• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de France – Stage 6 – Mulhouse–LPDBF - 157 km

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

gregrowlerson said:
G's performance was a bit of a surprise, but I'm not sure why some seem to be conceding the race already. The alps are a full two weeks away. Thomas gained very little time on most of his rivals, and the race will be won at the really high altitudes. A good result for Quintana, and Pinot obviously. Nice for Fulgsang, given his stage 1 crash. Good for Porte, given his low key season. And Ineos will hardly be forcing Bernal to race as a domestique yet; he lost what....ten seconds?

I think history from the past decade (since 2012) shows us what to expect . . . which is an easy GC win for the Ineos leader (this year, Thomas), barring crashing out.

Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Valv.Piti said:
****** stage again. Almost watched the entirety of these Vosges stage cause they used to be great fun, but that this was just super disappointing.

Hopefully the Massifs will be better. It only can be. If it isn't, I probably won't watch much of the rest of the Tour.
It sounds like you just had unrealistic expectations. Why did you hope something major was gonna unfold, when every GC contender is still fresh and when you know how the last 3 ascents of PdBF have gone??
It seems like you don't know how the last 3 ascents have gone.

2012 - big time gaps, great racing.
2014 - big time gaps, good racing.
2017 - decent time gaps, decent racing.
2019 - 1 km sprint, bad racing, close to no timegaps.

I can remember, more or less, all the of important mountain stages from mid 2000's and onwards. I know what I talk about and this one was NOT how the other MTFs unfolded. I don't need to check no results, I know when I watch ***.

It looks like this Tour will be a repetition of last year: two uphill sprints and a decent time trial should be enough for Thomas to bag a second win. Candidates for the two remaining podium spots would be Pinot, Quintana, Landa, Fuglsang, Buchmann and Bernal.

Of course I hope something will happen in the mountains, but it looks bad after today.

Re:

Screecher said:
Such an effort from Alaphilippe and for nothing. Lost the jersey anyway. That must be very frustrating.

1. Allaphillipe will get the jersey back for rest day and Bastille day ...D_QS will see to that.SO todays ride will be worth it

2.He showed himself and the rest that the boy can climb with the best ...major boost if he ever decides to lose KGs and take on the Tour

3.He showed all what courage is and what class is

I can only think that people who thought that was a rubbish stage don't like cycling. I loved it. A bit of everything in there .... sure, lots of chess, but the break got the win their bravery deserved, the yellow jersey wearer defended valiantly against the odds and absolutely no-one had a place to hide. Loved the dirt climb. And Ciccone in yellow .... YES!

Re:

Lequack said:
That's how Geraint won last year. He always put in these last km sprints and gained seconds here and there, but enough in the end.

When you consider his time trial advantage he has on the other contenders thats all he needs to do. The onus is on them to change that. The annoying part is Ineos could well be too strong again for that to be allowed to happen

Re:

Forever The Best said:
One of the worst mountain stages I've ever watched. No attacks until the final km except Landa.

Today's stage was a quick reminder about why I shouldn't watch the Tour. Awful GC action, same status quo as before, absolutely predictable results with one team having the 2 strongest riders who were #2 and #3 plan for the team (they would have done a 1-2-3 if Froome had raced!)

perhaps even 1-2-3-4 with properly prepared Poels

Singularitarian said:
Forever The Best said:
One of the worst mountain stages I've ever watched. No attacks until the final km except Landa.

Today's stage was a quick reminder about why I shouldn't watch the Tour. Awful GC action, same status quo as before, absolutely predictable results with one team having the 2 strongest riders who were #2 and #3 plan for the team (they would have done a 1-2-3 if Froome had raced!)

Poels is not better than Nairo, Bernal, Porte, Fuglsang, Yates, Martin, Uran, Pinot, Bardet, Landa, and probably others so no.

Valv.Piti said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Valv.Piti said:
****** stage again. Almost watched the entirety of these Vosges stage cause they used to be great fun, but that this was just super disappointing.

Hopefully the Massifs will be better. It only can be. If it isn't, I probably won't watch much of the rest of the Tour.
It sounds like you just had unrealistic expectations. Why did you hope something major was gonna unfold, when every GC contender is still fresh and when you know how the last 3 ascents of PdBF have gone??

I can remember, more or less, all the of important mountain stages from mid 2000's and onwards. I know what I talk about and this one was NOT how the other MTFs unfolded. I don't need to check no results, I know when I watch ****.
Are you trying to be funny valv?
images

I can't help but think that the addition of the steep gravel sector made the riders more afraid of putting in speculative or serious attacks (e.g. Aru 2017), and so made a more boring stage overall. Sure, the last hundred meters were good and gravel was fun, but such walls with 2-3 minutes excitement are Vueltaesque and doesn't suit a race with the highest stake in pro cycling. If (or rather when) the race visits La Planche next time, I hope they return to the old finish. If the organizers still want to be trendy and include gravel (which I like btw, don't get me wrong), then use a long climb with gravel - surely there is a French Finestre that fits such a purpose?

Midnightfright said:
Lequack said:
That's how Geraint won last year. He always put in these last km sprints and gained seconds here and there, but enough in the end.

When you consider his time trial advantage he has on the other contenders thats all he needs to do. The onus is on them to change that. The annoying part is Ineos could well be too strong again for that to be allowed to happen

Unless Thomas has a crash this has just become his race to lose. IF Pinot can hold it together in the final week he's got one of the other 2 podium spots. IMO it's only the 3rd spot on the podium that is up for grabs and I saw nothing from Quintana to say he has any shot at it today.

Koronin said:
Midnightfright said:
Lequack said:

Unless Thomas has a crash this has just become his race to lose. IF Pinot can hold it together in the final week he's got one of the other 2 podium spots. IMO it's only the 3rd spot on the podium that is up for grabs and I saw nothing from Quintana to say he has any shot at it today.

I have to agree, for the most part, especially about Thomas having it sewed up (barring a crash). I agree that Pinot should podium if he doesn't have bad luck (crash or illness). Still expecting Bernal to be allowed by Ineos to podium if he wants to. I don't think Landa can make top 5. The Giro is in his legs.

JosephK said:
Koronin said:
Midnightfright said:
Lequack said:

I have to agree, for the most part, especially about Thomas having it sewed up (barring a crash). I agree that Pinot should podium if he doesn't have bad luck (crash or illness). Still expecting Bernal to be allowed by Ineos to podium if he wants to. I don't think Quintana or Landa can make top 5. The Giro is in their legs.

That was Carapaz who won the Giro, not Quintana. Maybe Nairo still has the 2017 Giro in his legs.

Re:

Simurgh said:
I can't help but think that the addition of the steep gravel sector made the riders more afraid of putting in speculative or serious attacks (e.g. Aru 2017), and so made a more boring stage overall. Sure, the last hundred meters were good and gravel was fun, but such walls with 2-3 minutes excitement are Vueltaesque and doesn't suit a race with the highest stake in pro cycling. If (or rather when) the race visits La Planche next time, I hope they return to the old finish. If the organizers still want to be trendy and include gravel (which I like btw, don't get me wrong), then use a long climb with gravel - surely there is a French Finestre that fits such a purpose?

A reason this became even more underwhelming was probably also that we couldn't really see what happened initially in the peloton because the battle for the stage was taking place at that time.

JosephK said:
Koronin said:
Midnightfright said:
Lequack said:

I have to agree, for the most part, especially about Thomas having it sewed up (barring a crash). I agree that Pinot should podium if he doesn't have bad luck (crash or illness). Still expecting Bernal to be allowed by Ineos to podium if he wants to. I don't think Quintana or Landa can make top 5. The Giro is in their legs.

Quintana wasn't at the Giro, however, at this point I'm with you that it's unlikely either one makes top 5. I think you're right that Bernal will be allowed to race for the podium as long as it doesn't hurt Thomas' overall GC.

tobydawq said:
Simurgh said:

A reason this became even more underwhelming was probably also that we couldn't really see what happened initially in the peloton because the battle for the stage was taking place at that time.

D'Artagnan attacked somewhere in the last km, that's what happened.

Singularitarian said:
Forever The Best said:

Poels is properly prepared...for the 3rd week

Rollthedice said:
tobydawq said:
Simurgh said:

D'Artagnan attacked somewhere in the last km, that's what happened.

Yeah, and a lot of riders were dropped at different points. That would have been nice to see (of course we did see Bardet being dropped a that was apparently the most important thing compared to GC battle (of which you will probably say there was none, which I will not agree with) and stage victory battle).

Cance > TheRest said:
Valv.Piti said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Valv.Piti said:

I can remember, more or less, all the of important mountain stages from mid 2000's and onwards. I know what I talk about and this one was NOT how the other MTFs unfolded. I don't need to check no results, I know when I watch ****.
Are you trying to be funny valv?
images

No, Im not trying to be funny. Go look at the results at PCS, watch the last climb on Youtube etc. I have no clue what you are on about - the ascents in 2012 and 2014 were full gas from bottom to the top and relatively big gaps considering the length of the climb. You are trying to sell a different story to me which obviously is untrue.

2012: https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-france/2012/stage-7
2014: https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-de-france/2014/stage-10

Dont really know what your agenda is apart from mocking me for trying to me funny. These are the results. Facts, you know. The last ascents of this climbs have obviously not gone the way that you trying to teach me for some reason I dont really know. Blatantly untrue.

Edit: And stupid pictures like this almost make me vomit, especially when they are THIS unwarranted.

Rollthedice said:
JosephK said:
Koronin said:
Midnightfright said:
Lequack said:

I have to agree, for the most part, especially about Thomas having it sewed up (barring a crash). I agree that Pinot should podium if he doesn't have bad luck (crash or illness). Still expecting Bernal to be allowed by Ineos to podium if he wants to. I don't think ######## Landa can make top 5. The Giro is in his legs.

That was Carapaz who won the Giro, not Quintana. Maybe Nairo still has the 2017 Giro in his legs.

Right. My bad. :eek:

TRENDING THREADS