• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 C du Dauphiné stage 7 St. Genix - Les Sept 133.5 km

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The stage had potential, but my uneducated guess is, that the weather made the riders feel less confident in themselves and felt they had more bad legs than they actually had. The time gaps weren't that big, and only Kruijswijk and Quintana (his attack was clearly a feint) were one level below the Fuglsang, Buchmann and the leader's group, who were close to each other. I don't have too high hopes on the stage tomorrow, unless Poels doesn't have his usual off-day.

Quintana, Porte and Kruijswik really need to put some magic into the training to be ready for the Tour, they seemed to have lost more than expected today. Especially Quintana with his big attack I actually saw him maybe winning the stage and overall at first.

Very nice surprise by Teejay to be up there, he was showing some form already at Tour of California. Also Sepp Kuss seemed to have found his legs again, 1 month too late unfortunately, and he's not doing the Tour as well which is a shame.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Looking how this field looks like, Thomas should win the Tour fingers in the nose. Very disappointing climbing level compared to fourth Skineos man. Even Teejay could take a top 5 like in the good old days.
If Uran hits 2017 shape he actually has a chance, his team is looking pretty strong on all kinds of terrain.

Well, just because I'm silly, here's the race report from Cofidis, with a little help from FB auto-translate:

it was the apocalypse on the road to the Critérium du Dauphiné. Under the storm it is wout poels who triumphs at the top of a stage marked by the breakaway in the long course of Jesper Hansen. Our Danish climber resisted the race, ONLY 8 km away from the line. Stéphane was also on the attack today! Nico Edet gave it all but couldn't follow the rhythm of the favorites in the final. Hat Gentlemen the runners for braving with courage these conditions conditions!

Love the last bit... :cool:

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Looking how this field looks like, Thomas should win the Tour fingers in the nose. Very disappointing climbing level compared to fourth Skineos man. Even Teejay could take a top 5 like in the good old days.
Maybe Nibali can jsut think of the Tour as the 9th week of the Giro

Unless Quintana and Porte are preparing with Slongo, I really don't see them anywhere near the podium in Le Tour.

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Maybe Nibali can jsut think of the Tour as the 9th week of the Giro

Unless Quintana and Porte are preparing with Slongo, I really don't see them anywhere near the podium in Le Tour.

At least Porte has some excuses with illness and missed racing. Quintana is an enigma these days performance wise although it all seems to be heading in one direction........

Re:

Rollthedice said:

I don't think you can use a stage like today, with the weather being what it was, to make that conclusion.

Cold/wet vs warm/dry is very different indeed.

Re:

Lequack said:
Quintana, Porte and Kruijswik really need to put some magic into the training to be ready for the Tour, they seemed to have lost more than expected today. Especially Quintana with his big attack I actually saw him maybe winning the stage and overall at first.

Very nice surprise by Teejay to be up there, he was showing some form already at Tour of California. Also Sepp Kuss seemed to have found his legs again, 1 month too late unfortunately, and he's not doing the Tour as well which is a shame.
I don't know what is wrong with Quintana these days either. At some point he was just more focused on the computer than riding hard like if it was a training. Either that or they need to get him out of his home country for training.

Porte has an excuse. Kruijswik is a diesel engine. He needs more days to warm up. :D