• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Binck Bank Tour, 12-18 August (2.WT)

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Philipsen is riding smarter than Halvorsen and Hodeg. Both sprints so far, Bennett has fought for Groenewegen’s wheel and Hodeg and Halvorsen have fought for Bennett’s wheel. The problem being that they have no chance of coming around Bennett (or Groenewegen if he holds Bennett off). Bennett has to go too early for that to work and he’s not going to do that when he’s on the back of the Jumbo train. Philipsen gave himself the chance to win today by getting the jump on the favourites.

Philipsen is riding smarter than Halvorsen and Hodeg. Both sprints so far, Bennett has fought for Groenewegen’s wheel and Hodeg and Halvorsen have fought for Bennett’s wheel. The problem being that they have no chance of coming around Bennett (or Groenewegen if he holds Bennett off). Bennett has to go too early for that to work and he’s not going to do that when he’s on the back of the Jumbo train. Philipsen gave himself the chance to win today by getting the jump on the favourites.
I've been saying that for months. Philipsen is very good at positioning and getting into the right spots at the right time. But he's still lacking in pure speed. Look at his year so far. He won a stage in TDU, because Ewan got relegated. Otherwise, he would probably be leading the competition of most top 10 finishes without a win. He's had dozens of top 10 finishes, but he's never able to finish it off. In Calicornia, he had 4 top 10 finishes i believe. Once he lost to Jakobsen by a noselength. While Jakobsen didn't manage to get into another top 10 all week.

EDIT: by my counting, he had 22 top 10 finishes (GC's not included) of which he won 1, but only due to Ewan DQF. If he can work on his speed, he'll win bucketloads. But i'm still not sure this is what he's evolving into.

Last edited:
-10km Gap 20s to break
Clipboard.jpg

There’s no way DQS would let the main opposition sprinter take their guy’s wheel three stages in a row without trying to outsmart him. When up against Bennett or a similar solo wheelsurfer, if they aren’t winning with a straight train tactic they mix things up. They pull tricks like putting Stybar on their sprinter’s wheel or having their sprinter sit up and the lead out sprint etc.

What's up with EF's sprinters. They took their 3 fastest men and not even a top10 in any of the stages.

EDIT: Just two of them, didn't realise McLay is not there, I think he was on provisional startlist.
Regarding Modolo during Adriatica Ionica or Tour de Pologne I've heard from the commentators that he was hampered in the last two seasons by some "infective mushrooms" (I don't have any idea about what could be but it's what they said) in the stomach and the team doctors weren't able to detect what was the problem until after the Giro this year so probably he isn't in good shape yet. Anyway he has lost some speed when he started to focus more on durability for the classics in 2016-2017 and I think he's supposed to lead out Hofland.

Reactions: Anderis

TRENDING THREADS