2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There are way too many hard mountain top finishes for my liking. I'd really prefer a simple sestriere finish over a finish on the Col Basset and I'd prefer a downhill finish or at least a Pordoi finish for the Fedaia stage (although then again if the stelvio stage is really the next day it's maybe better this way).
well, just today a local article wrote that the MTF to Fedaia is gonna be postponed to 2021, as they want to use the road to Sottoguda, which had been ravaged by the weather last year, and that's not gonna be reopened in time for next year.
I guess they'll fall back to the Nevegal idea, or maybe something else in the area.

well, just today a local article wrote that the MTF to Fedaia is gonna be postponed to 2021, as they want to use the road to Sottoguda, which had been ravaged by the weather last year, and that's not gonna be reopened in time for next year.
I guess they'll fall back to the Nevegal idea, or maybe something else in the area.
At this rate I don't expect to ever see the giro going over the Fedaia ever again....must have something to do with Fedaia stages usually being good.

At this rate I don't expect to ever see the giro going over the Fedaia ever again....must have something to do with Fedaia stages usually being good.
They know Fedaia makes you watch.

How would a Nevegal stage look? Nothing too crazy but a Cat 2 or 2 beforehand?

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2016
If Fedaia is gone, I hope these rumors of Rifugio Calvanico in southern Italy could be true (doubt it though).

By the way do we know the date of the official presentation yet?

More updates regarding week 1, it seems that stage 7 will finish in Camigliatello Silano, which means we have a very wide array of options to get there, ranging from "meh" to "awesome". If I had to bet, I would bet on the "meh" version ofc, unless the Etna is on stage 5 instead of 6, which is possible but unconfirmed. Stage 8 will be a flat stage finishing either in Ceglie or Brindisi, while stage 9 is confirmed to be a medium mountain stage ending in Vieste.

As for stage 16, we still don't know. Cortina (the town, not the rider...) will host the 2021 Alpine Ski WC, so I suspect they will at least pass there...

1 Budapest - Budapest ITT
2 Budapest - Gyor
3 Szekesfehervar - Nagykanisza
4 Palermo?Catania? - ???
5 Sicily 2
6 ??? - Etna
7 Mileto - Camigliatello Silano
8 Castrovillari - Ceglie Messapica OR Brindisi
9 Giovinazzo - Vieste
rest
10 ??? - Urbino
11 Cesenatico - Cesenatico
12 ??? - Spresiano?Castelfranco?Possagno?
13 Conegliano - Vidor ITT
14 Rivolto - San Daniele del Friuli
15 Udine - Matajur
rest
16 ??? - Nevegal?Cortina?Tre Cime??
17 ??? - Laghi di Cancano
18 Morbegno - Cassano Magnago?
19 Borgomanero - Verbania OR S.Domenico
20 Santhia - Col Basset? Fraiteve?
21 Milano - Milano ITT?

Sep 17, 2016
Tre Cime is not Fedaia but at least the scenery is equally amazing. Something good could also be done around Cortina. However if Nevegal just take the place of Fedaia....

The sequence of stage 9 through 11 looks interesting. If the Urbino-stage is more than just a punchur finish it could be three well made medium mountain stages.

ASK THE COMMUNITY