• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Milan-Sanremo - 305k - August 8th

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will be the winner of Milano Sanremo 2020?

• Total voters
Can we stop calling MSR the “Sprinters’ classic” or “one for the purists” now? For the 3rd time in 4 years it’s been won by the winner of Strade Bianche, and the other time it was won by a multiple GT winner. And it’s been pretty consistently the most exciting finish of all the monuments the last few seasons, with the winner in question right to the line.

Can we stop calling MSR the “Sprinters’ classic” or “one for the purists” now? For the 3rd time in 4 years it’s been won by the winner of Strade Bianche, and the other time it was won by a multiple GT winner. And it’s been pretty consistently the most exciting finish of all the monuments the last few seasons, with the winner in question right to the line.
The excitement only starts with 6km to go. Peak excitement for the less duration, I would say.

The excitement only starts with 6km to go. Peak excitement for the less duration, I would say.
Well I guess that is where the “purist” element does come in, because those attacks on the Cipressa definitely ended up being relevant to how the race finished, not to mention the work Quickstep were doing to keep the pace high. It’s a balanced meal; it has the nourishment of the long build up, but also the sugar rush of the rapid fire finale.

Mar 23, 2019
Visit site
My first 3 hour long race. Could feel the excitement building the last 40-20km. TheN full gas up to the Poggio. Great end to a race and a worthy winner. I thought more people would follow when Alaphilippe attacked. Great action and some descending skills by both guys. My favourite race I would love to be at one day on via Rome. Will Wout be able to tick the Milan san remo. Flanders and Paris Roubaix crown? The last rider was Cancellara.

The cool of van Aert stood out today! Favorites were sprinting and rushing for kilometers to be in a good position for the Poggio, moving to the front, overtaken, moving back to the front etc. He just stayed back saving energy and staying “relaxed” until they tackled the climb. When Alaphilippe attacked he didn’t break, kept him at a short distance and kept his cool in the descent. When he joined him, he didn’t immediately take over forcing Alaphilippe to push extra im order for the bunch not to real them in. End finally in the end, he was forced into 1st position, but didn’t panic, didn’t speed up and didn’t go too soon. That’s how you win a race!
and such a joy to watch these two riders battle it out! Riders who always make the race and don’t hold back. Riders with true sportsmanship too.
Loulou will have some fun in the Tour.

My first 3 hour long race. Could feel the excitement building the last 40-20km. TheN full gas up to the Poggio. Great end to a race and a worthy winner. I thought more people would follow when Alaphilippe attacked. Great action and some descending skills by both guys. My favourite race I would love to be at one day on via Rome. Will Wout be able to tick the Milan san remo. Flanders and Paris Roubaix crown? The last rider was Cancellara.
He's in poleposition now i guess. I think it's inevitable for him to win at Roubaix at least once. You would assume he 'd win Flanders as well, but there are riders the fit that race better than him (Mathieu for one).

He has to be a contender for Lombardia next week, if he rides it.

TRENDING THREADS