• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia, stage 4: Orbetello - Frascati 235km

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

PeterB said:
Rollthedice said:
PeterB said:
So from the CN reporting I understand that Dumoulin was in fact a victim of the second Yates/Landa crash? That would be particularly bad luck...

No, it was Puccio's crash that took him out.
Is there a source for that? This is from CN piece on Yates:
Asked if his team leader had had a narrow escape, Mitchelton-Scott’s sports director Matt White said “Definitely. Simon got through the first crash, but then he went down on the roundabout, the same crash that Tom [Dumoulin-Sunweb] went down on, but in Simon’s case only losing 16 seconds to Roglič in the finish.”

Also from CN:

In a team press release, Dumoulin explained how the crash had happened, saying that "[Salvatore] Puccio crashed, I think he touched a wheel or something and he took me and [Ion] Izagirre (Astana Pro Team) down with him."

Hayabusa said:
Landa is probably just sad that his career has taken a nosedive over the last 2 years. No excuse for that sort of language, classless.

Anyone who has done sports on a amateur level or above know you use that language all the time in the heat of the moment. I dont get what the big deal about it is, when i was playing football people we would call and get called worse things during tackles, you think one goes "oh golly, i hope you apologize sir" when you tackle someone during a game?

markene2 said:
Hayabusa said:
Landa is probably just sad that his career has taken a nosedive over the last 2 years. No excuse for that sort of language, classless.

Anyone who has done sports on a amateur level or above know you use that language all the time in the heat of the moment. I dont get what the big deal about it is, when i was playing football people we would call and get called worse things during tackles, you think one goes "oh golly, i hope you apologize sir" when you tackle someone during a game?

If you think calling someone a r*tard is acceptable because "you played sports" then we will agree to disagree.

He's apologised on Twitter cause he knows it was wrong, we can move on.

Well, that stage really shook things up. Chapeau Carapaz - took his chance well (but how did he end up at the front with the sprinters?). It looked like Roglic was just glad to pick up some more seconds on his GC rivals without having to break a sweat.

Shame for Tommy D - he'll be off for treatment as his Giro is over. Yates is certainly having an interesting Giro! :) Hope someone from MS goes and talks with Movistar & sorts things out.

Yates certainly caused the second crash. If not, he would have said “so and so” touched wheels, skidded or collided or maybe even rode dangerously. Saying it was nobody’s fault is trying to defuse judgement on the occasion, something guilt people always do. He could have just said he was too eager to chase back on and fell or something similar.

Re:

Nirvana said:
On the italian forum i've read that Pozzovivo was taken to the hospital, anyone knows what happened to him?
I remember seeing him standing by the side of the road holding his bike, near a roundabout, during the chaotic final minutes of the stage. He was likely caught up in the Yates/Landa crash, but I don't know what kind of injury he has.

Re:

Anderis said:
I think UAE made a mistake setting pace for Ulissi instead of trying to use their numbers to attack. There were barely any domestiques left when they hit the front with 3 riders. There was a big chance for hesitation in the group and a successful attack at that point.

I think also Ulissi made a mistake for not following Carapaz

shalgo said:
Nirvana said:
On the italian forum i've read that Pozzovivo was taken to the hospital, anyone knows what happened to him?
I remember seeing him standing by the side of the road holding his bike, near a roundabout, during the chaotic final minutes of the stage. He was likely caught up in the Yates/Landa crash, but I don't know what kind of injury he has.
This year he was really unlucky so far, i hope he could be fit and lucky at least in the Vuelta where he's supposed to be the leader or at least so was said last winter.

shalgo said:
Nirvana said:

Honestly, I presumed he'd just had a mechanic.

Blanco said:
Anderis said:
I think UAE made a mistake setting pace for Ulissi instead of trying to use their numbers to attack. There were barely any domestiques left when they hit the front with 3 riders. There was a big chance for hesitation in the group and a successful attack at that point.

Ulissi waited because there still were Ewan and Ackermann around, if he would have been sure to be the fastest probably he would have started his sprint early to catch and pass Carapaz.

Nirvana said:
Blanco said:
Anderis said:

Ulissi waited because there still were Ewan and Ackermann around, if he would have been sure to be the fastest probably he would have started his sprint early to catch and pass Carapaz.

But it was an ideal chance to get rid of exactly those two, they can't follow such acceleration on a hill 500-600m from the line and then sprint after that, and Ulissi can. Watching the replay again I get the feeling he was afraid of Roglic, and wanted to force him to go after Carapaz.

shalgo said:
Nirvana said:
From TBH tweet: "pozzovivod was involved in a crash today, but he suffered just bruises, no fracture"

Landa apologises after calling Simon Yates 'mentally ***' following Giro d’Italia crash
Briton later accepts apology
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landa-apologises-after-calling-simon-yates-mentally-***-following-giro-ditalia-crash/

Stage 4 Analysis w/ R Moore, L Birnie, D Friebe (46:26 English) — cyclingpodcast
http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/audioboom/?title=Stage+4+Analysis+w/+R+Moore,+L+Birnie,+D+Friebe&dashboard=giro-d-italia&id=7260950&yr=2019

26 Big Photos from Stage 4 (descriptions to come) — rcs/corvos/bettini
http://www.steephill.tv/2019/giro-d-italia/photos/stage-04/

060-MAP_8560.jpg

322-_FF51448.jpg

Blanco said:
Nirvana said:
Blanco said:
Anderis said:

But it was an ideal chance to get rid of exactly those two, they can't follow such acceleration on a hill 500-600m from the line and then sprint after that, and Ulissi can. Watching the replay again I get the feeling he was afraid of Roglic, and wanted to force him to go after Carapaz.
In the post race interview reported on Tuttobiciweb he said that they tried to force the pace with Marcato and Conti and see if they could drop the sprinters but the finale was too easy for him and still were around when Carapaz went so he waited for someone else making a move first and when Ewan went was too fast.

markene2 said:
Hayabusa said:

Intrigued as to what you consider to be "worse". Something more crude?

This might not seem crude, but it is using a medical condition, causing enormous stress and difficulty in life for the sufferer and their family, as an insult and an accusation. Totally classless.

If you really think that calling somebody a bodypart or a bodily function is morally equivalent, or more offensive, than this, then I can only assume that you are remarkably lucky and sheltered to have never had such issues impinge on your life.

Nirvana said:
Blanco said:
Nirvana said:
Blanco said:
Anderis said:

In the post race interview reported on Tuttobiciweb he said that they tried to force the pace with Marcato and Conti and see if they could drop the sprinters but the finale was too easy for him and still were around when Carapaz went so he waited for someone else making a move first and when Ewan went was too fast.

I saw what they were trying to do, but that wasn't enough. The only way to do it yesterday was if Ulissi himself puts the pressure on sprinters, and Carapaz move would be ideal springboard for him, but he choose to wait. I think only him and Roglic could've followed that move.

TRENDING THREADS