• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: 2020 Giro rumors thread

Eshnar said:
Then to the west Alps. Likely three mountain stages there. And we have at least four rumours: Fraiteve, San Domenico, Entracque (not sure I have any hope left for Fauniera...) and Verbania (this one might also not be a mountain stage, depends)

San Domenico is the small ski resort just south of the Swiss border?

And what could we expect with Fraiteve? A finish at Colle Basset?

OlavEH said:
Eshnar said:
Then to the west Alps. Likely three mountain stages there. And we have at least four rumours: Fraiteve, San Domenico, Entracque (not sure I have any hope left for Fauniera...) and Verbania (this one might also not be a mountain stage, depends)

And what could we expect with Fraiteve? A finish at Colle Basset?
yes and yes, probably.

OlavEH said:
Eshnar said:

Mara Abbott will win the stage, I promise.

kiszol said:
Max Rockatansky said:
Have there been any news about the 2020 route the past days? #roadtobudapest

All I know is that there is a good chance that the first stage will be similar to this year's, a short ITT with an uphill finish in Budapest with splendid views.

Along the embankments, over the Chain Bridge from Pest, turn right and uphill to the castle, finish over the cobbles and outside the Matyas Templom?

Eshnar said:
Didn't have time to post in this thread yet, so let's get to it.
First of all, it seems the first stage in Budapest might be similar to this year's, a prologue with an uphill finish.
After Hungary is still not clear if they are going to Sicily.
The alternative would be to go to Friuli, but if they do, then Sicily is definitely out of the whole route. Since they have a (preumably well-paid) deal for three stages and the Grande Partenza 2021, I don't think it's gonna happen. So let's assume Sicily is in. Three stages with an Etna MTF. After it, they will b-line towards the north. Maybe a stage to Sorrento before switching coast to the Adriatic.
Here they have multiple options. An ITT is rumoured involving Vasto and/or Ortona, and/or a MTF to Roccaraso.
In any case they will keep going north and likely have a copy of the Nove Colli in Cesenatico. From there, I think they are going east first.
There is a deal for at least 2 stages in Friuli. Lussari is out for now (surprise...), the candidates are a MTF on the Matajur (not all the way to the top though), a finish in Grado (maybe with some sterrato...?) and one in S.Daniele. In Veneto, one stage near Belluno is basically fixed, and there are also rumours of a MTF to Fedaia (providing also the money/motivation to fix the road in Sottoguda).
In Valtellina there is a strong rumour of a short ITT Sondrio - Teglio, which is probably gonna happen at the beginning of the third week. Then to the west Alps. Likely three mountain stages there. And we have at least four rumours: Fraiteve, San Domenico, Entracque (not sure I have any hope left for Fauniera...) and Verbania (this one might also not be a mountain stage, depends)

Hello there, I have a couple of questions.

Concerning Matajur: When you say they won't go all the way up - Where exactly do they stop? (at what height)
The ITT between Sondrio and Teglio: Is this classified as an MTT or just hilly ITT?

Kyllingen86 said:
Hello there, I have a couple of questions.

Concerning Matajur: When you say they won't go all the way up - Where exactly do they stop? (at what height)
The ITT between Sondrio and Teglio: Is this classified as an MTT or just hilly ITT?
I checked again and I messed up - the Matajur rumour says the finish would be at the Rifugio Pelizzo, which is at the top of the road (1320m). I remembered it differently :eek:

The ITT will be just a hilly ITT. The finish will probably be uphill but that doesn't make it a MTT.

Re:

roundabout said:
Sondrio - Teglio ITT sounds terribly pointless unless there is a proper length actually flat one before
there should be another one in the Adriatic (can't guarantee it will have a "proper length" though....). The Sondrio one is not even gonna reach 30 km of length according to rumours.

Thanks Eshnar!

Well if the rumours hold up as usual with your predictions we can hope for a monster stage including Fedaia, two monster stages in the Western Alps and perhaps also a monsterstage with that Rifugio Pelizzo-stage. As usual the Appennines look meager and as usual the route will become a bit more "human" than I dreamt of ;). Nonetheless I will keep dreaming through the summer.

Eshnar said:
The alternative would be to go to Friuli, but if they do, then Sicily is definitely out of the whole route. Since they have a (preumably well-paid) deal for three stages and the Grande Partenza 2021, I don't think it's gonna happen. So let's assume Sicily is in. Three stages with an Etna MTF.

UCI released the WT calendar for next year. On this first version the Giro is scheduled for a start on Saturday. This would rule out a transfer to Sicily, because you can't realize Sicily without an early rest day.

So why not make this Giro a special edition: Budapest to Palermo.

The crying will be immense. :lol:

Max Rockatansky said:
Eshnar said:
The alternative would be to go to Friuli, but if they do, then Sicily is definitely out of the whole route. Since they have a (preumably well-paid) deal for three stages and the Grande Partenza 2021, I don't think it's gonna happen. So let's assume Sicily is in. Three stages with an Etna MTF.

UCI released the WT calendar for next year. On this first version the Giro is scheduled for a start on Saturday. This would rule out a transfer to Sicily, because you can't realize Sicily without an early rest day.

So why not make this Giro a special edition: Budapest to Palermo.

The crying will be immense. :lol:

Speaking of immense crying, there are some articles appearing about a Hungary-Sicily transfer without a rest day

Yeah that is a certainty. THe Hungarian organizers requested that the first should take place on Saturday (May the 9th) instead of Friday as they wouldn't be able to use the same route on a Friday than the one they selected for next year. It's a good and spectacular route btw for the first stage.
However this means that the race starts one day later than usual and thus it doesn't have the luxury of an additional rest day. So right after the third stage they will fly to Sicily (the finish of the stage is near to an airport). The 4th stage will be a short and probably an uninteresting one which start only at 2 pm so the transfer should be possible without a rest day. It will be tough for the riders for sure!

Stage one could have been drawn up by the Bp tourist office, indeed I and Jacques Jr correctly judged where they might put the finale to that stage (it is stage 1, not a prologue, isn’t it?). There will be tram tracks to cover on the Pest side then a very sharp turn, I’d have thought, after the climb up from Clark Adam ter, and then possibly cobbles before the finish.

I think we start to have enough for a first draft.
After Hungary, overnight transfer to Sicily with three stages, including a MTF to Etna.
After that, they will get to the mainland, maybe starting from Mileto, and then b-line north towards the Adriatic, perhaps with a stop in Sorrento in between. I think they'll be in Roccaraso (or thereabouts) by the second Sunday, and then have a rest. Second week might start with an ITT in the Marche region, then a stage along the Nove Colli in Cesenatico, followed by a transitional day heading to Friuli, where there will be 2 stages: the first to San Daniele, mostly flat but with one or more passages on the Muro di Ragogna near the end, while the second will be a MTF on Matajur, probably happening on the third Saturday. It should be followed by the Dolomitic stage, wherever that is going to finish (should be in the Belluno province). After the final rest, there will be at least one stage in Valtellina. Strong rumours about a finish on Lake Cancano (after Gavia or Stelvio) or Livigno (again, after Gavia or Stelvio). Then there was also the rumour about a short ITT to Teglio, which I don't think is gonna happen if the first rumour is to be trusted, but it's technically possible.
After those, they will go to Verbania or surroundings, and have the final two MTFs to San Domenico and Sestriere/Basset?/Fraiteve?? via Finestre. Finale in Milan, could also be ITT.

1 Budapest - Budapest ITT
2 Budapest - Gyor
3 Szekesfehervar - Nagykanisza
4 Sicily
5 Sicily 2
6 ??? - Etna
7 Mileto - ???
8 ??? - Sorrento
9 ??? - Roccaraso/Aremogna
rest
10 Urbino? ITT
11 Cesenatico - Cesenatico
12 ??? - ???
13 Rivolto - San Daniele del Friuli
14 Udine - Matajur
15 ??? - Fedaia?Nevegal?Others?
rest
16 ??? - Cancano?/Livigno?
17 Teglio? ITT (or a transitional stage)
18 ??? - Verbania?
19 Verbania - San Domenico
20 ??? - Sestriere/Basset?/Fraiteve??
21 Milano - Milano ITT?

Eshnar said:
I think we start to have enough for a first draft.
After Hungary, overnight transfer to Sicily with three stages, including a MTF to Etna.
After that, they will get to the mainland, maybe starting from Mileto, and then b-line north towards the Adriatic, perhaps with a stop in Sorrento in between. I think they'll be in Roccaraso (or thereabouts) by the second Sunday, and then have a rest. Second week might start with an ITT in the Marche region, then a stage along the Nove Colli in Cesenatico, followed by a transitional day heading to Friuli, where there will be 2 stages: the first to San Daniele, mostly flat but with one or more passages on the Muro di Ragogna near the end, while the second will be a MTF on Matajur, probably happening on the third Saturday. It should be followed by the Dolomitic stage, wherever that is going to finish (should be in the Belluno province). After the final rest, there will be at least one stage in Valtellina. Strong rumours about a finish on Lake Cancano (after Gavia or Stelvio) or Livigno (again, after Gavia or Stelvio). Then there was also the rumour about a short ITT to Teglio, which I don't think is gonna happen if the first rumour is to be trusted, but it's technically possible.
After those, they will go to Verbania or surroundings, and have the final two MTFs to San Domenico and Sestriere/Basset?/Fraiteve?? via Finestre. Finale in Milan, could also be ITT.

1 Budapest - Budapest ITT
2 Budapest - Gyor
3 Szekesfehervar - Nagykanisza
4 Sicily
5 Sicily 2
6 ??? - Etna
7 Mileto - ???
8 ??? - Sorrento
9 ??? - Roccaraso/Aremogna
rest
10 Urbino? ITT
11 Cesenatico - Cesenatico
12 ??? - ???
13 Rivolto - San Daniele del Friuli
14 Udine - Matajur
15 ??? - Fedaia?Nevegal?Others?
rest
16 ??? - Cancano?/Livigno?
17 Teglio? ITT (or a transitional stage)
18 ??? - Verbania?
19 Verbania - San Domenico
20 ??? - Sestriere/Basset?/Fraiteve??
21 Milano - Milano ITT?

Even with the TDF (Tour de Forbidden Race) full blowing this is arguably the most interesting thread :)
As usually I have a few questions.

I assume stage 2-3 in Hungary are going to be flat. But what about Sicily? Could one of them be hilly or what are the rumors concerning those stages?

A bit disappointed about Roccaraso. With all the opportunities within the Appennines, I don't understand why Roccaraso is so overused. I assume this rumor is pretty solid but could there at least be a couple of challenges before Roccaraso? Or is the option with a unipolar finish the most obvious?

Concerning Fedaia I just hope it is in. They don't have to finish on it as a MTF. As long as it is included, I would be estatic.

What about the stage to Verbania? Is the nature of the rumor still blurry? Concerning whether it could be another mountain stage or just a flat transitional stage.

Concerning the finish I guess the Entraque-rumor from earlier is out (or with low possiblity). Finestre-Fraiteve could be epic. If it is just Sestriere or Fort Jafferau, it would increase the possiblity of action on Finestre but on the other hand a combo seen a bit too often in recent years. Fraiteve/Basset would be innovative and new.

TRENDING THREADS