warranted a DQ.
Rowe didn't need to leave the road at that point, he just decided that he wanted to. First, he forced a woman holding her baby to step back across the footpath in order to dodge him... then he almost wiped out a couple holding their ~5-year-old child. Having watched and re-watched now the replays, I don't feel sorry for him at all.
Commissaires seeing how Rowe could have caused serious injury to an infant, that's the most likely explanation for a DQ. Upon review of the video, how could that be considered acceptable
Whole peloton was drifting toward the inside but Rowe had other bike-handling options in this situation

I can imagine from his point of view, he was faced with a casual "guy coming on my right, " which was met with a very casual "still 60k to go, don't need to throw shoulders, just veer right". But he was wrong, and that evaluation was short-sighted (so to speak, given the already fraction-of-a-second decision it was.) I agree with other posters that on it's own, it is an innocent move, but it is clear that everything taken with hindsight, it was dangerous. Warranted DQ.

Re:

The Blues said:
Massively impressive ride from Mads Pedersen to attack so far out and hold on for 2nd place with all the favourites hunting him down. Especially considering this was his first participation at De Ronde and his young age (22). The young Danes were particularly strong today with Valgren finishing 4th as well.
Indeed. Cort was excellent as well. Can't help but wonder what could've been though. Mads was so, so close to holding Terpstra's wheel on the Paterberg, and he's quite fast. I believe he would've won, had he been able to! :surprised:

Chapeau to Terpstra. Whatever might be said about QS & tactics (and obviously that is relevant), that was a hugely impressive individual ride - dropping Nibali like a stone, bridging alone to the break, dropping them all and tt'ing home. You have to say he was simply the strongest guy in the race. And he's been super strong through the classics season.

Re:

jaylew said:
Surprising Gilbert never had a go himself. I know Stybar attacked and Terpstra did twice. Actually, it seems like most of the big names tried something at some point.

3rd Terpstra-Gilbert double podium this year.

I'm sure Gilbert would've been the plan if Sagan, GCA etc had teamed up to pull back Terpstra then Gilbert would've just followed wheels and attacked.

All in all a beautifully executed plan by Quickstep. With no cohesion amongst the other leading riders they would've won on just about any scenario.

Carstenbf said:
The Blues said:
Massively impressive ride from Mads Pedersen to attack so far out and hold on for 2nd place with all the favourites hunting him down. Especially considering this was his first participation at De Ronde and his young age (22). The young Danes were particularly strong today with Valgren finishing 4th as well.
Indeed. Cort was excellent as well. Can't help but wonder what could've been though. Mads was so, so close to holding Terpstra's wheel on the Paterberg, and he's quite fast. I believe he would've won, had he been able to! :surprised:

Every Danish cycling page would probably have exploded if that had happened!

Re:

Echoes said:
I haven't had time to read the reviews, better things to do I guess but did Sagan-fanboys/idolaters have the balls to claim that nobody worked along with him, this time?

I'm indifferent to Sagan but to say no one would work with him would simply be a neutral and blindingly obvious statement of fact, no?

Re: 2018 Ronde van Vlaanderen

Lol things really never change on CN. The guy has been tugged by domestiques from other teams all the way to the Paterberg, he never got in the lead, but still nobody works with him... And then those fanboys would make me believe it's a fact that nobody collaborates with him... So funny!

TRENDING THREADS