• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 13: Pinerolo - Lago Serrù 196 km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 13: Pinerolo - Lago Serrù 196 k

Lequack said:
HelloDolly said:
Gigs_98 said:
Kind of a big question is now whether Nibali wants a chaotic race or lets his team chase. The scenario right now looks great for beating Roglic but he'd look pretty stupid if he let's everyone else back into contention and it then turns out he would have beaten Roglic anyway. Bit of a gamble right now.

His only threats are Roglic , Yates ,MAL

If he keeps an eye on them and stay cool he is sorted ...Not up to him to chase

Well if noone chases it's Mollema's to lose. Nibali already knows how weak the Jumbo team is, so if he's relying on them to catch the break he might be in for disappointment.

Others will chase....
TGBM usually has a terrible 3rd week ...Nibali can take care of him later
Its one day ...the most dangerous man as said so many times is Roglic ...if Niabli chases fro Roglic then he is handing him the Giro...he is the man to beat and to do so requires a risky strategy

Roglic' main rivals all have helpers sent up the road: Nibali, Lopez, Landa and Yates all have two of their strongest domestiques in the breakaway. This is getting seriously dangerous for the Slovenian. If he feels strong he should let his team chase hard on the flat. Giving freedom to a break like this is playing with fire.

Re:

Pantani_lives said:
Roglic' main rivals all have helpers sent up the road: Nibali, Lopez, Landa and Yates all have two of their strongest domestiques in the breakaway. This is getting seriously dangerous for the Slovenian. If he feels strong he should let his team chase hard on the flat. Giving freedom to a break like this is playing with fire.

I think this is the test if he and Jumbo want to show that they really have what it takes to win a Grand Tour.

Re: Re:

fuiers said:
Pantani_lives said:

I think this is the test if he and Jumbo want to show that they really have what it takes to win a Grand Tour.
Well, then theres also tomorrow... and stage 16.. and 20.. this will be tough for Jumbo.

Hirt to launch Lopez at the base of the Lupo. Later he will join Zeits and Cataldo one by one on the main part of the climb and Izagirre will wait for him to assist him on the descend and in the first 10 kms of the Nivolet. Just hope Yates will be with him but I don't think so :)

Now watch Jumbo pulling back the break before Lupo.

fuiers said:
Pantani_lives said:

Of course they have... they were the strongest team (other than Team Sky) in last years TdF and would've started with Gesink and De Plus in this Giro. It's like Nibali without Caruso and Pozzo.. Tolhoek, Kuss and Bouwman are very talented climbers, but you can't judge them for yesterdays stage. They'll be a lot stronger in the 3th week.

Cinemaniak said:
fuiers said:
Pantani_lives said:

Of course they have... they were the strongest team (other than Team Sky) in last years TdF and would've started with Gesink and De Plus in this Giro. It's like Nibali without Caruso and Pozzo.. Tolhoek, Kuss and Bouwman are very talented climbers, but you can't judge them for yesterdays stage. They'll be a lot stronger in the 3th week.

Those 3 are young riders. I would say it is more likely that they will fade in the 3rd week, than being really good.

Re:

sir fly said:
Mollema and Zakarin will have to dig in at one point.
The question is how far will the breakaway get with minutes in hand.
Looking at the gap, not far enough for a tandem ride.

I would say the break will have closer to 1 minute than 2 advantage by the time Lupo starts. Bold move from Mollema but I think he will pay dearly in the end

Salvarani said:
Cinemaniak said:
fuiers said:
Pantani_lives said:

Those 3 are young riders. I would say it is more likely that they will fade in the 3rd week, than being really good.

I was listening to Gesink on this podcast when he talked about his accident and also about the Giro. And he also said the guys riding with Primoz are young and he is afraid they'll fade, whereas he's sad that he can't help Primoz himself.
https://lifeinthepeloton.com/2019/05/22/robert-gesink-the-comeback-king-a-mid-giro-review/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Re:

Lequack said:
How come they let a break with Mollema and Zakarin go away? Sprint teams always close dangerous riders down the second they go away, but the GC teams just let it go?
I don't even think Mollema and Zakarin are the biggest threat. All those guys from Astana, Movistar, Bahrein and Mitchelton are there. If Roglic gets dropped he's in huge danger. He'll need to be really strong individually.

del1962 said:
Salvarani said:
Climbing said:
Hart out, retired after the crash.

Must have hurt himself pretty bad

He is with Doctor - hope not to serious

D7VNHZkXsAE_63D.jpg