• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Milan-Sanremo - 305k - August 8th

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will be the winner of Milano Sanremo 2020?

• Total voters
Ewan did finish 2nd at MSR in 2018. I'd give him a much better shot at winning than Gilbert. These days, others are better at what Gilbert would need for a win
Aye, but Démare has won the race and also finished ahead of Ewan a few days ago. I don’t see why so many folks are putting Ewan in the top tier without at least having Démare in there too? (Obviously, people haves their favs, but still. . . )

Aye, but Démare has won the race and also finished ahead of Ewan a few days ago. I don’t see why so many folks are putting Ewan in the top tier without at least having Démare in there too? (Obviously, people haves their favs, but still. . . )
The only reason Démare was able to sprint for victory that year was because he hang onto the car. Ewan has more chance to survive the Cipressa and the Poggio in a legit way than him.

Ewan did finish 2nd at MSR in 2018. I'd give him a much better shot at winning than Gilbert. These days, others are better at what Gilbert would need for a win
Ewan won the bunch sprint for 2nd but he could never follow Nibali's move on the Poggio. Or the moves that won the race the year before and after.

I just think the new course, coupled with smaller teams, will make it even harder again than the last 3 years to deliver a (relatively) fresh Ewan (or Gaviria, Demare, Bennett etc) to the Via Roma for a gallop. I think this year will be decided by a small (<15 riders) group, and an experienced classics rider with strong elbows and a nose for the right moves in the final 20km (like Gilbert) will be more likely to be in the front selection at the finish.

The only reason Démare was able to sprint for victory that year was because he hang onto the car. Ewan has more chance to survive the Cipressa and the Poggio in a legit way than him.
Wasn't he only "hanging onto the car" after a crash or mechanical around the Cipressa? He wasn't actually dropped, and I think given Demarre's palmares he has a stronger case for being the guy who can survive under pressure on late climbs than Ewan has.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Ewan won the bunch sprint for 2nd but he could never follow Nibali's move on the Poggio. Or the moves that won the race the year before and after.

I just think the new course, coupled with smaller teams, will make it even harder again than the last 3 years to deliver a (relatively) fresh Ewan (or Gaviria, Demare, Bennett etc) to the Via Roma for a gallop. I think this year will be decided by a small (<15 riders) group, and an experienced classics rider with strong elbows and a nose for the right moves in the final 20km (like Gilbert) will be more likely to be in the front selection at the finish.
I tend to agree with you but I don't give 2020 Gilbert any chance of winning from a small group knowing who's likely to be there. If it does come down to a bunch sprint, Ewan has a really good shot. He's smaller than the other bunch sprinters and he'll likely be there if any of them are.

I tend to agree with you but I don't give 2020 Gilbert any chance of winning from a small group knowing who's likely to be there. If it does come down to a bunch sprint, Ewan has a really good shot. He's smaller than the other bunch sprinters and he'll likely be there if any of them are.
That doesn't really make him a better climber. He didn't finish a GT until last year.

The big problem for Ewan is the current hybrid of sprinter/puncheur/classics riders who will likely form a group over the Poggio.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm not even sure Gilbert has enough climbing legs for the Poggio anymore
He won a hilly stage and a long fast stage in the Vuelta last year, and we haven't seen much of him this year.

I think he's very much an outsider for the win, but if the race starts to break up on the Cipressa, or even before on the descent of the Nava, which will be long and fast, I think Gilbert has a better chance of staying with the front of the race than Ewan.

Unless, of course, Ewan just bolts himself to Gilbert's wheel for the whole final 50km, which would be another perfectly valid tactic.

That doesn't really make him a better climber. He didn't finish a GT until last year.

The big problem for Ewan is the current hybrid of sprinter/puncheur/classics riders who will likely form a group over the Poggio.
No, but he's proven can do a short, sharp climb quite well. He won't be there if it's a small group but if any of the real sprinters are there (barring Sagan) he'll likely be there as well.

Final route for tomorrow, 305 km.

ee1xj50xgaanve9.png

• Love
Reactions: Red Rick
Mar 23, 2019
Visit site
As much as I would love Sagan to finally win a Milan san remo. I just don’t think it will happen. I think if he won 2013 then he would off added another win here but he always seems to have 2013 in his mind. 2016 could have good if he wasn’t tangled in a crash. Maybe he needs some luck tomorrow...

The easiest race to ride maybe the hardest to win....

It’s also the only monument nobody has won three years in a row...

Reactions: SHAD0W93

TRENDING THREADS