• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Strade Bianche, March 9th, 184 km 1.WT

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Bolder said:
I finally got a chance last year to visit some of the roads in the area, though we hiked some of them rather than biked as we were en famille. Beautiful country, unique, like P-R. Any "purist" who doesn't think this should be a monument is nuts. IMO it's basically an "insta-monument," and, at least to my mind, tops MSR, LBL and Lombardia. It's just that good. Also, for those who care about such things, it's more in tune with cycling culture, given the gravel/retro phenomenon. Only drawback this year is that the weather is forecast to be perfect.

Suggestions of new monuments is perhaps a murky discussion in general, as the term "monument" tends to make one think along the lines of "slam" or "major", which could be slightly misleading and result in inaccurate depictions in terms of individual sporting greatness. Men's road cycling already has five one day monuments, as well as the annual WCRR, giving thus six opportunities a year to hypothetically prove greatness (admittedly over varying terrain).

In reality, the difference in far of proof of greatness between winning many of the monuments, and between winning many of the 'classics' is minimal. There is no comparison at all between winning Queens Club and winning Wimbledon, whereas there is at least some between winning Amstel or F-W as opposed to LBL.

Therefore an argument could be made as to whether there should even be monuments. A greatness of a one day rider should really be determined more by consistency of high results, and total wins in both monuments and classics. Hypothetically, given that there is already a hilly monument for the climbers (Lombardia), and given that there is already a monument in Belgium (Flanders), a case could be made to promoting SB as a monument at the expense of LBL (also given the quality of the 'racing'). And that whole Ardennes week itself could be seen more or less as a collection of races, where the best rider over that week was such and such. But consider this. If LBL wasn't a monument, then Gilbert's incredible 2011 season would have won him less monuments in a year then Stuart O'Grady and Matthew Hayman once did.

Well, in this instance Italy would now hog three of the monuments, but this hasn't stopped America in men's golf :D

And it is not my suggestion of what should happen either. But it's to say that the term 'monument' runs the risk of over stating levels of greatness of certain riders. In Australia, there may well be the theory that Porte wasn't a 'great' rider, because he never won the TDF (and that Richie has never even made a GT podium is in fact an underachieving aspect of his career), whereas Hayman may well be considered 'great' because he won P-R. It's great that he won it, but he won one out of the nearly forty biggest cobbled classics that he competed in during his career, and won that event partly out of tactics and luck. If you were to rank riders from the past two decades, then maybe he would squeeze into the top 100 one day riders. Porte on the other hand, has won multiple one week stage racers, beating the very best in the world on some of those occasions, in battles of strength. Admittedly these racers were not the main targets of most riders, but still, many of those victories could be termed 'classics'. If Porte wasn't to rank in the top 20 stage race riders of the past two decades, he would certainly rank in the top 50.

Monuments are extremely hard to win too, therefore if people base too much on monument wins, then it becomes harder for the more proper greats of the sport to distance themselves from the Haymen's. And it can only make sense that if some events values increase, then others decrease, otherwise we'd almost be getting to the point of calling Nick Kyrios a tennis great because he won Acapulco (not that I am comparing that event to P-R :lol: ). But it wouldn't surprise me even if many sports followers put Hayman in the same great sporting category as say, Rob DeCastella. "He never won the Olympics," they would say. Cyclists tend not to be lumped with such hard measuring sticks, except for perhaps when it comes to whether they did or did not win the TDF, and they get a chance at that every year, not every four. Hayman - not to at all belittle his outstanding achievements as a cyclist, just using him as an example - of course shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as DeCastella, who was arguably the number one marathon runner in the world for three years, winning four 'major' races in a row. Anyway, apologies if I have gone rather off topic! But I doubt that there is room for SB as a monument.

Re: Re:

gregrowlerson said:
Bolder said:
I finally got a chance last year to visit some of the roads in the area, though we hiked some of them rather than biked as we were en famille. Beautiful country, unique, like P-R. Any "purist" who doesn't think this should be a monument is nuts. IMO it's basically an "insta-monument," and, at least to my mind, tops MSR, LBL and Lombardia. It's just that good. Also, for those who care about such things, it's more in tune with cycling culture, given the gravel/retro phenomenon. Only drawback this year is that the weather is forecast to be perfect.

Suggestions of new monuments is perhaps a murky discussion in general, as the term "monument" tends to make one think along the lines of "slam" or "major", which could be slightly misleading and result in inaccurate depictions in terms of individual sporting greatness. Men's road cycling already has five one day monuments, as well as the annual WCRR, giving thus six opportunities a year to hypothetically prove greatness (admittedly over varying terrain).

In reality, the difference in far of proof of greatness between winning many of the monuments, and between winning many of the 'classics' is minimal. There is no comparison at all between winning Queens Club and winning Wimbledon, whereas there is at least some between winning Amstel or F-W as opposed to LBL.

Therefore an argument could be made as to whether there should even be monuments. A greatness of a one day rider should really be determined more by consistency of high results, and total wins in both monuments and classics. Hypothetically, given that there is already a hilly monument for the climbers (Lombardia), and given that there is already a monument in Belgium (Flanders), a case could be made to promoting SB as a monument at the expense of LBL (also given the quality of the 'racing'). And that whole Ardennes week itself could be seen more or less as a collection of races, where the best rider over that week was such and such. But consider this. If LBL wasn't a monument, then Gilbert's incredible 2011 season would have won him less monuments in a year then Stuart O'Grady and Matthew Hayman once did.

Well, in this instance Italy would now hog three of the monuments, but this hasn't stopped America in men's golf :D

And it is not my suggestion of what should happen either. But it's to say that the term 'monument' runs the risk of over stating levels of greatness of certain riders. In Australia, there may well be the theory that Porte wasn't a 'great' rider, because he never won the TDF (and that Richie has never even made a GT podium is in fact an underachieving aspect of his career), whereas Hayman may well be considered 'great' because he won P-R. It's great that he won it, but he won one out of the nearly forty biggest cobbled classics that he competed in during his career, and won that event partly out of tactics and luck. If you were to rank riders from the past two decades, then maybe he would squeeze into the top 100 one day riders. Porte on the other hand, has won multiple one week stage racers, beating the very best in the world on some of those occasions, in battles of strength. Admittedly these racers were not the main targets of most riders, but still, many of those victories could be termed 'classics'. If Porte wasn't to rank in the top 20 stage race riders of the past two decades, he would certainly rank in the top 50.

Monuments are extremely hard to win too, therefore if people base too much on monument wins, then it becomes harder for the more proper greats of the sport to distance themselves from the Haymen's. And it can only make sense that if some events values increase, then others decrease, otherwise we'd almost be getting to the point of calling Nick Kyrios a tennis great because he won Acapulco (not that I am comparing that event to P-R :lol: ). But it wouldn't surprise me even if many sports followers put Hayman in the same great sporting category as say, Rob DeCastella. "He never won the Olympics," they would say. Cyclists tend not to be lumped with such hard measuring sticks, except for perhaps when it comes to whether they did or did not win the TDF, and they get a chance at that every year, not every four. Hayman - not to at all belittle his outstanding achievements as a cyclist, just using him as an example - of course shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as DeCastella, who was arguably the number one marathon runner in the world for three years, winning four 'major' races in a row. Anyway, apologies if I have gone rather off topic! But I doubt that there is room for SB as a monument.
Road cycling compares really poorly to just about any other sport, never mind tennis.

Mühlberger is leading Bora, he was strong last year and will have a good team to help. Will be his first race of the season though, so form may be a bit rusty. Schachmann should also be good. If they play it right they could both feature in the finale.

Had to run out for a local phone company who also is my internet provider. They had a good deal on Eurosport so I can finally ditch the old watching races from a computer screen. I only started watching races couple of years ago so all of this is so new still but oh boy did the Strade Bianche had me in awe last year. From the one day races this is my favourite. Too bad Bardet is not in. He was really good last year. Im gonna pull a Tim Wellens card this time around. I know I predicted Wout Van Aert to win this before the season but still.

Re:

jflemaire said:
Sporza starts broadcasting at 12:25 CET. Apparently with the women's race? Not sure I understood correctly.
Yes, the men one start at 14:00.

As usual we'll see only from Monte Sante Marie onwards. I think that after KBK (that in recent years went live when the intersting part was almost ended but that maybe is only Eurosport fault not due to lack of coverage from original broadcaster) is the worst covered race, a shame if you think we have Sanremo starting from 12:00, a race that usually ends at 17:00/17:30 and nothing happens before last half hour.

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Krokro said:
Someone brings Scarponi a few drinks and let's have a tchat here afterwards!

Seconded! His luck was considerably better than mine last weekend. Had each way on Lutsenko. missed out by half a wheel.

Today's sighting ride by Jumbo Visma:

D1J_-_mX4AM5uwA.jpg

D1J_-_kWkAAkxl5.jpg

Armchair cyclist said:
RedheadDane said:
Krokro said:

Is that the plan? Turning Scarponi into the Drunk Oracle of this forum?

We might have to spend most of our winnings on buying him a new liver.

Well RedheadDane, it sounds like a plan :D

More seriously, I'm really looking forward to this race. Can't really see if there is a true favorite and it makes it even better!
Everyone speaking about Balaphilippe but has he already race it? I can't really remember on the 3 last editions. Other than that, DQS and Astana look to have the stronger comps with LTS not that far behind.

Krokro said:
Armchair cyclist said:
RedheadDane said:
Krokro said:

Is that the plan? Turning Scarponi into the Drunk Oracle of this forum?

We might have to spend most of our winnings on buying him a new liver.

Well RedheadDane, it sounds like a plan :D

More seriously, I'm really looking forward to this race. Can't really see if there is a true favorite and it makes it even better!
Everyone speaking about Balaphilippe but has he already race it? I can't really remember on the 3 last editions. Other than that, DQS and Astana look to have the stronger comps with LTS not that far behind.

Balaphilippe has not raced Strade before. This is his first attempt.