• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 National Championships

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Slovenia is relatively small country, but lately competition for broadcasting sport events is getting fierce. More or less private networks broadcast sport today. National TV does broadcast TDF and the commentary is great.
I think they handled this rather poorly. There were many more interesting options for all parties, than charging 5 euro for a stream of a national race with only a handful of WT riders.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
What i believe happened is they sold the rights to the highest bidder, this is only speculation. I personally would expect for such race to happen on national TV. I just checked and indeed broadcast will be made available on Tržič TV and as a paid stream, commentary will be made in Slovenian. Whoever will pay for the stream option will likely have access to watch a replay of the race. But note that i don't know that for sure, i got that impression when doing some basic research.

What i believe happened is they sold the rights to the highest bidder, this is only speculation. I personally would expect for such race to happen on national TV. I just checked and indeed broadcast will be made available on Tržič TV and as a paid stream, commentary will be made in Slovenian. Whoever will pay for the stream option will likely have access to watch a replay of the race. But note that i don't know that for sure, i got that impression when doing some basic research.
I'm sure that's close to the truth, but that's not really the point. Personally i won't be paying €5 for an NC with a dozen WT riders, when it likely won't even feature a commentator in any language i understand. It feels like a shakedown, like they're taking advantage of the situation. They could just as easily have contacted a few sponsors and turn a profit on advertisements in the stream, maybe even contact whatever department of tourism there is in Slovenia, or stakeholders from the touristic sector and made more money. Cycling fans worldwide would happily have tuned in, and would all have watched the beautiful sceneries, and maybe Slovenian cycling would have been promoted a bit more across the world as well. Now, they will make some money on a few thousands of streams. Realistically, how many will still be interested in it, not only having to pay, but also having to go through the hastle of making an account, and paying online? A pity imho.

I'm sure that's close to the truth, but that's not really the point. Personally i won't be paying €5 for an NC with a dozen WT riders, when it likely won't even feature a commentator in any language i understand. It feels like a shakedown, like they're taking advantage of the situation. They could just as easily have contacted a few sponsors and turn a profit on advertisements in the stream, maybe even contact whatever department of tourism there is in Slovenia, or stakeholders from the touristic sector and made more money. Cycling fans worldwide would happily have tuned in, and would all have watched the beautiful sceneries, and maybe Slovenian cycling would have been promoted a bit more across the world as well. Now, they will make some money on a few thousands of streams. Realistically, how many will still be interested in it, not only having to pay, but also having to go through the hastle of making an account, and paying online? A pity imho.

Not sure why they couldn't have sold foreign rights to Eurosport or something.

Reactions: hayneplane
Just "ordered" my live stream from video2go.live , PayPal says the money goes to the Cycling Association of Slovenia, the orgganizers of this event, so I'm not too bummed about it, especially in these times when there is nothing to watch. Luckily I could just enter a non existing phone number, and got my login info via email.

Ie5LOOi.png

And now we wait (until 2PM):

yxWmqBA.png

TRENDING THREADS