• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 11: Carpi - Novi Ligure 206 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win stage 11?

• Pascal Ackermann

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Elia Viviani

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Caleb Ewan

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Arnaud Demare

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Matteo Moschetti

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SELIG Rüdiger

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Giacomo Nizzolo

• CIMOLAI Davide

• Other (Vino/Remco)

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
Clipboard.jpg

Ackermann going 250m into a headwind. Just like stage 3...

Viviani just isn't good against top tier competition, I think.
Last year he was againt Bennett and then the best sprinters were Modolo, Mareczko, Van Poppel, Belletti.
Ewan, Demare, Ackermann and Gaviria when he was here is a world above in terms of quality competition.

Re: Re:

More Strides than Rides said:
Anderis said:
Nice to see Sean Bennett in the top10. As someone above said, he is not a typical sprinter so to see him involved in the sprints in his first ever GT means he seems to cope well with GT levels of fatigue, which bodes well for his future development.

I would wager that the Giro thus far does not reflect normal GT levels of fatigue...
search said:
yeah, and 10th in GT sprint is always a good result of course, but it's not like he had to beat many sprinters (that didn't crash yesterday) to achieve that, to be honest.
Calm down, we're talking about a neo-pro who hasn't been expected to show anything special this year. It's not that easy to hold wheels and finish top10 in a sprint stage in a middle of a GT if you're a neo-pro and not a pure sprinter or one-in-generation talent.

This result doesn't necessarily forecast big things for him in the future but at least is an indication he has the potential to be a competent pro which is positive enough for a guy who wasn't regularly fighting for wins at u-23 level. I've seen more experienced guys with more sprint-oriented skillset failing to finish inside top10 in stages/races they were supposed to perform. The recent form of his team-mate Sacha Modolo is a good example.

search said:
tobydawq said:
del1962 said:
How many DNS tomorrow?

Probably 2.
de Buyst was confirmed to abandon the race as well, but maybe he'll stay around until the rest day. What about Mareczko?

Oh, I didn't know about De Buyst.

Mareczko is not really a big enough name to just leave the race because he doesn't want to ride in the mountains, I would say.

I think he will abandon on Friday but I guess he at least is going to try to ride. I may be wrong, though.

Anderis said:
More Strides than Rides said:
Anderis said:
Nice to see Sean Bennett in the top10. As someone above said, he is not a typical sprinter so to see him involved in the sprints in his first ever GT means he seems to cope well with GT levels of fatigue, which bodes well for his future development.

I would wager that the Giro thus far does not reflect normal GT levels of fatigue...
search said:
yeah, and 10th in GT sprint is always a good result of course, but it's not like he had to beat many sprinters (that didn't crash yesterday) to achieve that, to be honest.
Calm down, we're talking about a neo-pro who hasn't been expected to show anything special this year. It's not that easy to hold wheels and finish top10 in a sprint stage in a middle of a GT if you're a neo-pro and not a pure sprinter or one-in-generation talent.

This result doesn't necessarily forecast big things for him in the future but at least is an indication he has the potential to be a competent pro which is positive enough for a guy who wasn't regularly fighting for wins at u-23 level. I've seen more experienced guys with more sprint-oriented skillset failing to finish inside top10 in stages/races they were supposed to perform. The recent form of his team-mate Sacha Modolo is a good example.

Fair enough. I know that the bike race is made up of more than the all-stars. As your working your way up the ladder, your victories are the top-10 and top-5 results. I hope he is proud of his performance, and he should be.

TRENDING THREADS