• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2019 UCI Road World Championships Men's Road Race : 284.5km

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He is cool as a cucumber :cool:

It's generally being reported as the Danish sports achievement of the year, and as having similar significance to the mens football Euro title in 1992 and mens handball gold medal in 2016.

Incidentally, Mads Pedersen is leading a new trend amongst danish pro riders (those not focused on climbing), in that he has moved back to Denmark and is doing all his training at home, as opposed to most pro riders living in Italy or Spain due to the weather.
Good for him. Many congratulations to him and to Denmark. Yes, you do have to look quite hard for the Danish hills but it does not seem to have done him any great harm on this course.

Many descendants are still there! The ending "gate" on Harrogate is indeed a Viking inheritance, so we are told.

The origin is the norse word "gat", which means "opening"

Today though, the word is only used for the rectal opening on some animals - fish for instance.

So the town "Kattegat" (and the sea north of Denmark it is named after) in the History Channel "Vikings" drama series, actually means "cats arse" :D

The origin is the norse word "gat", which means "opening"

Today though, the word is only used for the rectal opening on some animals - fish for instance.

So the town "Kattegat" (and the sea north of Denmark it is named after) in the History Channel "Vikings" drama series, actually means "cats arse" :D

Interesting and amusing. In East Anglia at least it may perhapps mean opening, but also indicates "street." I suppose that is not very far from the original meaning.

The Danish news channels and newspapers are transmitting live right now, from Mads Pedersen being received in Copenhagen Airport.

He is being interviewed just now, and said something I found interesting:

"When i raised my arms in jubilation just before the line, my legs started cramping up".

Talk about having given everything :eek:

Well… the way he collapsed after the finish was a pretty good indication.

Yeah, but imagine he had cramped up 50 meters sooner.

My point was, he managed his strength perfectly, to the line.

Not what you said, though. You just said it was a sign he'd given everything. We all saw the proof of that!

Something else; saw rerun on the finale (in English, not that it matters), and something I only noticed then was the repeated cries of "Move away!" as he was lying on the ground. Can't have the World Champion just lying there!

To my nowledge "gata" is derived from "gat", and is only commonplace in later norse languages like old norwegian and old swedish (and used for "street" in both modern version of the languages).

I am pretty sure though, that Harrogate would be translated as "stone opening" in old norse.
Cool, thanks. I was told it was "Viking" for street. Was probably at the Jorvik Viking Museum, will have to get them telt.

Wow, deserved surprise winner, congrats Mads! What a tough race! I thought Trentin had it, then again, I thought MVDP had it before he bonked.
As for the weather - the climate is changing, what used to be predictable months/years in advance is becoming unpredictable and that's going to affect cycling no matter where races are held.

Well, except quite predictable for Mads Pedersen doing well in heavy precipitation :D

A couple of things:
- Very entertaining race. It was clear in that moment that MVdP's attack, was THE move... I mean, you see that if they join the lead, that would be a hell of a well oiled TTT machine... Funny that Germans and French let the Belges hang out to dry (if that was possible with that weather), just to be against the wall themselves.

- For the Colombians: A very gutsy ride.
  • In a route that didn't help them at all (I mean it was the worst possible type. Colombia has climbers, has sprinters, but this type of riders no, not at all).
  • In a weather that they don't experience often.
  • With a stupid national DS who selects riders just by how well known they are.
  • Without the plan A (Gaviria in shape), and without the plan B (Uran).
Betancur and Martínez tried to make the last selection
Chaves was there until the mechanical
Hodeg, lasted far more than expected (not sure what would have happened if the 2 previous climbs were ridden).
Nairo made the most of his current shape by sacrificing himself in the BoD.
Only two "no shows": Seb Henao and Molano, but I don't know what happened to them.

- Finally, while I think that poster has been full on fanboyism, and made statements that don't hold any water at least since the crosswinds stage in Vuelta (and her last quote in Spanish made me wonder if she actually understands the language)... I do think that she has been respectful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
To my nowledge "gata" is derived from "gat", and is only commonplace in later norse languages like old norwegian and old swedish (and used for "street" in both modern version of the languages).

I am pretty sure though, that Harrogate would be translated as "stone opening" in old norse.
Old Norse gata has cognates in other languages: Gothic gatwo, German Gasse, Lithuanian gatvė (a loanword, but an old one). The Proto-Germanic word is reconstructed as *gatwǭ, meaning "street, lane".

Let it be known that the forum software wouldn't let me post Gothic letters, which is outrageous.

Last edited:
A couple of things:
- Very entertaining race. It was clear in that moment that MVdP's attack, was THE move... I mean, you see that if they join the lead, that would be a hell of a well oiled TTT machine... Funny that Germans and French let the Belges hang out to dry (if that was possible with that weather), just to be against the wall themselves.

- For the Colombians: A very gutsy ride.
  • In a route that didn't help them at all (I mean it was the worst possible type. Colombia has climbers, has sprinters, but this type of riders no, not at all).
  • In a weather that they don't experience often.
  • With a stupid national DS who selects riders just by who well known they are.
  • Without the plan A (Gaviria in shape), and without the plan B (Uran).
Betancur and Martínez tried to make the last selection
Chaves was there until the mechanical
Hodeg, lasted far more than expected (not sure what would have happened if the 2 previous climbs were ridden).
Nairo made the most of his current shape by sacrificing himself in the BoD.
Only two "no shows": Seb Henao and Molano, but I don't know what happened to them.

- Finally, while I think that poster has been full on fanboyism, and made statements that don't hold any water at least since the crosswinds stage in Vuelta (and her last quote in Spanish made me wonder if she actually understands the language)... I do think that she has been respectful.

Chaves is overdue for a change in luck. Betancur looked quite good. Hopefully Chaves can avoid illness and injury before the grand tours next season.

"I chose that it would go to the final sprint, but I was wrong. Never mind, that's how cycling is, and that's why it's nice, "
Nice quote from Sagan.
He just simply overestimated a lot of elite riders and their willingness to sacriface for team leaders. WCRR is so special race. Logic from WT classics often does not work here, And that is why this race is so special. For me the best race of the year.
Regarding the weather. If I want to see "primadonas" I switch to football, but I want to see the fighters on wheels.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
f64e841f39153ed7edecce211d9508f1.jpg
Damn spell check lol

Reactions: RedheadDane
So weve reacherld
That's why any time you get this type of weather you get a LOT of sick people. Happens every time. Also happens a lot in racing like his. Weather like this and you end up with sick riders. TdF 2015 had a bunch of riders who ended up sick after racing around Paris in the cold rain. A bunch who had to cancel after Tour races they had planned on going to.
That's why any time you get this type of weather you get a LOT of sick people. Happens every time. Also happens a lot in racing like his. Weather like this and you end up with sick riders. TdF 2015 had a bunch of riders who ended up sick after racing around Paris in the cold rain. A bunch who had to cancel after Tour races they had planned on going to.

So weve reached a new depth in humanity. People should be kept safe from a cold... Oh my dear....a cold.... You sound like someone who is a week ill at home because you got a bad cough.

Since when are people afraid to get an cold..

TRENDING THREADS