• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Milano-Torino - August 5th / Mont Ventoux Dénivelé Challenge - August 6th

One for the sprinters, one for the climbers. Didn't look like there would be threads for these so I decided to combine them to prevent discussion for both being pushed to the lesser known races thread.

Milano-Torino - 198k

Normally, this is the final Lombardia tune up and is super exciting but since it's preceding MSR this year they've neutered the course and made it one for the sprinters. This year's winner will likely look a little odd with this group of previous winners:

2019 WOODS Michael
2018 PINOT Thibaut
2017 URÁN Rigoberto
2016 LÓPEZ Miguel Ángel
2015 ROSA Diego
2014 CARUSO Giampaolo
2013 ULISSI Diego
2012 CONTADOR Alberto
2007 DI LUCA Danilo
2006 ASTARLOA Igor

milano-torino-2020-result-profile-cc0c820817.jpg

Startlist

I figure it's got to be a bunch sprint or at least a small bunch sprint so in light of that I'd say the top contenders are:

Ewan
Bouhanni
Van der Poel
Sagan
Mareczko
Démare
Bennett
Gaviria
Moschetti
Kristoff
Van Aert
Naesen
Cimolai
Van Poppel

Mont Ventoux Dénivelé Challenge - 179k

Last year was the 1st edition for this race that finishes up Mont Ventoux.

mont-ventoux-denivele-challenge-2020-profile-80caf6b434.jpg

Startlist

Herrada was the 2019 winner but this year's field is substantially better. Some possible contenders:

Quintana
Porte
Bardet (out due to crash)
Aru
Lopez
Vlasov
Maduoas
Ciccone
Herrada
G Martin
Latour
Dombrowski
Taaramäe
Elissonde

Last edited:
My big questions:

In the former, will the peloton stay together for a big bunch sprint or will some of the more attacking sprinters try to force a selection?

For the latter, is Nairo's knee healed? After him, mostly looks like a bunch of guys who were just off the pace in Burgos and Occitanie or who haven't raced at all since the restart.

When I saw the start list of M-T I wondered what all those sprinters were doing there. I think I've got it by now.

****Bennett, Ewan, Gaviria, Kristoff
***Van der Poel, Van Aert, Sagan, Démare
**Bouhanni, Naesen, D. Van Poppel, Modolo, Felline
*Gilbert, Visconti, Aranbaru, Cimolai, Moschetti, Mareczko

Last edited:
Pretty straightforward race today, will be a mass sprint. I think it will be between Bennett, Ewan and Gaviria. Curious to see if Moschetti has recovered from his injury and waiting for Sagan to show some form before MS.

In France, I think Quintana will be hard to beat if he has recovered. Bardet was not sure to start, let's see.

The Ventoux is a race I have been hoping to be created for years and years. Would be even better if it can grow quickly in status like Strade Bianche and be viewed as near monument standing attracting all the best climbers to target it.

In future would love it to have another couple of big Cat 1 climbs and resemble a Grand Tour queen stage.

The Ventoux is a race I have been hoping to be created for years and years. Would be even better if it can grow quickly in status like Strade Bianche and be viewed as near monument standing attracting all the best climbers to target it.

In future would love it to have another couple of big Cat 1 climbs and resemble a Grand Tour queen stage.

I honestly don't think the riders particularly enjoy such a race. It becomes a bit too much like running and other lesser aerobic disciplines. Only very, very few riders can aspire to a victory in a one-day race finishing on an all-deciding mountaintop.

Another thing: There aren't other big mountains in the vicinity, so there cannot be category 1 mountains before.

Reactions: Red Rick
I honestly don't think the riders particularly enjoy such a race. It becomes a bit too much like running and other lesser aerobic disciplines. Only very, very few riders can aspire to a victory in a one-day race finishing on an all-deciding mountaintop.
Yeah.

I don't mind the race, but it shouldn't get a big status. In fact, I think one day races are the perfect format to use the craziest climbs in the world rather than Grand Tours, where they just make them super imbalanced

TRENDING THREADS