• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020...2021 Olympic Women's Road Race, Tokyo, 137 KM

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Honestly, what I could be worried about is that some people might use this whole sitation as a a "reason" to not show more women's racing. After all; "Why would anyone wanna see more of that????!!!" - Screamed all the haters.
However, what people forget is that when something similar happens in a men's race - whether it's underrestimating an attacker, miscounting how many were away, or a combination - people rightfully understand that it was an anomaly, and go on to watch the next race.

I am sorry but this is totally non-sense.

People like van Vleuten or Voss receive better sponsorship, salaries and equipment that 99.9% of the riders on earth (both men and women). You wouldnt see this type of hilarious schoolboy races even in rural Colombia among amateurs.

If you want to even-out the female peloton, how about taking 50% of the earnings of the rich white countries and give them to Zambia, Eritrea, Philippines, etc? This is not about fairness or competitiveness, it is about bringing woke politics into the sport. Fortunately , reality cannot be downvoted away.

People like van Vleuten or Voss receive better sponsorship, salaries and equipment that 99.9% of the riders on earth (both men and women). You wouldnt see this type of hilarious schoolboy races even in rural Colombia among amateurs.

If you want to even-out the female peloton, how about taking 50% of the earnings of the rich white countries and give them to Zambia, Eritrea, Philippines, etc? This is not about fairness or competitiveness, it is about bringing woke politics into the sport. Fortunately , reality cannot be downvoted away.

You sure you quoted the right person?

Reactions: RedheadDane

I wasn't talking about fairness. I was talking about the reaction of someone who's never watched a women's race before, thus unaware that usually... women's races aren't like this.

Kiesenhofer has been very popular over at PCS.

Rnk.RiderTodayYesterday▼▲
1KIESENHOFER Anna30338180▲30158
2VAN VLEUTEN Annemiek5251923▲4328
3CARAPAZ Richard295714439▼11482
4AYUSO Juan2920629▲2291
5LONGO BORGHINI Elisa2429723▲1706
6PLICHTA Anna2354310▲2044
7VAN AERT Wout22808076▼5796
8VAN DER BREGGEN Anna22311123▲1108
9SHAPIRA Omer2024322▲1702
10VOS Marianne1961872▲1089

Getting close to Mads P's record as the rider with the most views.
Classical case of "Now, who the *** is this?"

Sorry if someone made this same point: Seriously selfish internal politics among the Dutch at fault. That Vos knew the number of riders up the road and the others didn't was stupid. Not to communicate that would suggest that the politics of the day had the Dutch riders were working for individual outcomes. That the staff didn't place someone on the roadside at least to keep them aware is not excusable (if that happened). The Netherlands Olympic Committee should consider some sort of statement on behalf of Dutch fans.

Reactions: Sandisfan

I assume you're just being deliberately unpleasant and vindictive about women's cycling here. But we have seen on multiple occasions in men's racing riders celebrating too early and having a win taken from them - to the extent that there's even a thread on this forum about it, so apparently we do see this type of schoolboy behaviour even amongst elite male athletes. Even in the Giro D'Italia there was an instance where Egan Bernal didn't celebrate a stage win as he thought there were still riders ahead of him at the finish line.

The irony is that providing funding/development pathways/infrastructure in less developed nations would be immensely beneficial for cycling as a whole, but you seem to have a completely different agenda. If you become so riled up over this perhaps don't follow women's cycling and ignore it? It would also give everyone else the benefit of not having to deal with such obvious bad faith.

Or rather to use a Shirley Jackson quote: "If you don't like my peaches, don't shake my tree!"

I’ve suggested this before, but there really ought to be a lead car with a big sign on the back of it, at a constant 50m in front of the leader of the race. If you can see the car, you’re Tete de la Course. If you can’t, you ain’t.

It’s a simple measure that would avoid a lot of confusion.
Even more simple: set a timer at 50K, 40K, 30K, 20K and 10K from the finish that starts the moment the first rider passes.

Even more simple: set a timer at 50K, 40K, 30K, 20K and 10K from the finish that starts the moment the first rider passes.
Yup, that too. A digital clock hanging under the marker banners at each of the km signs (and maybe at significant KOMs, too) would be a pretty straightforward addition. Or even just a race steward with a stopwatch calling out times as they pass.

I think the main advantage of the car idea is that it can work at every race level, from a junior crit up. Every race everywhere has someone who at least has access to a moped that can ride out front.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volderke
I’ve suggested this before, but there really ought to be a lead car with a big sign on the back of it, at a constant 50m in front of the leader of the race. If you can see the car, you’re Tete de la Course. If you can’t, you ain’t.

It’s a simple measure that would avoid a lot of confusion.

There was a maroon/burgundy Lexus immediately behind the race leader, and every other support car was a white Toyota.

The robots on pedals that are today's riders would still need to be reminded through their earpice "look for the burgundy Lexus!"

you cant say Lexus, they are women, they dont know cars....eeeeeeey thank you ill be here all week

anyway sexist jokes aside, this race wasnt an indictment on womens cycling, it was on relationships between riders, because if Vos knew there is still one rider ahead why didnt she tell anyone? at no point did she think "all right we caught two, what now?"

before you start placing comically large balloon arrows pointing where to look to know the race situation, it would be worthwile examining if this wasnt caused simply by bad blood in Dutch team, or maybe not even bad blood just riding for yourself - in mens race even tho you can criticize Belgium tactics, you cannot question their commitment towards one rider

Outside of cycling circles I think - as on my local community board - it's just being seen as a huge victory for the underdog against the big and the smug. An anology would be someone like Halifax Town beating Manchester United in a cup final, and that wouldn't stop people watching or playing football.

I think this comes down to the stage of development the women's sport is at, feeling the need to prove itself as a serious sport, something people should spend their time and money on, especially in the face of doubters like those on this thread. If Manchester United's men lost to Halifax in a cup final that would be amazing, if the same happened for the women the sport would be a laughing stock.

I agree though that for people who don't follow cycling - most of the audience today, this is a great story. For those who follow men's cycling, maybe not so much.

you cant say Lexus, they are women, they dont know cars....eeeeeeey thank you ill be here all week

anyway sexist jokes aside, this race wasnt an indictment on womens cycling, it was on relationships between riders, because if Vos knew there is still one rider ahead why didnt she tell anyone? at no point did she think "all right we caught two, what now?"

before you start placing comically large balloon arrows pointing where to look to know the race situation, it would be worthwile examining if this wasnt caused simply by bad blood in Dutch team, or maybe not even bad blood just riding for yourself - in mens race even tho you can criticize Belgium tactics, you cannot question their commitment towards one rider
When you’re shopping for a new car for your wife, she knows the difference between a Lexus and a Toyota, Amirite?

Sexist jokes similarly aside, it’s not a comical balloon arrow to have a sign on the roadside saying “you are this many minutes behind,” or just a distinctive yellow (or pink, or red) placard identifying Moto 1. It’s a basic element of race situation that, again and again, we see not being communicated adequately to athletes in the race.

TRENDING THREADS