• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There are way too many hard mountain top finishes for my liking. I'd really prefer a simple sestriere finish over a finish on the Col Basset and I'd prefer a downhill finish or at least a Pordoi finish for the Fedaia stage (although then again if the stelvio stage is really the next day it's maybe better this way).
well, just today a local article wrote that the MTF to Fedaia is gonna be postponed to 2021, as they want to use the road to Sottoguda, which had been ravaged by the weather last year, and that's not gonna be reopened in time for next year.
I guess they'll fall back to the Nevegal idea, or maybe something else in the area.

well, just today a local article wrote that the MTF to Fedaia is gonna be postponed to 2021, as they want to use the road to Sottoguda, which had been ravaged by the weather last year, and that's not gonna be reopened in time for next year.
I guess they'll fall back to the Nevegal idea, or maybe something else in the area.
At this rate I don't expect to ever see the giro going over the Fedaia ever again....must have something to do with Fedaia stages usually being good.

At this rate I don't expect to ever see the giro going over the Fedaia ever again....must have something to do with Fedaia stages usually being good.
They know Fedaia makes you watch.

How would a Nevegal stage look? Nothing too crazy but a Cat 2 or 2 beforehand?

Last edited:
More updates regarding week 1, it seems that stage 7 will finish in Camigliatello Silano, which means we have a very wide array of options to get there, ranging from "meh" to "awesome". If I had to bet, I would bet on the "meh" version ofc, unless the Etna is on stage 5 instead of 6, which is possible but unconfirmed. Stage 8 will be a flat stage finishing either in Ceglie or Brindisi, while stage 9 is confirmed to be a medium mountain stage ending in Vieste.

As for stage 16, we still don't know. Cortina (the town, not the rider...) will host the 2021 Alpine Ski WC, so I suspect they will at least pass there...

1 Budapest - Budapest ITT
2 Budapest - Gyor
3 Szekesfehervar - Nagykanisza
4 Palermo?Catania? - ???
5 Sicily 2
6 ??? - Etna
7 Mileto - Camigliatello Silano
8 Castrovillari - Ceglie Messapica OR Brindisi
9 Giovinazzo - Vieste
rest
10 ??? - Urbino
11 Cesenatico - Cesenatico
12 ??? - Spresiano?Castelfranco?Possagno?
13 Conegliano - Vidor ITT
14 Rivolto - San Daniele del Friuli
15 Udine - Matajur
rest
16 ??? - Nevegal?Cortina?Tre Cime??
17 ??? - Laghi di Cancano
18 Morbegno - Cassano Magnago?
19 Borgomanero - Verbania OR S.Domenico
20 Santhia - Col Basset? Fraiteve?
21 Milano - Milano ITT?

Tre Cime is not Fedaia but at least the scenery is equally amazing. Something good could also be done around Cortina. However if Nevegal just take the place of Fedaia....

The sequence of stage 9 through 11 looks interesting. If the Urbino-stage is more than just a punchur finish it could be three well made medium mountain stages.

I have not written anything lately due to IRL workload, but also because the latest rumours have provided more questions than answers.
First of all, stage 10 is now rumoured to finish in Rimini, after a presumably flattish stage given the location. Stage 11 is confirmed to be a tribute to the Nove Colli, and stage 12 might start from Cervia.
As for stage 15, it seems that RCS does not think an MTF on Mataiur is feasible, so the stage might finish in Cividale and be similar (maybe a bit harder) to the 2016 version.
Still no news about stage 16.
Stage 19 is apparently NOT gonna finish in Verbania, nor anywhere in the region. It seems that the route will instead go south-west (Entracque back in the mix...?), and Bra might be the starting location of stage 20, the one which is still said to finish on top of Fraiteve after Finestre.

1 Budapest - Budapest ITT
2 Budapest - Gyor
3 Szekesfehervar - Nagykanisza
4 Palermo?Catania? - ???
5 Sicily 2
6 ??? - Etna
7 Mileto - Camigliatello Silano
8 Castrovillari - Ceglie Messapica OR Brindisi
9 Giovinazzo - Vieste
rest
10 Urbino? - Rimini
11 Cesenatico - Cesenatico
12 Cervia - Castelfranco?Possagno?
13 Conegliano - Vidor ITT
14 Rivolto - San Daniele del Friuli
15 Udine - Cividale
rest
16 ??? - Nevegal?Cortina?Tre Cime??
17 ??? - Laghi di Cancano
18 Morbegno - Cassano Magnago?
19 ??? - ???
20 Bra? - Col Basset OR Fraiteve
21 Milano - Milano ITT?

Last edited:
Reactions: yaco
1st week:

Looks interesting. The dream must be Etna on stage 5, something good on stage 7 and then a proper medium mountain stage to Vieste. Especially the latter needs to be good considering that otherwise the second weekend would be really dull (counting the start in Hungary as the first weekend).

2nd week:

As of now slightly disappointing. How selective can Nove Colli be? I assume we can't expect GC-action. The penultimate weekend is underwhelming. Muro Ragogna on a friday or as an appetizer yes - However on a saturday no! And now Matajur is substituted with Cividale. If I remember that stage from 2016 correctly it was a dull stalemate. Hope they make it a lot harder and more selective. Otherwise the entire race is stuffed together in the last week.

3rd week:

Potentially the four most difficult stages across all three Grand Tours could be here. Can't complain too much but would have preferred them spread out a bit more. Despite the early Etna-stage the route (as judged from Eshnars draft) looks really backloaded.

The official presentation is gonna happen on the 24th.
Meaning there are less than three weeks, and we still have almost no definite rumours for the final week.
Latest news (source the Cicloweb forum) is that the final week will be:

16 Mountain stage in Veneto (as already known, but still unclear exactly where)
17 Bassano del Grappa - Somewhere in Trentino (sources say this is going to be a soft stage, and the stage start would suggest that Nevegal could be the finish of stage 16)
18 ??? - Laghi di Cancano (Still unclear whether via Stelvio or somewhere else, according to the source)
19 Morbegno - Asti (flat)
20 ??? - Fraiteve (here the source says NO Finestre)
21 Milano ITT (~20-30 km)

Yesterday Beppe Conti stated that the stage to Fraiteve will pass through France, which would fit with the rumoured exclusion of Finestre...
Now I personally find hard to believe a mere passage through France, without a stage start or finish there, but since I dont have any alternative rumours Im gonna go ahead and say it. Agnello - Izoard - Montgenevre - Sestriere - Fraiteve.

Reactions: Red Rick
Your stage 20 would prolly get a brain aneurysm out of Vegni rather tham approval.

Suppose Umbrail or a Livigno loop wouldnt be in cause sources would mention a loop through Switserland?

Could go Gavia to make up for last year?

Overall think Ill end up Red Ricking this route

Your stage 20 would prolly get a brain aneurysm out of Vegni rather tham approval.

Suppose Umbrail or a Livigno loop wouldnt be in cause sources would mention a loop through Switserland?

Could go Gavia to make up for last year?

Overall think Ill end up Red Ricking this route
"my" stage 20 would be with Finestre.
This one is just the only reasonable possibility if we believe Finestre is out and they are going through France. Which, again, I don't believe much, but it is what it is.

I think the Gavia road is having landslide problems again, so I don't think so. I think Stelvio will be in, in the end. But if it's not, maybe they'll do some bs with Mortirolo south.

Yesterday Beppe Conti stated that the stage to Fraiteve will pass through France, which would fit with the rumoured exclusion of Finestre...
Now I personally find hard to believe a mere passage through France, without a stage start or finish there, but since I dont have any alternative rumours Im gonna go ahead and say it. Agnello - Izoard - Montgenevre - Sestriere - Fraiteve.

EGCV7NOX0AEAaYX

That'd be a joke after the Cuneo-Pinerolo of this year

Instead of the Gavia or Mortirolo shenanigans, can we simply have the Stelvio north for the Laghi di Cancano stage? That is literally one of the most famous mountain roads in the world, it's in a region that regularly features the giro and yet it hasn't been used as a climb (only as a descent) in 14 years. I just really want to see that side of the Stelvio climbed for once.

Instead of the Gavia or Mortirolo shenanigans, can we simply have the Stelvio north for the Laghi di Cancano stage? That is literally one of the most famous mountain roads in the world, it's in a region that regularly features the giro and yet it hasn't been used as a climb (only as a descent) in 14 years. I just really want to see that side of the Stelvio climbed for once.
I'd agree on the condition that you don't watch it live ;)

Id like it more with just Sestriere I think
I think the idea is to have a lot of elevation gain for the (supposed) queen stage so you need to put something else.

Just take away Agnello and Izoard (and use them properly in 2021) and replace them with Lombarde, Bonette and Vars moving the start at the foot of Lombarde to avoid 60 kms of flat at the start (will be around 220 kms so doable).

TRENDING THREADS