• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I totally get why one would complain about a Fedaia MTF, it's the worst way to use such an awesome climb durning the final part of the stage.
I guess the Veneto region is paying for the stage and wants to have the finish in that region. They could go Fedaia-Pordoi with a downhill finish in Arabba (after 34 hairpins), but maybe they want to have the whole stage in the Veneto region, who knows...
I expect to see the Giau before Fedaia because of the Alpine Skiing WC in Cortina in 2021.
The Urbino stage has the potential to be an interesting medium mountain stage.

I totally get why one would complain about a Fedaia MTF, it's the worst way to use such an awesome climb durning the final part of the stage.
I guess the Veneto region is paying for the stage and wants to have the finish in that region. They could go Fedaia-Pordoi with a downhill finish in Arabba (after 34 hairpins), but maybe they want to have the whole stage in the Veneto region, who knows...
I expect to see the Giau before Fedaia because of the Alpine Skiing WC in Cortina in 2021.
The Urbino stage has the potential to be an interesting medium mountain stage.
Duran-Staulanza-Falzarego-Giau-Fedaia LETS GOOOOO

I'm just asking to get disappointed at this point

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
So I just read this and here they claim they would actually ride almost the whole climb.
Can't imagine that being true but if it is this might be the most insane TT in gt history
Absolutely love the idea, to be honest.

It's some time since the Giro d'Italia had its last proper mtt up to Mount Grappa!

Etna is kinda dull as repetitive first week mtf also. Apart from 2011 with Contador & Rujano attacking there doesn't happen too much, although 2018 was decent!

They've done gravel climbs like Finestre multiple times and they've done the Kronplatz mtt with gravel sections also!

So I don't know why it shouldn't be possible to do a 27 kilometers Etna mtt, when every rider gets up alone! A simple mtf probably is too dangerous.

If Bernal rides the Giro d'Italia it doesn't matter anyway, whether his show starts on day 6 already. When Dumoulin goes too though, when it's between a tt'er (Kruijswijk) and Carapaz, or between 2 climbers like Carapaz & Bardet it's only helpful to let the battle start on Etna already!

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Absolutely love the idea, to be honest.

It's some time since the Giro d'Italia had its last proper mtt up to Mount Grappa!

Etna is kinda dull as repetitive first week mtf also. Apart from 2011 with Contador & Rujano attacking there doesn't happen too much, although 2018 was decent!

They've done gravel climbs like Finestre multiple times and they've done the Kronplatz mtt with gravel sections also!

So I don't know why it shouldn't be possible to do a 27 kilometers Etna mtt, when every rider gets up alone! A simple mtf probably is too dangerous.

If Bernal rides the Giro d'Italia it doesn't matter anyway, whether his show starts on day 6 already. When Dumoulin goes too though, when it's between a tt'er (Kruijswijk) and Carapaz, or between 2 climbers like Carapaz & Bardet it's only helpful to let the battle start on Etna already!
The problem is you don't want your GC decided after day 6, which is a serious risk if you make a TT like that. Gaps will be minutes stacked upon minutes.

The problem is you don't want your GC decided after day 6, which is a serious risk if you make a TT like that. Gaps will be minutes stacked upon minutes.
My point is that if there's one superior rider, it doesn't matter whether he's upright after day 6 or day 15! But the battle for 2nd - 10 th has already started, with riders forced to attack and gain time. Also it minimizes the effects of mediocre riders defending their 5th spot as long as possible before blowing apart. Simply because they already got a harsh knockout on Etna.

This potentially creates proper racing right from the start, which could also affect the superior at best with attacks going left and right.

It makes peaking difficult as well. Because you need to be sharp already at the start of the Giro d'Italia and still need be sharp at the end of course. Even with a rather easy early second week, it makes building-up more difficult and maintaining shape more stressful.

I would absolutely recommend Vegni to try this move. Especially because the Tour de France never has tried this clear separation of high mountain stages in the Alps & Pyrenees recently!

Reactions: Noddy97
so put 21 flat stages, they will be close in the final stage... 2011 giro was probably the best designed route I have ever seen but contador won the race before even the zoncolan (stage 14) but this shouldn't worry the organizers because their job is to create a good route and they can't thinking one rider will dominate the race.
The giro is known by putting a MTT more than the others gt's and this is creating excitment on me so I want to see this TT with no teams controlling the race.

My point is that if there's one superior rider, it doesn't matter whether he's upright after day 6 or day 15! But the battle for 2nd - 10 th has already started, with riders forced to attack and gain time. Also it minimizes the effects of mediocre riders defending their 5th spot as long as possible before blowing apart. Simply because they already got a harsh knockout on Etna.

This potentially creates proper racing right from the start, which could also affect the superior at best with attacks going left and right.

It makes peaking difficult as well. Because you need to be sharp already at the start of the Giro d'Italia and still need be sharp at the end of course. Even with a rather easy early second week, it makes building-up more difficult and maintaining shape more stressful.

I would absolutely recommend Vegni to try this move. Especially because the Tour de France never has tried this clear separation of high mountain stages in the Alps & Pyrenees recently!
so put 21 flat stages, they will be close in the final stage... 2011 giro was probably the best designed route I have ever seen but contador won the race before even the zoncolan (stage 14) but this shouldn't worry the organizers because their job is to create a good route and they can't thinking one rider will dominate the race.
The giro is known by putting a MTT more than the others gt's and this is creating excitment on me so I want to see this TT with no teams controlling the race.
Problem isn't to have gaps early. The problem is to have a single stage that is gonna have unprecedented gaps on day 6 of the race.

Having an MTT in the first week is actually an interesting idea. But it shouldn't be a 2 hour MTT lol.

Find a better climb to do it.

Generally the best place for the hardest MTF is around stage 13/14/15 imo.

Nibali isn't convinced by the 2800m Etna rumour, he thinks that the surface is too difficult for a road bike to go up because, in his own words, you 'sink' as you go up. Walking up it you do get this feeling and Nibali has been up etna countless times, I personally agree with him.

Reactions: Red Rick
I doubt that it would be decided though, given that the winner of such a tough MTT may have peaked too early. The last couple of tough mountain stages are still two weeks later. Having such a tough stage in week one would make it a genuine three week race.

On another note, I am waiting with baited breath for LS' thoughts on using FEDAIA!!! as a MTF :)

Nibali isn't convinced by the 2800m Etna rumour, he thinks that the surface is too difficult for a road bike to go up because, in his own words, you 'sink' as you go up. Walking up it you do get this feeling and Nibali has been up etna countless times, I personally agree with him.
Mount Etna is where Nibali's gods live, and no mortal man may put a road bike on it's summit.

Some more updates. In the latest days the rumour that the Fedaia MTF would happen on stage 16, with Matajur on stage 15, has become increasingly strong. This means that it's possible to start after the first rest day in Campania, as it was rumoured, and then go towards the Adriatic without having to design 300+ km long stages. In Campania, Sant'Agata dei Goti has been rumoured recently, while Sorrento is quite an old rumour but it could fit as a stage start. The second weekend will be mainly near the coast, with strong rumours for Francavilla and Ortona, on Saturday, and Civitanova Marche or sorroundings on Sunday. I can only assume these two will be TA-type stages and I'm pretty happy with that.
Now, if Fedaia is on Tuesday, and on Wednesday Cancano looks confirmed, then stage 18 HAS to be flattish. So the previously rumoured final sequence can't be right. Either Verbania or S.Domenico will have a stage finish, and a tough one, but it will be on stage 19, just before the final mountain stage towards Col Basset (I don't think Fraiteve will be in...).

1 Budapest - Budapest ITT
2 Budapest - Gyor
3 Szekesfehervar - Nagykanisza
4 Sicily
5 Sicily 2
6 ??? - Etna
rest
7 Sorrento? - S.Agata dei Goti
8 ??? -Francavilla al Mare OR Ortona
9 ??? - Civitanova Marche?
10 Foligno - Urbino
11 Cesenatico - Cesenatico
12 ??? - Spresiano?Castelfranco?Possagno?
13 Conegliano - Vidor ITT
14 Rivolto - San Daniele del Friuli
15 Udine - Matajur
rest
16 ??? - Fedaia
17 ??? - Laghi di Cancano
18 Morbegno - Cassano Magnago?
19 ??? - Verbania OR S.Domenico
20 Borgomanero? - Col Basset? Fraiteve?
21 Milano - Milano ITT?

Last edited:
  • Love
Yes, 8-9 could be nice T-A stages, fingers crossed. The Urbino stage has the potential to be a nice medium mountain stage and the fact that you have the Stelvio tappone on the next day is the only reason why a Fedaia MTF wouldn't be that bad (the rumours mention Giau before Fedaia).
A good Verbiana stage before the big final and it looks like a really solid route with hard mountains and enough kms of ITT.

• Love
new updates...
in the last couple of days multiple local sources have claimed that, after Sicily, the race will restart in Calabria , and then go towards Puglia. This is very different from our previous picture, but since the sources agreeing on this have been quite a few, let's believe this. I tend to believe the Cesenatico stage is basically fixed as stage 11, so that means that in just one rest day and one road stage, the peloton has to go from the Gargano peninsula (where stage 9 is rumoured to finish), to Cesenatico itself. So scrap the previously predicted couple of TA stages.... there will be one, and it's probably the Urbino one.

1 Budapest - Budapest ITT
2 Budapest - Gyor
3 Szekesfehervar - Nagykanisza
4 Palermo? - ???
5 Sicily 2
6 ??? - Etna
7 Mileto - Somewhere near Cosenza
8 ??? - Ceglie Messapica
9 ??? - Vieste
rest
10 ??? - Urbino
11 Cesenatico - Cesenatico
12 ??? - Spresiano?Castelfranco?Possagno?
13 Conegliano - Vidor ITT
14 Rivolto - San Daniele del Friuli
15 Udine - Matajur
rest
16 ??? - Fedaia
17 ??? - Laghi di Cancano
18 Morbegno - Cassano Magnago?
19 Borgomanero? - Verbania OR S.Domenico
20 Santhia? - Col Basset? Fraiteve?
21 Milano - Milano ITT?

There are way too many hard mountain top finishes for my liking. I'd really prefer a simple sestriere finish over a finish on the Col Basset and I'd prefer a downhill finish or at least a Pordoi finish for the Fedaia stage (although then again if the stelvio stage is really the next day it's maybe better this way).

TRENDING THREADS