• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Critérium du Dauphiné stage 5 Boën - Voiron 201 km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

memyselfandI said:
For sure he's serious contender for a green jersey, but what is main goal for Jumbo team?

Sprint stages with Groenewegen I suppose, then GC for Kruijswijk? Difficult to fit a green jersey challenge in there.

If I was DS I suppose I would tell Van Aert to do whatever the *** he wants and see what happens.

Re: Re:

spalco said:
memyselfandI said:
For sure he's serious contender for a green jersey, but what is main goal for Jumbo team?

Sprint stages with Groenewegen I suppose, then GC for Kruijswijk? Difficult to fit a green jersey challenge in there.

If I was DS I suppose I would tell Van Aert to do whatever the **** he wants and see what happens.
Flat finishes 100% work for Groenewegen come on.

shalgo said:
Keram said:
I am seriously started to think he could be contender for green this TDF. Especially with less pan flat stages than usual. Could be good duel with Sagan if he will be in proper shape.
Won't Groenewegen be Jumbo's man for the mass sprints?

Just because he leads Groenewegen out, doesn't mean he has to stop pedalling.

happytramp said:
[quote="JosephK":b1n99s1x]What the Wout?!!!! Is WVA the new Sagan? Wondering what he can do in the TDF, now. :D

I suggested yesterday he might be the new Seán Kelly... TT and bunch sprint winner... I was not believed. :D[/quote]

Let's see how he does in the mountains the next 3 days. Has he raced in the high mountains at all yet?

If he wins at Pipay, the betting for him in the Tour will be closed.

Sagan watching today's sprint; "***. He's going to be at the Tour."
MvdP watching today's sprint; "***. He's going to be at the Tour."

Thomas De Gendt said:
@DeGendtThomas
Can all cyclists sign this petition to deny @mathieuvdpoel @WoutvanAert and @EvenepoelRemco access to the roadraces for the following 4 years. Thank you
4:50 PM - 13 Jun 2019
https://twitter.com/DeGendtThomas/status/1139183303221817345

Screecher said:
A green jersey challenge is not realistic at all for Van Aert. It's going to be his first ever grand tour, we don't know how he'll do in the high mountains and he's not going to be their team leader.
Mountains won't be the problem for him. But while he is faster than 85% of the peloton, he is also slower than basically all of the "true" sprinters, including Sagan, Kristoff, Degenkolb, MvdP, Trentin etc. The sprinting line up in the Dauphiné is just weak (just like the ITT field), and the only reason he won today was that Bora's train got derailed by Boason Hagen. So, if he wanted to go for green, he would probably need to gather the points with 6th-10th places. It's basically the same as saying Naesen going for green.

memyselfandI said:
Logic-is-your-friend said:
memyselfandI said:
Then again VdP..
What about van der Poel?

MvdP is two-three cliks faster sprinter than WvA.. :cool:
Sure. And Wout will find himself with many 2nd and 3rd places because of that. But he will also win plenty of races, regardless of Mathieu being faster. Sagan didn't win every classic, as people predicted 8 years ago. Neither will Mathieu. Or Wout. Or Bettiol...

Seven years ago, people predicted Mathieu would make a clean sweep in CX. Yet of the last 6 world championships they raced, Wout won 4. Mathieu winning Amstel was great, it doesn't mean he'll win every classic or that Wout has no chance in winning.

TRENDING THREADS