2019 Strade Bianche, March 9th, 184 km 1.WT

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Here's the thing... after so many years of anæmic coverage of women's races, seeing 15km live is almost a win in and of itself, even if it's far less than hoped for. It's heartening that many are upset by a lack of coverage, when in the not too distant past 15km of the women's race would have been considered a humongous luxury even on a repeat at 1am. Hopefully we can get a bit more of a summary that includes some highlights from earlier in the race to show how the race got to where it was with the group of 12 or so at 15km to go. And we did kind of miss almost all of the strade bianche sections. In the race specifically named Strade Bianche.

Maybe they just underestimated how fast and strong the women's péloton is.
 
Re:

Salvarani said:
30km-40km left is at least something, once the broadcast start. But yeah, coverage another reason this race does not have that status yet thats been discussed.
How good do you think the broadcast was of Paris-Roubaix when that began to be considered a top classic?

The fact that we all are so annoyed about the horrible broadcast is another factor that hints to the importance of the race.
 
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
Here's the thing... after so many years of anæmic coverage of women's races, seeing 15km live is almost a win in and of itself, even if it's far less than hoped for. It's heartening that many are upset by a lack of coverage, when in the not too distant past 15km of the women's race would have been considered a humongous luxury even on a repeat at 1am. Hopefully we can get a bit more of a summary that includes some highlights from earlier in the race to show how the race got to where it was with the group of 12 or so at 15km to go. And we did kind of miss almost all of the strade bianche sections. In the race specifically named Strade Bianche.

Maybe they just underestimated how fast and strong the women's péloton is.
Sure, it's better than before, but I want it AAAALL!!!!!!!!!!
 
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
SafeBet said:
I reckon a sh*tstorm on their Twitter accounts would be more useful than sending private emails.
I was actually thinking the other way around; that emails is more... official.
Hmm... would writing on the FB page be an idea too?
Any social media is better than email in my limited experience. No company wants to be shamed in public.
 
Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Salvarani said:
30km-40km left is at least something, once the broadcast start. But yeah, coverage another reason this race does not have that status yet thats been discussed.
How good do you think the broadcast was of Paris-Roubaix when that began to be considered a top classic?

The fact that we all are so annoyed about the horrible broadcast is another factor that hints to the importance of the race.
Idk when that was discussed because its always been a big race since I’ve known it... maybe this race will reach that status with time
 
Re: Re:

Salvarani said:
tobydawq said:
Salvarani said:
30km-40km left is at least something, once the broadcast start. But yeah, coverage another reason this race does not have that status yet thats been discussed.
How good do you think the broadcast was of Paris-Roubaix when that began to be considered a top classic?

The fact that we all are so annoyed about the horrible broadcast is another factor that hints to the importance of the race.
Idk when that was discussed because its always been a big race since I’ve known it... maybe this race will reach that status with time
Yeah, it was a joke, because it became a big classic before the tv was invented. My point just is that the fact that RCS are being idiots about the broadcast can't cover up the fact that their race is awesome and could become as important as MSR and Il Lombardia if it's not run on the eve of Paris-Nice and doesn't suffer from lack of participation by big riders, which is kind of a problem this year, where Sagan, Valverde, Kwiatkowski, Bardet, Pinot and many other potential winners have decided to not return.
 
I dunno how early P-R began being considered a great race, but it's possible they didn't even have the equipment for better coverage than what they got.
They don't have that excuse nowadays!








I... may be a bit spoiled...
 
It could one day become that important, but let's face it, a large part of the race's original appeal was its throwback nature. It was deliberately created to be a throwback to those racing days when those were the races. It will take plenty of time to the point where the Sagans and Cancellaras of this world are classics superstars of yesteryear in the way that de Vlaeminck et al are now, and that its origins as a wilful throwback are obscured as it becomes a traditional part of the calendar, and then it might get to that level.

I still think it will fall short of MSR and Lombardia, but it can probably eclipse the other non-monument Classics because it offers something distinctly different. Remember, plenty of very strong races have joined the calendar between the inception of the 5 races now known as the monuments and have become established high profile classics without being worth more than them - Amstel Gold Race (1966), E3 Prijs (1958), Gent-Wevelgem (1934), Omloop (1945) for example - and the fact that, unlike most other such one-day races Strade Bianche offers something unique, which is something that the Monuments all have in their favour, is a major weapon in its arsenal for future acceptance. Let's remember there have been lots of "sixth monument" type races over the years - Flèche Wallonne, Paris-Tours, Züri-Metzgete - which have fluctuated in prestige as time has gone by. As things stand Strade Bianche is, ironically enough considering it was created to be a throwback, a "modern classic" or an "instant classic", but not yet something in which the prestige level with the Monuments is considered inherent, and while the calendar spot is part of that, the fact that we do not yet have a generation of cyclists who will have grown up with winning Strade Bianche as one of their dreams is part of that. In the days when the young prospects grow up idolizing Cancellara and Sagan and their like, perhaps that will happen, but right now the race simply cannot have that, simply as it didn't exist when the current péloton were children dreaming of success. They will have grown up dreaming of mimicking the achievements of de Vlaeminck, Kelly, Argentin, Moser. When we have a generation for whom Cancellara, Sagan, van Avermaet etc. are historic precedent in the same way as that, things may change and Strade Bianche will join the top tier of prestige, but not before.
 
Re:

Son of Amsterhammer said:
why would the organizers (who you would assume want to elevate the race) not want more coverage though??
Maybe they don't actually want the race to gain in prestige compared to MSR (which is my favourite race on the calendar, but clearly losing in popularity generally).
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY