• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 14: Saint Vincent-Courmayeur 131 km

Eshnar said:
Stage 14: Saint Vincent - Courmayeur 131 km

Saturday, May 25th

START TIME: 13.10 CEST

FINISH TIME: ~17.15 CEST

G19_T14_Courmayeur_alt_jpeg.jpg

G19_T14_Courmayeur_plan_jpeg.jpg

Technical Overview:
The penultimate weekend opens with a short but very hard stage in the Aosta valley, straight after an already very demanding stage. Starting from the town of Saint Vincent, the first climb of the day comes soon, in just 7 km. Verrayes (GPM2, 6.7 km at 8%) is just the first section of the well known Col de Saint Panthaleon, ridden in the last year's Giro. This year they climb it only up to the town of Verrayes, and then get back down to the main valley where they have just come from. After a rather technical descent of 9 km, the peloton hits the easiest part of the stage, a 14 km long stroll on the flat at the bottom of the valley, passing through the town of Aosta itself, after which the road will go up again for the second GPM of the day, Verrogne (GPM1, 13.8 km at 7.1%). Featuring in the Giro for the first time, this climb is quite demanding and irregular, with many steep ramps and easier sections. The descent is 15 km long, very technical and full of hairpins, especially at the bottom, and connects directly with the third climb of the stage, Truc d'Arbe (GPM2, 8.2 km at 7%). Also known as Combes, this climb is like a smaller version of Verrogne, having similar characteristics but being significantly shorter. Another technical descent leads again to the valley, where the riders will keep heading west for 7 km, after which they will take a small detour to the right to climb towards the village of La Salle, 2 km at 8%, just before getting back to the main road and turn left to enter the highlight climb of the day, which will likely decide the outcome. Colle San Carlo (GPM1, 10.5 km at 9.8%) is the second hardest climb of this edition. It is an extremely regular climb, with a gradient always between 9% and 11%, very rarely used in the Giro. The last time they raced here, it was 2006, and before that it was missing since 1973. This year, it tops at 26 km to go. The descent in on wide roads but has a very tricky first section (for reference, you can watch Basso's descent on the wet in 2006, probably the slowest descent of all time), a blistering fast second section and finally a slow final section with lots of hairpins. From the bottom of the descent there are only 8.3 km to go to reach Courmayeur (GPM3, 8 km at 3.2%), but they are quite complicated. After 1 km of false flat, the riders will hit a ramp of 3 km at 6% up to the town of Verrand, and then a 2 km flattish section to Courmayeur. The finish however is not in the middle of the town, but at the Skyway Monte Bianco station, which adds a 3 km of false flat hiding a 1 km ramp at 5% near the end.

G19_T14_Courmayeur_ukm_jpeg.jpg

The Climbs:
Verrayes, GPM2, 6.7 km at 8%
Less than half of the road to Saint-Panthaleon. Short but quite demanding.

G19_T14_S01_Verrayes_SAL_jpeg.jpg

Verrogne, GPM1, 13.8 km at 7.1%
Solid climb, long and with some really tough ramps.

G19_T14_S02_Verrogne_SAL_jpeg.jpg

Truc d'Arbe, GPM2, 8.2 km at 7%
Tough climb, with a km of false flat in the middle that lowers its average gradient.
G19_T14_S03_TrucArbe_SAL_jpeg.jpg

Colle San Carlo, GPM1, 10.5 km at 9.8%
A really steep and regular climb. The last time they raced it, in 2006, we had no live pictures due to horrible weather. Let's hope for something better this year.

G19_T14_S04_Sancarlo_SAL_jpeg.jpg

Courmayeur, GPM3, 8 km at 3.2%
See the final km profile.

What to expect:
Full-blown carnage on San Carlo and then everyone by himself on the way to Courmayeur. I expect only pace on the previous climbs, as a climb as big as San Carlo will probably prevent the GC contenders to attack anywhere earlier.

YfgScmm.jpg

Monte Bianco/Mont Blanc, the highest mountain in the Alps. Courmayeur is at its foot.

Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 14: Saint Vincent-Courmayeur 13

If another gc contender tries to sneak into the break (looking at you Yates and Lopez) this could be absolute carnage from the first kilometer onwards. Everyone will be dead after today so don't expect very organized chases. A big ambush could happen here.
Still even if that danger doesn't materialize, at least from San Carlo onwards we can expect one hell of a stage and that would still mean 35 kilometers of racing. Can't wait.

Who does still remember this iconic stage? Last time San Carlo was climbed in the Giro.

giro06st13-duo450.jpg

That day Ivan climbed like an angel (6.27 w/kg), but descended like a brick to avoid crashing in the rain. That day San Carlo was the only climb of a long flat stage and caused carnage.

Max Rockatansky said:
Who does still remember this iconic stage? Last time San Carlo was climbed in the Giro.

giro06st13-duo450.jpg

That day Ivan climbed like an angel (6.27 w/kg), but descended like a brick to avoid crashing in the rain. That day San Carlo was the only climb of a long flat stage and caused carnage.
Along with the epic Mortirolo stage and the shortened Kronplatz finish, it is just one of those stages that stuck with me. It was also the day that I first noticed John Gadret's potential.

Cance > TheRest said:
Max Rockatansky said:

giro06st13-duo450.jpg

Along with the epic Mortirolo stage and the shortened Kronplatz finish, it is just one of those stages that stuck with me. It was also the day that I first noticed John Gadret's potential.
Rujano also quit the Giroon that day.

May 11, 2019
Visit site
Re:

Koronin said:
I would expect Movistar to do the same thing today they've done the last two days by putting at least 2-3 riders into the break.

I agree, tomorrow the peloton could easily be shredded to pieces for the GC battle.
Probably they'll try, but i expect this action more from Astana than Movistar. :geek:

Some of the guys who attacked today will be tired. Would be a waste for Nibali or Roglic to not try anything on San Carlo, especially with the descent and 50% chance of rain in the afternoon.

Re: Re:

Moviefan1203 said:
Singer01 said:
Moviefan1203 said:
My guess is Roglic will follow wheels again, and Nibali will need a box of tissues after crying to the Italian media.
He really is coming across as whiny isnt he.

I suppose his quotes could be getting a little misconstrued in translation.
He more or less said it, it wasn’t whiny but more very angry, he went really Sicilian in a way in which I hadn’t really heard him go (accent wise)

TRENDING THREADS