• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia Stage 15: Ivrea - Como 232 km

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Escarabajo said:
Carapaz reminds me how Yates was dominating last year. Anything can happen, but I don't think Carapaz will crack. He looks more confident than Yates was at this point. It was probably that TT. The one for this year is too short and Carapaz looks to be on supreme form so I doubt that he will lose too much time on the TT.
Then again carapaz doesn't look nearly as strong as Yates last year. Nibali didn't even try to follow his attacks on stage 13 and 14 and I doubt carapaz could have dropped Nibali today. In fact I think Nibali looked a bit stronger than him. Still fun times ahead. There are more comfy places to be than 1:40 in front of Nibali who is looking to get better and better.
Carapaz bridged the gap on the flat after the Civiglio today, dunno how much you want to attribute that to him sitting in the wheels on the descent and the boys taking schrödinger's turns off screen.

Pirazziattacks said:
HelloDolly said:
BTW Landa didnt look so hot today on the climb
Didn't work for Carapaz, got dropped, and then gave Roglic something to bridge over to on the climb. 10/10 :lol:
Didn't need to work for Carapaz. No need to use him at all, Héctor and Pedrero both did their bit, and Pedrero could carry Carapaz far enough that Richi could handle himself following Nibali and it didn't matter that Landa couldn't follow. Now, countering was pretty dumb, yes, but had he got across there, it would have been a positive move because there'd then be the 1-2 and still both cards to play. He should, however, have known that he wasn't strong enough to drop the others, considering he'd been burnt by Pedrero when the others hadn't, so getting across that gap without towing others with him was incredibly unlikely.

Gigs_98 said:
Escarabajo said:
Carapaz reminds me how Yates was dominating last year. Anything can happen, but I don't think Carapaz will crack. He looks more confident than Yates was at this point. It was probably that TT. The one for this year is too short and Carapaz looks to be on supreme form so I doubt that he will lose too much time on the TT.
Then again carapaz doesn't look nearly as strong as Yates last year. Nibali didn't even try to follow his attacks on stage 13 and 14 and I doubt carapaz could have dropped Nibali today. In fact I think Nibali looked a bit stronger than him. Still fun times ahead. There are more comfy places to be than 1:40 in front of Nibali who is looking to get better and better.

Who cares now, Nibali is in a never before seen happy and talkative form in RAI studios after the race.

AQETUYIOI said:
Red Rick said:
Carapaz bridged the gap on the flat after the Civiglio today, dunno how much you want to attribute that to him sitting in the wheels on the descent and the boys taking schrödinger's turns off screen.
There is some benefit having someone one ones wheel?
Actually there is. I believe it's like 3%?

Similarly, having the camera moto next to you is really bad.

Gigs_98 said:
Escarabajo said:
Simultaneously, Richi had 30km riding solo into the maglia rosa yesterday, while Nibali was part of the phony war on Courmayeur so by rights should be fresher. Looked to me like Movistar were happy to take the lead into the rest day, marking Rogla and Nibali, not worrying about attacks they didn't have to worry about, and using their rouleur and lower slope domestiques as much as possible so that their climbing helpers could be fresher, in case Richi paid for yesterday's efforts. Which obviously in the end he didn't, as he could mark Nibbles, and the group behind had their problems too.

How the hell Majka is still in 4th place.

TourOfSardinia said:
Ciddaman said:
Roglic 6 seconda sticky bottle deserve a penalty for sure. I can't understand why Roglic choose to go on with Tolhoek's bike instead to change with his second one. He lose 40" to avoid a 10" loss...
inexperience.
Or incompetence from the team car.

Stefano Garzelli was praising Roglič all the time on Civiglio. Garzelli said it's incredible what Rogla was doing with a bike of his teammate and that if he had his bike he'd almost 100% be with Nibali and Carapaz at the top. The gap at the top o Civiglio was 12-13seconds.

In hindsight the decision to not change the bike was the wrong one. It was probably the main reason that caused the crash. Too bad but everybody usually has misfortunes during the 3 weeks of a GT. I just hope he is not injured, the crash looked nasty.

I always find it curious how well Nibali always does on Civiglio. On paper the climb doesn't exactly suit to his characteristics or am I mistaken. Another great attack and display of brilliance on the descent. But Carapaz is a tough costumer it seems.

Great ride by the breakaway duo and congrats to Cataldo. I was afraid they'll call him back from the team car to help Lopez again :p

Libertine Seguros said:
Gigs_98 said:
Escarabajo said:
Simultaneously, Richi had 30km riding solo into the maglia rosa yesterday, while Nibali was part of the phony war on Courmayeur so by rights should be fresher. Looked to me like Movistar were happy to take the lead into the rest day, marking Rogla and Nibali, not worrying about attacks they didn't have to worry about, and using their rouleur and lower slope domestiques as much as possible so that their climbing helpers could be fresher, in case Richi paid for yesterday's efforts. Which obviously in the end he didn't, as he could mark Nibbles, and the group behind had their problems too.

How the hell Majka is still in 4th place.

Majka doing a GC Zubeldia, okay not that hidden but without doing anything outstanding he is riding consistently. Mollema also good, both trying hard. Zakarin just can't ride two stages the same and he obviously paid for his stage win. I think Movistar were prepared for a quiet day until Michelton got busy and Nibali saw possible bonus seconds up for grabs and a gap on the unfortunate Roglic.

Big fail by Mitchelton Scott and strange tactics by other teams - If MS want to win the stage then you control the peleton when the lead is ten minutes and then gradually use up your riders instead of waiting and then burning up your riders by halfway up the second last climb - Other teams had opportunities to put more pressure on Roglic.

BullsFan22 said:
Valv.Piti said:
BullsFan22 said:
What a shame for Roglič, a mechanical, Movistar pick up the pace, he gets back on, limits the damage to Nibali on the final meters of the climb, then he crashes and loses 40 seconds to the leaders. He didn't deserve that. Nibali again benefitting from someone else's misfortune.
You are bound to have some misfortune through 3 weeks, especially when you don't have a team. And not only Nibali, but also Carapaz cashed in. Also lets not forget he was dropped in the first place.

He had to chase back almost 30 seconds with a bike that wasn't really working for him. He looked ok physically but the way he was spinning the bike didn't look like his normal cadence and obviously the crash. Yes, I realize that pressure to chase on the final descent and get back to Carapaz and Nibali didn't help, but riding someone else's bike can cause problems.
And the fact that he was put under so much pressure is because he gifted Carapaz time the past days by riding stupidly. One and a half minute in the last 10 km yesterday, for instance, and then today having to take risks for 10 or so seconds. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

johnymax said:
TourOfSardinia said:
Ciddaman said:
Roglic 6 seconda sticky bottle deserve a penalty for sure. I can't understand why Roglic choose to go on with Tolhoek's bike instead to change with his second one. He lose 40" to avoid a 10" loss...
inexperience.
Or incompetence from the team car.

Stefano Garzelli was praising Roglič all the time on Civiglio. Garzelli said it's incredible what Rogla was doing with a bike of his teammate and that if he had his bike he'd almost 100% be with Nibali and Carapaz at the top. The gap at the top o Civiglio was 12-13seconds.

In hindsight the decision to not change the bike was the wrong one. It was probably the main reason that caused the crash. Too bad but everybody usually has misfortunes during the 3 weeks of a GT. I just hope he is not injured, the crash looked nasty.

I always find it curious how well Nibali always does on Civiglio. On paper the climb doesn't exactly suit to his characteristics or am I mistaken. Another great attack and display of brilliance on the descent. But Carapaz is a tough costumer it seems.

Great ride by the breakaway duo and congrats to Cataldo. I was afraid they'll call him back from the team car to help Lopez again :p

Hopefully it's just bruising which is bad enough when going fast. Probably has sore ribs but hopefully most of all it's his ego suffering. A stage he would want to forget.

Re:

yaco said:
Big fail by Mitchelton Scott and strange tactics by other teams - If MS want to win the stage then you control the peleton when the lead is ten minutes and then gradually use up your riders instead of waiting and then burning up your riders by halfway up the second last climb - Other teams had opportunities to put more pressure on Roglic.

i got the impression it was a change of mind and it did look like they had left it too late. I was surprised the chase group got so close at the end.

Lequack said:
Rollthedice said:
Twitter says Roglic bike car just stopped to take a piss when the puncture happened. Rabofail strikes again?

They never learn. It was the same with Kruijswik that Giro, no support whatsoever. They keep bringing these weak teams and expecting to do a Tom Dumoulin like miracle.

I feel like I need to repeat this every day. Gesink and De Plus were supposed to be in this team, if they didnt crash/get ill Jumbo wouldve had an excellent team the giro. Its just bad luck, Tolhoek almost got permanently blind this winter so he had a crap winter so its allready a miracle hes as decent as he is now. Kuss... well ... cant rely on him really, others are doing their job just fine.

Max Rockatansky said:
https://twitter.com/BaukeMollema/status/1132693331505496070

Hm? Does he has a point here?
He has a point about too many motobikes being in the race, but it's not just an italian problem.
Just look at the spring classics.
It is also harder to become the driver of a motobike in an rcs race, they have higher standarts than the uci, so Bauke complaining to the uci and making it an italian problem is actually a bit misguided.

TRENDING THREADS