• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de France, stage 2: Bruxelles - Brussel 27,6 km TT

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Very impressive ride by Jumbo-Visma. Obviously having T Martin and WvA is a huge bonus for a TTT. I thought they had a chance to win, but did not expect it by that large of a margin. EF is right in the mix, which I had thought they would be and I think for the TTT the addition of Tejay helped. I'm impressed with FDJ as well. They didn't lose that much time to the majority of teams right at the top (not including Jumbo) and have kept Pinot in the mix for GC. On the other side we have Movistar, Trek, and AG2R with rides that could easily have taken them out of GC. Interestingly enough Valverde and Landa both said there TTT was what they had expected. Something about they are a team built for the mountains, not something like that.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Do you guys think that Teunissen will keep the jersey until Belles Filles?

Personally, I do. Wearing yellow gives you wings.

I have no idea of Teunissen's climbing abilities, but Stage 5 can be pretty hard for pure sprinting expert. There are 3 +5km and +5% climbs there, lot depends how those are raced by the GC/rouler teams. I do not expect pure bunch print finish on that stage. Could easily go to break as well.

Re: 2019 Tour de France, stage 2: Bruxelles - Brussel 27,6 k

Jumbo has been solid in TTTs this entire year. They also made today a goal, but so did a few other teams.
Tony Martin is a beast, but also a multi WC in TTT's who brings in a lot ofvecperience. WvA is a monster, he has proven that by now. Also Teunissen clearly the form of his life.

To be fair all of this doesnt mean anything in regard to SK's climbing.

Re: Re:

bambino said:
Velolover2 said:

I have no idea of Teunissen's climbing abilities, but Stage 5 can be pretty hard for pure sprinting expert. There are 3 +5km and +5% climbs there, lot depends how those are raced by the GC/rouler teams. I do not expect pure bunch print finish on that stage. Could easily go to break as well.

Teunissen climbs a lot better that Groenewegen(not hard), but I guess it depends on how hard they race it. If it comes down to a selection of 30 man then he shouldnt be there, but having great form and the yellow jersey....

bambino said:
Velolover2 said:

Teunissen is more of a classics rider made for small Flemish climbs and cobbles than a pure sprinter. Not ideal for tougher hilly stages but I still think he can survive those while wearing yellow unless a break with a rider like GVA makes it to the finish before the peloton.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Amazing ride by Jumbo, who are the boss in TTT’s.

Ineos will be very happy. Movistar, Trek and AG2R much less so.

From what Landa and Valverde said, Movistar is where they (the team) had expected to be after the TTT. Something about they are a team for the mountains and not a stage like today.

Koronin said:
Pricey_sky said:

From what Landa and Valverde said, Movistar is where they (the team) had expected to be after the TTT. Something about they are a team for the mountains and not a stage like today.

Yeah I didn’t expect them to be close, but still can’t be happy giving up 45” already to Ineos, with another TT to come.

normally compare it to cx, Teunissen, as ex u23 world champ, quit because Van Aert and Vd Poel were too good.

it's more or less like that on the road, he can survive the hilly stuff, but probably not as good as Van Aert. So it depends how hard they race it.
However, I do have to say I've never seen Teunissen THIS good.

Pricey_sky said:
Koronin said:
Pricey_sky said:

Yeah I didn’t expect them to be close, but still can’t be happy giving up 45” already to Ineos, with another TT to come.

With the responses from Valverde and Landa (and also Mr Unzue) it seems the team is satisfied with this result. So who knows.

Its a dream start of the Tour for Jumbo Visma, they showed that even without their best TTT team they are the best at the moment.
I don't have much of a doubt that they will be the team with most wins in this edition.
Surprising results by FDJ, Katusha and CCC disappointing Movistar and Trek.

The big question is how much support other than Bennett will he get in the uphill bits.

Ineos will work over Kruijswijk on the shorter mountain stages, I fear (beware the train!). Bennett needs to up his game to support Kruijswijk to be sure Jumbo get their man on the GC podium.

Leinster said:
bambino said:
hfer07 said:
So...
GC wise- Egan & G are on top, Uran right behind, Pinot & Fuglsang still in contention. Notice I didn't mention Nibali-even if his team did well in the TTT- because he's a wild card in this Tour because of the Giro already in his legs.

Not a positive outcome for Nairo/Landa & Porte, So they must go aggressive on stage 6th...

I guess Kruiswijk is on top GC wise? I don't think we can just rate last year #5 below Pinot's, Fuglsang's et co of this world...
Absolutely. The guy who led the Giro until a crash on the 2nd last mountain stage now has a 30 second cushion over any other gc contender and has as strong a team around him as anyone in the race. Everyone else has to beat him now.

The big question is how much support other than Bennett will he get in the uphill bits.

He only has 20 seconds to Ineos guy. Could lose that on BF and certainly will by the TT to the likes of Thomas.

D-5aFtmXUAEla3L.jpg

D-4EgZgXsAAowZU.jpg

D-5ayrMWwAANX62.jpg:large

D-5JkyjXoAA4nQv.jpg:large

D-5ZvSBWwAIW2Z2.jpg

Koronin said:
Pricey_sky said:
Koronin said:
Pricey_sky said:

With the responses from Valverde and Landa (and also Mr Unzue) it seems the team is satisfied with this result. So who knows.

Mr. Unzue said himself that 30 sec loss would be tolerable for Movistar. This one is bigger, so i don't think he's particularly happy with it...

woodburn said:
Leinster said:
bambino said:
hfer07 said:
So...
GC wise- Egan & G are on top, Uran right behind, Pinot & Fuglsang still in contention. Notice I didn't mention Nibali-even if his team did well in the TTT- because he's a wild card in this Tour because of the Giro already in his legs.

Not a positive outcome for Nairo/Landa & Porte, So they must go aggressive on stage 6th...

I guess Kruiswijk is on top GC wise? I don't think we can just rate last year #5 below Pinot's, Fuglsang's et co of this world...
Absolutely. The guy who led the Giro until a crash on the 2nd last mountain stage now has a 30 second cushion over any other gc contender and has as strong a team around him as anyone in the race. Everyone else has to beat him now.

He only has 20 seconds to Ineos guy. Could lose that on BF and certainly will by the TT to the likes of Thomas.

Well, you may just shrug this off but actually, this is far and away the biggest deficiency Ineos'/Sky's top rider has ever had to a serious GC rival in the Tour since before Wiggins' win in 2012 (of course not including 2014).

So it is certainly an unusual situation.

The biggest loser today fro me was Richie Porte ...he needs all the luck he can get but that was very poor from Trek
Also very poor were Movistar ...what gives ? You would think a team like Movistar would put more effort in TT training esp with Landa and TTT

Sunweb did very well considering Kelderman & Roche had mechanicals and two guys blew going too fast .IF Dumoulin was there they would have given Lotto a run for their money

tobydawq said:
Leinster said:
bambino said:
hfer07 said:
So...

De Plus is also really good on the climbs.

I played Kruijswijk at odds 21 just before the Tour. Now he is already at 11 but still decent value I would say.

I'm still a bit doubtful about Kruijswijk's chances despite his current advantage - not because of his skills- but because of his luck & fragility during a GT. He could well surprise us, but I prefer not to have expectations of him at all....

BTW I didn't mention Enric Mas either despite the team's performance, because to me he's in that zone where he has yet to "prove" himself among the big names to be considered a solid contender....

hfer07 said:
tobydawq said:
Leinster said:
bambino said:
hfer07 said:
So...

De Plus is also really good on the climbs.

I played Kruijswijk at odds 21 just before the Tour. Now he is already at 11 but still decent value I would say.

I'm still a bit doubtful about Kruijswijk's chances despite his current advantage - not because of his skills- but because of his luck & fragility during a GT. He could well surprise us, but I prefer not to have expectations of him at all....

BTW I didn't mention Enric Mas either despite the team's performance, because to me he's in that zone where he has yet to "prove" himself among the big names to be considered a solid contender....

It's rather funny, that you (and many others on this forum) would think this way about Kruijswijk, but you consider Fuglsang, who has proved far less than Kruijswijk in GT GC's (to put it politely), to be "in contention", even though he is 41 seconds down on Kruijswijk and the race has yet to begin.
He has 6 GT top 10's, of which 3 in top 5, regardless of his bad luck. Fuglsang has 1 top 10 spot.

[quote="] It's rather funny, that you (and many others on this forum) would think this way about Kruijswijk, but you consider Fuglsang, who has proved far less than Kruijswijk in GT GC's (to put it politely), to be "in contention", even though he is 41 seconds down on Kruijswijk and the race has yet to begin.
He has 6 GT top 10's, of which 3 in top 5, regardless of his bad luck. Fuglsang has 1 top 10 spot.[/quote]

I'm not arguing your point, but Fuglsang is in the shape of his life with Astana - a tried and true GT team, whereas Kruijswijk has not shown anything remotely close to that amazing 2016 Giro- and his team is Jumbo Vista- a good team yet to be tested against the best- just go back to the this past Giro and notice all the flaws the team had in supporting Roglic...... just saying

hfer07 said:
It's rather funny, that you (and many others on this forum) would think this way about Kruijswijk, but you consider Fuglsang, who has proved far less than Kruijswijk in GT GC's (to put it politely), to be "in contention", even though he is 41 seconds down on Kruijswijk and the race has yet to begin.
He has 6 GT top 10's, of which 3 in top 5, regardless of his bad luck. Fuglsang has 1 top 10 spot.

I'm not arguing your point, but Fuglsang is in the shape of his life with Astana - a tried and true GT team, whereas Kruijswijk has not shown anything remotely close to that amazing 2016 Giro- and his team is Jumbo Vista- a good team yet to be tested against the best- just go back to the this past Giro and notice all the flaws the team had in supporting Roglic...... just saying
Kruijswijk finished in the top 5 twice, since then, unlike Fuglsang. And while Fuglsang has been a standout rider in the classics, and won the Dauphiné, this doesn't mean he will suddenly be a contender for a GT GC. One could even question if his season won't have been too long at too high a level for a rider who never broke through in GT's, to suddenly be able to carry his form over through 3 weeks of GC racing.

TRENDING THREADS