• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Giro d'Italia, stage 6: Cassino - San Giovanni R. 238km

Eshnar said:
Stage 6: Cassino - San Giovanni Rotondo 238 km

Thursday, May 16th

START TIME: 11.20 CEST

FINISH TIME: ~17.15 CEST

G19_T06_SanGiovanniRotondo_alt_jpg-1.jpg

G19_T06_SanGiovanniRotondo_plan_jpg-2.jpg

Technical Overview:
Stage 6 is a very long (238 km!) and quite demanding stage, despite not having any particularly hard climb (in fact, it has only one categorized climb, even if it should have more...). From Cassino the riders will head all the way east, crossing the entire peninsula and reaching the other side. The first difficulty of the day arrives at km 11, and it's a small climb of roughly 4.5 km at 4.5%. From there, the road becomes a slightly ascending false flat until it transforms into a proper climb at km 42. This second climb of the day, passing near the town of Isernia, measures 13 km at 3%, and it is very irregular, hiding some proper ramps. After this comes an easy section of flat roads, leading to another climb just before the town of Campobasso, with around 9 km at 3%, again with some decent ramps, this time at the end. From here on, descent and another flat section towards another uncategorized climb, 3 km at 5.5%, before the road gets down again and flattens out. This is by far the easiest section of the day, which ends just at the foot of the only categorized climb, starting at 32.5 km to go: Coppa Casarinelle (GPM2, 15 km at 4.4%) is a long uphill drag, with some good ramps here and there but overall it is second category only because it's close to the finish. The top is at 18 km to go, but it's not the last climb of the day. In fact, after 5 km of descent to reach the town of S. Marco in Lamis the final ramp starts, which looks to be 2.5 km 6% average. From the top there are 10.5 km to go, 5 of which are on an easy and fast descent, while the last 5.5 are mostly flat and run though the roads of S.Giovanni Rotondo, where the finishing line is located.

G19_T06_SanGiovanniRotondo_ukm_jpg.jpg

The Climbs:
Coppa Casarinelle, GPM2, 15 km at 4.4%
Just a long and steady climb.

G19_T06_S01_Casarinelle_SAL_jpg.jpg

What to expect:
A decent selection in the peloton, and someone to attack on the final ramp and win it. Or maybe nothing at all, with the break of the day for the win. Depends on who in the peloton is willing to set the pace, and how much.

70649111.jpg

San Giovanni Rotondo, Sanctuary of Padre Pio

Re:

spalco said:
If the weather is like today, I would think the chance of a break succeeding and the peloton arriving considerable time later is near 100% here.
Weather should be a bit better than today, but still a decent chance of rain. I also think a break will win. Roglic already said he will probably lose the jersey, tomorrow, so let's see.

Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia, stage 6: Cassino - San Giovanni R. 2

If this goes to the break the finale could be seriously interesting otherwise I would fear a letdown. Anyway, hilly 238 kilometers will hurt and while I don't expect time gaps tomorrow in the longrun this stage will tire many riders for later in the race

I will be in Campobasso tomorrow but I still don'know where to position myself (probably at the intermediate sprint at Viale Elena). Not your typical cycling town;the most beloved sport is "eating" :cool:

According to some (don't know how reliable) reports, the peloton, after going through "downtown Campobasso" should go through this narrow road: Via San giovanni (the one on the right branching from the main Corso Mazzini).

O71s1ox.png

immediately followed by "the Sagan jumping-test" :D
isWRQ9I.jpg

I hope this combination won't cause problems...

Re:

Amazinmets87 said:
Assuming the break is caught, is that long, low gradient climb enough to shed the fastmen? Obviously depends largely on pace, but there seems little initiative for GC teams to up the tempo...
Usually these kind of climbs aren't selective even if used as mtf but here they won't be selective at all. If you attack you attack on the climb after that but I fear even that might not be enough to prevent a sprint. Who knows though, if everyone is exhausted it might as well and as a battle between gc contenders, you never know

Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
46&twoWheels said:
immediately followed by "the Sagan jumping-test" :D

I hope this combination won't cause problems...

Is it the picture that's off, or the tracks that are off?

I swear I had to double check one time, it was instinctual :lol:. Not that it would make a difference considering that taking a regional train here it's like traveling through the late '800 far west. (2nd smallest region in italy. Very welcoming but not easy to visit).

Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
oh my goodness, railway tracks. Better cancel the entire stage....

Its getting absurd.

now that I notice, the official Giro map (posted by OP) says that the level crossing will be after Bojano (Km 70 something) while my picture is at Km 90 something....I'm not 100% sure the crossing in the photo will be part of the giro...we'll see ;)

Hope no one has gone down with a cold or hypothermia after stage 5 - tumble dryers will be going all night to dry out kit.

Any who ... stage 6. 238 km., 6 hours long and with a sprint 13 km from the finish, just after the only cat climb of the day - weird spot. Cloudy, with a 50% chance of rain.

Sunweb plus the usual suspects to be in the break plus ... aye, that's the question. Maybe a second group will try at the foot of the cat climb for the stage win - Ciccone (for KOM points) maybe. Depends how riders feel after 200 km.

Re: 2019 Giro d'Italia, stage 6: Cassino - San Giovanni R. 2

I find it very hard to see any outcome other than a win for the breakaway. The finish doesn't suit any rider sufficiently clearly as to justify their team chasing and Lotto Jumbo would even appreciate someone else taking the leader's jersey for a few days.

Obviously it a bit of a lottery, but the profile is good for guys like Gallopin (33-1) and Kangert (100-1) as would be any poor weather. Gallopin wants to get a Giro stage win to complete his Grand Tour set and this stage looks to me his best opportinity. Kangert was really excellent in Leige and this stage is a little Leige-ish (especially if it rains).

Both are not far away on GC but I don't think the GC teams will care if either took a GC lead of a couple of minutes (yes, I know, Gallopin was 11th in the Vuelta, but no one thinks he realistically has any podium chance).

Pantani_lives said:
Squire said:
Nirvana said:
Tomorrow we need a big fuga bidone to spice up the race in the next weeks.
Something like L'Aquila 2010 would be awesome! Gallopin with a five minute head start. :D
Candidates to sneak into pink and keep it for at least a week: Jungels, Formolo, Gallopin, Sivakov, TG Hart, Vuillermoz, Kangert, Amador, Oomen.

I wondered about Oomen (as Tommy D's gone home) or Jungels. Tomorrow is a similar but 50 km shorter stage so someone new in pink today could well hold the jersey until Sunday's TT.

So 5 men break or 30? We shall see - stay tuned! :D

Robert5091 said:
Pantani_lives said:
Squire said:
Nirvana said:
Tomorrow we need a big fuga bidone to spice up the race in the next weeks.
Something like L'Aquila 2010 would be awesome! Gallopin with a five minute head start. :D
Candidates to sneak into pink and keep it for at least a week: Jungels, Formolo, Gallopin, Sivakov, TG Hart, Vuillermoz, Kangert, Amador, Oomen.

I wondered about Oomen (as Tommy D's gone home) or Jungels. Tomorrow is a similar but 50 km shorter stage so someone new in pink today could well hold the jersey until Sunday's TT.

So 5 men break or 30? We shall see - stay tuned! :D

I don't think they are brave enough to let Jungels go, Oomen is far enough back to probably be allowed in the break. But it would make a great race if jungels gets 5 minitues or something like that.