• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Milan-Sanremo - 305k - August 8th

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will be the winner of Milano Sanremo 2020?

• Total voters
Ammatiporaly (spelling) said the same. That said, doubt it has any influence on the outcome. I can't see the sprinter teams being able to control the madness given there's only 6 riders per team.
I think the same thing. That said, the peloton size due to more teams might mitigate that somewhat. But I don't really have a reference for the wind in previous editions, though be might go by climbing times, etc.

Maybe the big influence will be more teams rather than smaller teams.

There's also the thing that everyone aways waits for the last stretch to go, which probably means the tempo until then is high but the elastic isn't really snapped. Nibali actually went halfway when he won. I don't know if domestiques drill the first half of the Poggio hard enough.

Depends on the year and who's there. Dumoulin strung the whole field out for Matthews in 2017, but then when he sat up it just set up Sagan's attack.

Bling finished 12th.

I see it's a late evening finish for this one as well. Will this be another part of the new normal for 2020? I realize they couldn't have a 6.30 pm finish in March. Presumably as this gets later in the season and the evenings get shorter, they'll revert to more traditional finish times?
This is awesome for folks on the US west coast—I don’t have to be up at 5:00am just the catch the last 1.5 hrs of a race (or even earlier if I want to see more of the race).

Reactions: Sandisfan
I have a feeling that between the route changes, the heat, and the 6 man teams we will have a race similar to 2009 with a good size bunch sprint.

If not, I see a similar situation to 2011 with one of the more versatile sprinters being able to hold a group of attackers and outsprint them.

He is in another race right now, never did MSR before and when you are sponsored by an Italian company, riding the biggest Italian one day race and having in the team a recent winner which happens to be Italian, I don't think Mads should have a place in the team.

Makes no sense to me.

The route is pretty similar to worlds, in many respects, and many of the odds on favorites, are guys he beat in the finale at worlds.

I know he is at another race, my point is he should not have been.

Well, MVDP sees WVA, C. Ewan, and Sagan as the favorites - showing the usual humility he seems to possess. Reminds me of Senna in that respect. My guess is he goes into this race hyper-motivated given the circumstances. If he has anywhere near his top level form, he'll do something spectacular.

Surprised by how few people are backing Bennett, the guy has shown he's willing to leave the peloton instead of just waiting in the wheels and if you can't shake him off on the poggio, he's a sure bet to win the sprint from a small bunch
We're sticking to MSR protocol of mentioning the eventual winner as little as possible beforehand, if at all.

He is in another race right now, never did MSR before and when you are sponsored by an Italian company, riding the biggest Italian one day race and having in the team a recent winner which happens to be Italian, I don't think Mads should have a place in the team.
They could have used him as a back-up option. They can't possibly finish it off with this team if Nibali doesn't ride everybody off his wheel (or gets a lot of leeway)

TRENDING THREADS