• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 World Championship - fight for team leadership

3 different Colombian riders have already stated they are targeting the worlds: Uran, Lopez, Betancur.
I imagine Nairo, Henao, Chavez all feel they should be the leaders. Going from a team with no leaders, to Gaviria this year was great.

For Spain, Landa and Valverde also want to target it (lucky that Contador and Purito retired in the last few years, or else they would up there too). They are teammates now, we shall see how this works out.

Italy, we have Aru and Nibali.

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Mayomaniac said:
The Colombian and the French team could be a mess.
A lot will depend on the form during next year, though.

Barguil had little to gain being in Bergen but he was here with future leadership in mind. Him and Alaphilippe seem more installed in the national group than Pinot and Bardet.

I can't see Guimard not taking Bardet and Pinot. They are both also motivated for the race. And unlike Barguil, they already had good result in Lombardia, the race which has a lot of similarities with the Worlds.

Chrispol said:
Alexandre B. said:
Mayomaniac said:
The Colombian and the French team could be a mess.
A lot will depend on the form during next year, though.

Barguil had little to gain being in Bergen but he was here with future leadership in mind. Him and Alaphilippe seem more installed in the national group than Pinot and Bardet.

I can't see Guimard not taking Bardet and Pinot. They are both also motivated for the race. And unlike Barguil, they already had good result in Lombardia, the race which has a lot of similarities with the Worlds.
I don't question Bardet and Pinot being in the team, but the struggle for leadership.

'94, Leblanc 1st, Virenque 3rd. Sometimes, we predict chaos and things work out :) .

Pinot, Bardet, Alaphilippe should be a no-brainer for Guimard. After that, Have another AG@R (Cherel?) with RB, Gaudu with Pinot, select two favorites that they will both race against, see how things shake up in the final, adjust tactics if necessary. I believe there's a 6th spot...between Latour, Gougeard, Calmejane, maybe give Cosnefroy a shot if he does well in the spring...yes, Barguil is an option.

Good problem to have for Guimard...

Spain will send send a team built around Valverde (as long as he's recovered from his injury like he's claiming he has) as they always do. Most likely Landa will be sent as option B like they did many times with Valverde as leader and Purito as option B. The thing Spain has that some of the other countries don't have are a lot of domestiques from their country who are more than willing to go to work for Valverde. Typically the team is made up of about half of his teammates which I'm sure helps as well. A Spanish team could be: Valverde, Landa, Soler, Fernandez, Rosen, the Herrada brothers, and then 2 of these three Nieve, LL Sanchez, and Everiti.

I have a feeling Colombia's team will be a mess.
France has a bunch of options as well.
Italy could be a mess just because Nibali and Aru aren't fond of each other.
I'm guessing Gilbert and Van Avermaet will be the team leaders for Belgium.
I'm guessing Porte will be Austrailia's leader.
The US doesn't really have any good options.

Re:

Koronin said:
Spain will send send a team built around Valverde (as long as he's recovered from his injury like he's claiming he has) as they always do. Most likely Landa will be sent as option B like they did many times with Valverde as leader and Purito as option B. The thing Spain has that some of the other countries don't have are a lot of domestiques from their country who are more than willing to go to work for Valverde. Typically the team is made up of about half of his teammates which I'm sure helps as well. A Spanish team could be: Valverde, Landa, Soler, Fernandez, Rosen, the Herrada brothers, and then 2 of these three Nieve, LL Sanchez, and Everiti.

Wellens will probably be a protected rider for Belgium. I doubt Van Avermaet will start.

France and Colombia have too many options, they both risk a hot mess on the day.

Italy will be interesting, I don’t see them sending both Aru and Nibali.

Australia has riders who can survive the race with Porte, Haig, Howson, maybe even Clarke or Morton but no real candidates for the win. They have a number of puncheurs but they will never survive.

USA are in the same boat, Dombrowski will probably lead.

Netherlands have a potentially dangerous squad with Dumoulin, Keldermerckx, TGBM and others.

GB has Froome, 2 x Yates and Thomas, but apart from Cav they always seem to underperform at Worlds.

I actually think another wild card could win this like Majka or Kwiatkowski.

Re:

Koronin said:

What about Ion Izaguirre?

Breh said:
Koronin said:

He'll be useful domestique de luxe and interesting option for long range attack. Bala will be undisputed leader, like he always was.

42x16ss said:
Koronin said:

Wellens will probably be a protected rider for Belgium. I doubt Van Avermaet will start.

France and Colombia have too many options, they both risk a hot mess on the day.

Italy will be interesting, I don’t see them sending both Aru and Nibali.

Australia has riders who can survive the race with Porte, Haig, Howson, maybe even Clarke or Morton but no real candidates for the win. They have a number of puncheurs but they will never survive.

USA are in the same boat, Dombrowski will probably lead.

Netherlands have a potentially dangerous squad with Dumoulin, Keldermerckx, TGBM and others.

GB has Froome, 2 x Yates and Thomas, but apart from Cav they always seem to underperform at Worlds.

I actually think another wild card could win this like Majka or Kwiatkowski.

Only if they are total lunatics! Aru is perfect as an option B, while Nibali should be undisputed leader, considering his one-day results and pedigree.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Yeah Nibali and Aru not fond of each other. That's why they train together so often.
Unless there's a big drop in performance from Nibbles, no question who the captain will be (see Rio for further reference).
Ok, I heard a few reports of them not getting along at Astana. Maybe they have put it all behind them after moving teams?

Blanco said:
Breh said:
Koronin said:

He'll be useful domestique de luxe and interesting option for long range attack. Bala will be undisputed leader, like he always was.

He could be an interesting option C. You're right probably send Ion Izagirre instead of one of the Herrada brothers. Yes Bala will be the undisputed leader of this team. The Spanish coach won't take anyone who doesn't agree to that.

42x16ss
For some reason I didn't realize Wellins is Belgium. Yes he could be an option for them as well.
As for GB their best option is one of the two Yates twins being the leader as they have done well in one day races. Froome has never done well in a one day race and Thomas will be working.

42x16ss said:
Ok, I heard a few reports of them not getting along at Astana. Maybe they have put it all behind them after moving teams?
I don't know if there ever was any friction between the two, but Aru is very fond of Nibali nowadays. Even during their last year together in Astana, Aru was very happy with how Nibali supported him during TdF 2016 and payed him back working as hard as anybody in Rio.

Cassani has stated multiple times their relationship is strong. I'm 100% sure they're both riding the WC unless they're injured or completely out of shape. And Nibali will be the captain.

As for France, don't see how Alaphilippe is not the captain. Colombia? Probably Henao but it will also depend on form. Spain? Bala.

SafeBet said:
42x16ss said:
I don't know if there ever was any friction between the two, but Aru is very fond of Nibali nowadays. Even during their last year together in Astana, Aru was very happy with how Nibali supported him during TdF 2016 and payed him back working as hard as anybody in Rio.

Cassani has stated multiple times their relationship is strong. I'm 100% sure they're both riding the WC unless they're injured or completely out of shape. And Nibali will be the captain.

As for France, don't see how Alaphilippe is not the captain. Colombia? Probably Henao but it will also depend on form. Spain? Bala.

Honestly has any colombian proven more than Uran during 1-day races?

Koronin said:
Blanco said:
Breh said:
Koronin said:

He could be an interesting option C. You're right probably send Ion Izagirre instead of one of the Herrada brothers. Yes Bala will be the undisputed leader of this team. The Spanish coach won't take anyone who doesn't agree to that.
No de la Cruz? I think he'd be a great utility rider for Spain on this course, I'd probably take him in place of one of the less established escaladores or put some pressure on Fernández to start delivering like he showed he could a couple of years ago. Soler is probably fairly well set at this point but some of the others may have an eye over their shoulder for somebody like Enric Mas as well. Omar Fraile makes another option for the same role that you've earmarked for the guys like Luísle.

Aware there won't be room for all, and Movistar will likely provide the lion's share. Also of course a whole season's racing is to come, but what would be wrong with a 9 of Valverde, Landa, de la Cruz, Izagirre, Soler, Fraile, Erviti, Nieve, and then one of Fernández/Rosón/Mas? Maybe if they feel they need another stronger engine they could go with Jesús Herrada or Gorka Izagirre.

Libertine Seguros said:
Koronin said:
Blanco said:
Breh said:
Koronin said:

No de la Cruz? I think he'd be a great utility rider for Spain on this course, I'd probably take him in place of one of the less established escaladores or put some pressure on Fernández to start delivering like he showed he could a couple of years ago. Soler is probably fairly well set at this point but some of the others may have an eye over their shoulder for somebody like Enric Mas as well. Omar Fraile makes another option for the same role that you've earmarked for the guys like Luísle.

Aware there won't be room for all, and Movistar will likely provide the lion's share. Also of course a whole season's racing is to come, but what would be wrong with a 9 of Valverde, Landa, de la Cruz, Izagirre, Soler, Fraile, Erviti, Nieve, and then one of Fernández/Rosón/Mas? Maybe if they feel they need another stronger engine they could go with Jesús Herrada or Gorka Izagirre.

I picked the team based on the fact the Spanish coach likes to pack the team with Movistar domestiques whom he knows will work for Valverde without question. Although, truthfully, I don't think it would matter where he pulls riders from that they would work for Valverde.

GenericBoonenFan said:
SafeBet said:
42x16ss said:

Chaves, Henao, Betancur.

Escarabajo said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
SafeBet said:
42x16ss said:

Chaves, Henao, Betancur.

They haven't proven anything more and that's what I asked.
Uran finished on the podium of a monument 3 times, coloured the final of multiple WC's and finished on the podium during the Olympics, he also won the GP Quebec, which is far from his favoured terrain.

GenericBoonenFan said:
Escarabajo said:
GenericBoonenFan said:
SafeBet said:
42x16ss said:

Chaves, Henao, Betancur.

They haven't proven anything more and that's what I asked.
Uran finished on the podium of a monument 3 times, coloured the final of multiple WC's and finished on the podium during the Olympics, he also won the GP Quebec, which is far from his favoured terrain.

Chaves won IL Lombardia.

TRENDING THREADS