• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de France, La Course & stage 13: Paauuu...

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yates, poor performance. Stiil, I think he will try to attack tomorrow from 20-15k.
Cruyffswijk as expected, and thats a good sign.
Nothing is over even though the course which lef them to overcome is run of the mill. At most.

Re: Re:

Midnightfright said:
Keram said:
Lequack said:
He would be the most popular winner in the last decade or more, not since Cadel Evans.or Contador.

And most surprising since? :lol: Anyway I think he will crack this weekend.

Tomorrow will tell, he should lose a good chunk of time but it's hard to tell. I wonder how long Mas would work for him considering he is in the podium mix

That will be really interesting to watch. Does Mas get some kind of a free role or does he have to protect Alaphilippe?

Red Rick said:
bob.a.feet said:
Lequack said:
He would be the most popular winner in the last decade or more, not since Cadel Evans.or Contador.
When you consider he is loved by all of France and most non-French it would be most popular since at least Pantani. Basically imagine if Voeckler had won in 2011
Thought everyone outside France hated Voeckler
Personally I was a fan and was enjoying 2011

Red Rick said:
bob.a.feet said:
Lequack said:
When you consider he is loved by all of France and most non-French it would be most popular since at least Pantani. Basically imagine if Voeckler had won in 2011
Well they only really got to know him after 2011. If he'd won it in 2011, it would've been a real feelgood story.

markene2 said:
luckyboy said:
Evans was popular outside of Anglo nations?

I dont feel so, not to my knowledge at least.
Evans wasn't even popular outside of Australia. I think even some Aussies find him a bit prickly.

Leinster said:
Red Rick said:
bob.a.feet said:
Lequack said:
Well they only really got to know him after 2011. If he'd won it in 2011, it would've been a real feelgood story.

markene2 said:
luckyboy said:
Evans was popular outside of Anglo nations?

I dont feel so, not to my knowledge at least.
Evans wasn't even popular outside of Australia. I think even some Aussies find him a bit prickly.

He got popular towards the end of his career, when he started being more open and friendly towards fans and press.

So with Evans it kinda depends when in his career you judge his popularity.

bob.a.feet said:
Red Rick said:
bob.a.feet said:
Lequack said:

Same here

Krokro said:
Cinemaniak said:
I see another 'Rasmussen'-story developing this Tour. The guy who also wasn't considered to be in the race for yellow

Can you stop spreading your hate? Nobody's replying to your conspiracy theories. We got it, Ala is not clean. Go to the Clinic for everyone's sake..

Earlier in the stage it was Asgreen he was complaining about..... something about him not seeming tired enough :rolleyes:

Mayomaniac said:
klintE said:
Yates, poor performance. Stiil, I think he will try to attack tomorrow from 20-15k.
Cruyffswijk as expected, and thats a good sign.
Nothing is over even though the course which lef them to overcome is run of the mill. At most.
Wrong Yates for long range attacks. :D

20k i'ts not so long range IMO
I remember when Adam attacked on 30k climb and almost did it :) Failed 10k to go.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Staggering ride by Alaphilippe. To beat Thomas in a TT of this length? Not to mention all the big GC guns? Amazing

Yet sorry, I still give him 0% chance to win the Tour. I just don't see him competing in high or multi mountain stages..

Did you see Thomas competing in the mountains before he competed in the mountains?

bob.a.feet said:
Red Rick said:
bob.a.feet said:
Lequack said:

His ride to hold onto the yellow jersey on the Galibier climb that year may have been his finest.

From Fuglsangs daily column:

"Ineos will probably start to put a hard pressure on tomorrow, seeing as how Alaphilippe has been riding.

When he crossed the line at the TT, be didn't look like someone who had just killed himself for 27 k. The rest of us were hanging over the handlebars and could hardly speak. He did a burn-out, and stood and cheered for 1 ½ minute without taking a breath, while the rest of us were hanging off the frame gasping for air. I thought "Damn, that is quite impressive"".

Andy262 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Staggering ride by Alaphilippe. To beat Thomas in a TT of this length? Not to mention all the big GC guns? Amazing

Yet sorry, I still give him 0% chance to win the Tour. I just don't see him competing in high or multi mountain stages..

Did you see Thomas competing in the mountains before he competed in the mountains?

2015 PDB.

Plus he was competitive on a number of MTF's in one week races that were tougher than any that Alaphilippe had been competitive on.

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Leinster said:
Evans wasn't ever popular outside of Australia. I think even some Aussies find him a bit prickly.
He got popular towards the end of his career, when he started being more open and friendly towards fans and press.
So with Evans it kinda depends when in his career you judge his popularity.
Cadel Evans was the most hostile to the media of any major cyclist, and is still legendary for some of his confrontations. 'A bit prickly' is kind of an understatement, 'a bit psychotic' was the impression he made, therefore the public came to believe the same
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/cadel-evans-greatest-youtube-hits-156232
Some of Evans' 'greatest hits' are at that link, and those are just the incidents which were caught on video, there were a lot more verbal and physical confrontations in his early career. Evans was an emotionally disturbed child because he got brain damage by being kicked in the head by a horse. Then he was bullied by kids in school because of the deformation of his depressed-fracture on his skull after the brain surgery.

The way he became more popular was like: "Everybody loves a winner" when he started to get top wins, "underdog narrative", and being one of the few clean-ish cyclists in the midst of a dozen or more top TdF riders who were involved in doping. In fact in retrospect, Evans is the only one of the 2005 TdF top-10 finishers not to have tested positive, or be clearly implicated in doping. Or, in 2008 there was Sastre and Kirchen and nobody else, 'clean'. Evans did kind of get away with his association with Dr. Ferrari though. And especially, Evans got more popular by learning to control his public behavioral problems and be 'nicer' to people
The guy who touched his injured shoulder deserved to get knocked out though.

TRENDING THREADS