• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 Tour de Suisse

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

JosephK said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Bernal 11th in a pan flat 19km time trial, losing less than 2s a km to Dennis.

Yikes.

Really strong TT for Bernal, but maybe not eye-popping. Soler rode almost the same time as Bernal.
Bernal did a good ITT, but nothing exceptional. It was Dennis who disappointed, but he must have been tired after giving everything to limit the damage in the mountains.

Pantani_lives said:
JosephK said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Bernal 11th in a pan flat 19km time trial, losing less than 2s a km to Dennis.

Yikes.

Really strong TT for Bernal, but maybe not eye-popping. Soler rode almost the same time as Bernal.
Bernal did a good ITT, but nothing exceptional. It was Dennis who disappointed, but he must have been tired after giving everything to limit the damage in the mountains.

The INEOS Colombians had a great day today.

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Btw (since there is no TdF discussion thread yet ;) ):

Buchmann & Konrad are a very overlooked pair.

If they can work together properly on the big mountain stages, they can absolutely be a threat to the podium.

So, can Benoot go for the podium too? He's only 8 seconds down on Konrad. The only chance a guy like Konrad has to podium in TDF, is when the entire group of favorites crash.

Bernal, Thomas, Kruijswijck, Mas, Yates, Landa, Pinot, Bardet, Quintana, Fuglsang...

I mean, seriously.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Broccolidwarf said:

If they can work together properly on the big mountain stages, they can absolutely be a threat to the podium.

So, can Benoot go for the podium too? He's only 8 seconds down on Konrad. The only chance a guy like Konrad has to podium in TDF, is when the entire group of favorites crash.

Bernal, Thomas, Kruijswijck, Mas, Yates, Landa, Pinot, Bardet, Quintana, Fuglsang...

I mean, seriously.

Sure, why not :)

Broccolidwarf said:

I mean, seriously.

I do think alot of the riders listed above may not have top form so for me the Tour podium is wide open after an Ineos winner

The Yates are delicate over 3 weeks since they became top TTers
Landa already has a GT in his leg and has a terrible TT
Fuglsang looks great but may suffer the same fate as Roglic at the Giro..but not get a podium as his TT not the top
It is possible that Buchmann will be very high up on GC but GTs are not one week stage races. Konrad was 7th at the Giro last year but along way off the podium (8+ minutes)

BTW not that impressed with MAS as a Tour podium contender

HelloDolly said:
Broccolidwarf said:

I mean, seriously.

I do think alot of the riders listed above may not have top form so for me the Tour podium is wide open after an Ineos winner

Fuglsang looks great but may suffer the same fate as Roglic at the Giro..but not get a podium as his TT not the top
It is possible that Buchmann will be very high up on GC but GTs are not one week stage races. Konrad was 7th at the Giro last year but along way off the podium (8+ minutes)

A lot has to go wrong with a lot of people for Konrad to reach the podium. There is also Poels (should either Bernal or Thomas falter), there is also Buchman, Mollema, Zakarin, Martin. And then there are guys who haven't been in shape, but are intrinsically better riders like Kelderman, Gaudu, Latour...

Mas is certainly below expectations, but he isn't "bad" either. He's less than a minute down on Konrad, and chances are, in three weeks he'll easily outclimb Konrad.

HelloDolly said:
Broccolidwarf said:

I mean, seriously.

A lot has to go wrong with a lot of people for Konrad to reach the podium. There is also Poels (should either Bernal or Thomas falter), there is also Buchman, Mollema, Zakarin, Martin. And then there are guys who haven't been in shape, but are intrinsically better riders like Kelderman, Gaudu, Latour...

Mas is certainly below expectations, but he isn't "bad" either. He's less than a minute down on Konrad, and chances are, in three weeks he'll easily outclimb Konrad.
Add in Uran, Porte

Stage 9 being shown in it's entirety from 13.00 CET -

D9upZGSXkAAumAV.jpg:large

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
After 7th stage Jan Hirt said he had bettet legs than he could show. Positioning cost him as there was no way to get up front on the cobbles.

Probably he would be there witi Pozzovivo and Dennis.

Hirt's quite a strong climber as we saw on Rettenbachferner several years ago and he always peaks for the Tour of Switzerland! Wouldn't be surprised if he tries an attack today to get that podium spot from Konrad. Pozzovivo should be in the mix as well. Only lost so much time, because of a flat in the TT. Maybe even Spilak. Although the Slovenians condition hasn't been convincing so far.

Bernal's golden jersey should be save! So no reason for him to risk anything. Unless he wants to test himself with a major attack on Furka. Honestly, I don't think so. He took enough risks in yesterday's TT! Maybe the new kid on the block surprises and pleases us.

Question is whether Dennis who looked slightly tired yesterday already, holds on to his 2nd place. If he gets in trouble on the Furka or Sankt Gotthard already, there's a true fight for 2 podium spots going on.

Matthias Frank & Antwan Tolhoek for the stage win & the mountains jersey!?

Rohan Dennis has definitely lost something on the TT, at his peak he would have been 10 seconds faster in the first time trial and 30 seconds faster in the second.

With that said he would not have been in the GC mix, so there's definitely a trade-off.

I think he misses his old BMC bikes, the results speak for themselves.

If he finishes second that would be a fine result.

TRENDING THREADS