• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Giro Route Rumors

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Can't imagine Nibali will like this much. Almost looks set up for a battle between G and Dumoulin. Nah, can't be.
G is pretty much July tard as far as stage races are concerned.

Nibali may simply be all in on Olympics and Worlds next year, I can see a small chance of Dumoulin doing Nibali's schedule of 2016 or something.

Anyway, scheduling is all really weird next year.

Reactions: 18-Valve. (pithy)
why 3 stages? The S.Daniele stage is gonna have Ragogna a few times but that's hardly a 5* stage...
And no, ofc Campiglio is not confirmed. Nothing is.
Yes, but a MTF on the next day would have a negative impact on a hilly stage that has the potential to be great.
I don't mind Piancavallo after an ITT, the Friuli stage would have been better, but another MTF before the 3rd week isn't bad news.

local article mentions 33 km of length for stage 14 ITT.
It will pass through Ca' del Poggio but given the length I don't think they have room to put any other climb.

edit: also, the Abruzzo stage should be San Salvo - Tortoreto Lido

Last edited:
Another local article today confirms Piancavallo and states that the S.Daniele stage will also include three climbs that were supposed to be in the scrapped stage of Cividale, before the previously mentioned 4x Muro di Ragogna. The article also says it will be the longest stage of the Giro, and that the route after it will also include Stelvio, Agnello, etc....
Talking about the Stelvio, word on the street is that it's gonna be in, so I'll take this article as a confirmation. Even though we should always be wary of local articles saying anything about the "rest of the route".

It seems the only question marks left are in Sicily, which is ironic if we think those are the stages that have been known to exist since around one year... We have not heard anything about them lately, so for the moment I'll put the Etna on stage 5, since it would make much more sense given what stage 7 is supposed to be.

1 Budapest - Budapest ITT
2 Budapest - Gyor
3 Szekesfehervar - Nagykanisza
4 Palermo?Catania? - ???
5 ??? - Etna
6 Capo d'Orlando? - ???
7 Mileto - Camigliatello Silano
8 Castrovillari - Ceglie Messapica OR Brindisi
9 Giovinazzo - Vieste
rest
10 S.Salvo - Tortoreto Lido
11 ??? - Rimini
12 Cesenatico - Cesenatico
13 Cervia - Monselice
14 Conegliano - Valdobbiadene ITT
15 Rivolto - Piancavallo
rest
16 Udine - S.Daniele del Friuli
17 Bassano del Grappa - Madonna di Campiglio
18 Pinzolo - Laghi di Cancano
19 Morbegno - Asti
20 Alba - Fraiteve
21 Cernusco sul Naviglio - Milano ITT

some potentially really great stages, although the route seems very backloaded again.

14 Conegliano - Valdobbiadene ITT
15 Rivolto - Piancavallo
rest
16 Udine - S.Daniele del Friuli
19 Morbegno - Asti
20 Alba - Fraiteve
21 Cernusco sul Naviglio - Milano ITT

Except for the Etna stage, all decisive stage are from stage 14 on.

Depending on which climbs will be on the route those 2 stages has the potential to be really great with possibilities for attacks from far out. Madonna di Campiglio is a rather light climb, but preceded by monte bondone and daone and some smaller climbs are really hard stage. Stelvia-Cancano combinations looks brilliant as well.

20 Alba - Fraiteve

Most rumors says Agnello-Izoard-Montgenevre-Fraiteve, isn't it? I don't know about the stage desing for this one (a finish just in sestriere will probably be better for the race), but it will be hard.

well yeah, it's backloaded just as much as the usual Giro. It shouldn't be a surprise tbh.
If S.Daniele is as hard as the article said, I doubt Madonna di Campiglio is gonna be loaded. I would expect nothing more than the 2015 version.
The stage to Cancano should have Campo Carlo Magno, Castrin (or alternatively Palade), Stelvio and the final climb.
And of course I agree, finishing on Sestriere would be much better, but even so that stage is good enough for me.

yes, I agree, the rumoured stages looks could. Although, not a particular fan of stages with one HC climb at the finish, Piancavallo is that kind of climb that fits to be in a one-climb stage. That stage to S.Daniele is full of smaller steep climbs (if true). Stage to Stelvio look perfect for some action on the Stelvio itself and the stage to Fraiteve is going to be really really hard for modern standards so late in the race (I guess the the total number of altitude is not that exceptional, but the combo Agnello-Izoard is brutal, Montgenevre is not special but decent and the finish is really steep, with almost no flat in between. Are they really going to finish on the top? Or is there still the possibility they finish lower? There will be no monte bonone in the the stage to Madonna di Campiglio in your opinion?

I just fear San Daniele will be absolutely wasted before two hard mountain stages. This will be exactly like Cividale in 2016, where nobody dared to attack from far out just before two crucial stages.
Aside from that, I really like some things here. I'm a huge fan of the Lago di Cancano idea, I'm not actually that sad they have a rather weak mtf in Madonna before that, as a harder one would scare riders even more on stage 16 and generally, I don't want too many mtf's. Piancavallo is also a relatively good finish for stage 15.
Stage 20 I have mixed feelings about. If it's really, Agnello, Izoard, Montgenevre and Fraiteve it's an absolute monster stage, but the order of the climb doesn't fit all that well. I fear there won't be any long range attacks, as Izoard and Agnello are really far from the finish, while Montgenevre isn't that hard, but the gaps on the final climb could still be enormous.

Reactions: Red Rick

Depending on which climbs will be on the route those 2 stages has the potential to be really great with possibilities for attacks from far out. Madonna di Campiglio is a rather light climb, but preceded by monte bondone and daone and some smaller climbs are really hard stage. Stelvia-Cancano combinations looks brilliant as well.

20 Alba - Fraiteve

Most rumors says Agnello-Izoard-Montgenevre-Fraiteve, isn't it? I don't know about the stage desing for this one (a finish just in sestriere will probably be better for the race), but it will be hard.

The main concern here is the height of Stelvio and Agnello. If they are unlucky with the weather, these two are out, and you're left with possibly the worst Giro route in recent history.

Yes, Madonna could really ruin the San Daniele stage, a breakaway stage to Pinzolo would actually be the better option.

I'm kinda sceptical about Agnello and Izoard and there's a reason. The stage won't finish in France or start there, so RCS or Sestriere (the town hosting the stage finish) would have to pay the French extra money to open those passes earlier than usual.

Fraiteve is an unpaved climb, right? If yes, then the altitude could be a problem, it's around 500m higher than Finestre, so there should be a lot of snow on the side of the road and melting snow could make the whole road really muddy and hard to ride on a roadbike. There is also the danger of the water freezing over the night at that altitude, so there could even be a mixed surface with a bit of frozen mud near the top. It wouldn't surprise me if they'll be forced to cancel the MTF and use Sestriere instead.

Yes, Madonna could really ruin the San Daniele stage, a breakaway stage to Pinzolo would actually be the better option.

I'm kinda sceptical about Agnello and Izoard and there's a reason. The stage won't finish in France or start there, so RCS or Sestriere (the town hosting the stage finish) would have to pay the French extra money to open those passes earlier than usual.

Fraiteve is an unpaved climb, right? If yes, then the altitude could be a problem, it's around 500m higher than Finestre, so there should be a lot of snow on the side of the road and melting snow could make the whole road really muddy and hard to ride on a roadbike. There is also the danger of the water freezing over the night at that altitude, so there could even be a mixed surface with a bit of frozen mud near the top. It wouldn't surprise me if they'll be forced to cancel the MTF and use Sestriere instead.
If it's Agnel/Izoard/Montegenevre I like Sestriere much more as a finish anyway

Lololol.

Didn't we have a looot of rumors about Alpe d'Huez at one point? It ended up being Galibier MTF from the north IIRC which almost completely snowed away
Yeah, that was rather pointless.
If it was up to me there would only be 4/5 places in France that the Giro should even consider as a stage finish:
-Saint Veran as an easier uphill finish after the Agnello from the hard side.
-Val d'Isere/Tignes from South, coming from Susa
-Briancon because it's Briancon
-maybe Chamonix from Aosta via GSB and Switzerland.

TRENDING THREADS