• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de France, stage 9: Saint-Étienne>Brioude 170,5Km

C. PRUDHOMME'S COMMENT
One might recommend to be part of a breakaway to hope for success once in Brioude. But only those that will have been valiant on the Mur d’Aurec-sur-Loire, for instance, can conquer glory. A final selection will be made to go on the Côte de Saint-Just (3,7km at an average of 7,3 %), at 13kms from the finish at Brioude.

stage-9-route.jpg

7749f

0ca2f

c603b

116e9

f07d1

Brioude is first and foremost known to the cycling lover as the hometown of Romain Bardet, second in the Tour de France in 2016 and third in 2017. The leader of the Ag2R-La Mondiale outfit was born here on November 9, 1990 and took his first license at the Vélo Sport Brivadois in 2000. He joined the training structure of Ag2R-La Mondiale, Chambéry CF, in 2010. The rest of the story is better known.

The city of Haute-Loire received the Tour only once in the past, in 2008, for the start of a stage won authoritatively in Aurillac by Spaniard Luis Leon Sanchez. In 2013, a Paris-Nice stage was convincingly won by American Andrew Talansky, on a day when the young local runner, then 22 years old, finished 6th. In 2014, the first stage of the Tour de l'Avenir ended in Brioude with a victory by Kristoffer Skjerping, then the under-23 Norwegian champion. After two seasons with Cannondale, Skjerping failed to convince at World Tour level and returned to Norway.
8ab93

15d88

Km 27.5
Saint-Paul-en-Cornillon
f3b87

Km 31
Aurec-sur-Loire
57a81

Km 55.5
Apinac
8d490

Km 73
Craponne-sur-Arzon
698eb

PUY-DE-DOME
e3503

Km 88
Dore-l’Eglise
6fe76

Re:

Leinster said:
How narrow is the Puy de Dome road that it can never be used in the Tour again? Especially given the Planche finish used this year.
They built a train track for lazy tourists, reducing the road to one lane. Still do-able IMO, and that would be a climb that riders wouldn't know where to rest and so forth.

For this stage, bonus time to create havoc on the last climb close to the finish. Maybe Jalaphilippe and Tibopino can do it again...

Bora and Sunweb have tried to control stages I never would have thought they would try to control, but the breakaway riders must man up today and not just end up as 4 as the previous, similar stages.. hopefully a really big, uncontrollable break forming on the hard climb assuring some really quality guys!

It was very hard yesteday and who knows, maybe someone feeling a bit iffy today. The first week is always long. It is up and down all day. Less climbs than yesterday, but something could surely happen in the last climb.

Hoping for a big group in the breakaway and maybe someone to try something. Im not getting my hopes up too much though.

Re:

DJ Sprtsch said:
Break: Barguil, LLS, Herrada, Benoot + a guy from Wanty & one from DD, and some 4-5 other French riders (Vuillermoz, Gallopin, Molard, Calmejane). Something like that. GC men are going to watch each other, slow pace up the cat 1.

I'd love to see Barguil take the stage in a glorious moment on Bastille day wearing that Jersey :) Would be beautiful following on from yesterday.

I'm not convinced Calmejane is in very good form at the mo, and I think Rudy will be needing to save energy for dom duties down the line. Herrada seems favourite out of that lot for me.

TRENDING THREADS