• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Milan-Sanremo - 305k - August 8th

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will be the winner of Milano Sanremo 2020?

• Total voters
And here is the head to head data for the CN forum experts.
Cross: MVDP 84-35 vs. WVA.
Road: MVDP 14-6 vs. WVA.
MTB: MVDP 0-0 vs. WVA.
Total: 88-41
Important point here.
Kinda reminds me on how many people here favor Bernal over Sagan for the tour although in last years edition their head to head was a close 10-10. But unfortunately the CN forum experts are again gonna ignore the FACTS!!!
Deserves a bump.

Reactions: Wvv
Van Aert is the first born Belgian to win it since Fons De Wolf in 1981. Of course there was Tchmil in 1999.

Meanwhile Sagan gets his sixth top 4 place.

Wout show him how to won like favourite. Despite his 4th place he seems of form. He was nowhere to be seen. I really thought he was dropped until I saw him in bunch 2 km to go. He is still decent but after his TDF crash he lacks 5% to be amongst the strongest in races which suits him.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Can we stop calling MSR the “Sprinters’ classic” or “one for the purists” now? For the 3rd time in 4 years it’s been won by the winner of Strade Bianche, and the other time it was won by a multiple GT winner. And it’s been pretty consistently the most exciting finish of all the monuments the last few seasons, with the winner in question right to the line.

I've been saying this for years. Milan San Remo always delivers. Even if it's a sprint it's still *** exciting.

Best race on the calender again and again.

Reactions: Bye Bye Bicycle
Mar 23, 2019
Visit site
That’s for sure.... I am totally new to watching cycling races and understanding gaps . Breakaways etc. I was wondering if Milan san remo is just a negative race as Nobady can get away too far? Like Sagan and Bettiol in Flanders? And the Poggio is just a springboard to attack make a gap and hold it to via Rome? Why is the point the same when allaphillipe Attacked last year? Is that just the point off balance between a climber and sprinter? The decent also?

It always makes for a great Watching like Nibali 2018. If anybody could give me any answers to some who loves the Milan san remo history. But doesn’t quite understand the racing moves yet. What size chainrings you they use for san remo since it’s so flat?

Thanks.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
Oss was remarkably detrimental to Sagan.

What was the point of burying himself under the Poggio-Cipressa transition cesspit?
So that others would have to chase Oss, and Sagan could just follow wheels, which he’s very, very good at.
Wout show him how to won like favourite. Despite his 4th place he seems of form. He was nowhere to be seen. I really thought he was dropped until I saw him in bunch 2 km to go. He is still decent but after his TDF crash he lacks 5% to be amongst the strongest in races which suits him.
VanAert didn’t do much different to what Sagan did in 2017. Make the move on the Poggio, descend like a madman, take your pills even when the others in the escape stop, keep the speed up enough to hold the chasers off, and be unafraid to lead out the sprint. The only difference was Kwiatkowski making the bridge.

Sagan might still have a San Remo win in him.

Reactions: Sandisfan
After the rim brake bike already proved to be superior in the gravel race last week, we could witness their superior stopping power and control on the descent of the Poggio today...
In the future we should always be careful not to praise Jumbo-Visma too quickly when they obviously have a significant technological advantage with their Bianchis over more archaic manufacturers like Specialized.

Another tremendous performance by WVA. Another nice day for you Logic - as you are clearly a WVA fan,. Well-deserved winner, although AP may have been the strongest guy in the race to be able to get back to the front and force the finale. Obviously things are not going so well for MVDP in this crazy year. The covid deal really screwed up his multi-discipine plans (number one goal was Olympic MTB Gold) and it seems like he's just a bit off - mentally and physically. That finish was tailor made for him today, and on form he tracks down AP and wins, or attacks himself and wins. He's the ultimate winner though, and my money is on him winning Flanders and Roubaix.

Poggio > Alpe d'Huez.

And early action is not anything. Milano Sanremo is a supposed to be a loooong slow burner culminating in the last 7 k. Not appreciating the slow build up is like not liking one of the greatest aspect of cycling.

I prefer it being raced on the Ligurian coast with the Passo del Turchino but I love the idea of it being always 300km+ long. It worked well and the new climbs were a great addition to the race.

If van der Poel indeed said that I'm even happier it was van Aert and Alaphilippe in the finale. God, can't that guy lose? Or he really underestimated van Aert and Ala so much, then he's just disrespectful.

Ok, so because a guy miscalculates in his first ever MSR participation, he's disrespectful?
Not exactly the first rider to make excuses to to keep selfconfidence either, if that's the case here.

So that others would have to chase Oss, and Sagan could just follow wheels, which he’s very, very good at.

VanAert didn’t do much different to what Sagan did in 2017. Make the move on the Poggio, descend like a madman, take your pills even when the others in the escape stop, keep the speed up enough to hold the chasers off, and be unafraid to lead out the sprint. The only difference was Kwiatkowski making the bridge.

Sagan might still have a San Remo win in him.

He was doing what everybody told him here to do, to be invisible all race, to rely on that race goes to sprint, and to try to beat everybody there. And actually he did a great job there.

All sprinters were gone, just the power of peloton was not good enough to catch those 2 on the finish line. He is simply not good enough yet (or anymore) to follow Alaf in Poggio.

The difference to Bergen is that Bergen Sagan would be able to help peloton to catch those two as Alaf descanting was awful and they were catchable.

Unfortunately, we will not see Sagan in an important one-day race anymore this year, so we will not be able to tell whether this kind of Sagan is due to his preparation timing or he is already worn out and we should use on the fact that he is not first-tier favorite for SB, MSR, GW, RVV, PR anymore. Is he worn out only mentally (motivation to kill yourselves in winter preparation although having an 8 digit number in account) or also physically. For this answer, we will have to wait for next season as he will be pretty good at GT short stages that are good for his explosive power. ( + the fact that two fastest sprinters are gone and one is in his team)

As for OSS I hoped to see the moves like this from him in cobbles but have never seen yet. This was really not necessary. Nowadays nobody is able to escape peloton before Poggio. It is just a waste of energy. (we will have to wait for Remco in few years :))

Ok, so because a guy miscalculates in his first ever MSR participation, he's disrespectful?
Not exactly the first rider to make excuses to to keep selfconfidence either, if that's the case here.

Maybe he miscalculated. But if the top favourite (who has an enormous engine) and the winner of the previous year (who made the decisive move on exactly this climb) go, I'd go, too, if I had the legs.

Maybe he miscalculated. But if the top favourite (who has an enormous engine) and the winner of the previous year (who made the decisive move on exactly this climb) go, I'd go, too, if I had the legs.
Yeah, that would be a no-brainer. I didn't watch the move from JA, so don't know where MVP was positioned, but he looked very attentive and eager on the downhill/run-in, so didn't seem particularly "bad-legged" at that time.

TRENDING THREADS