• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Tour Colombia 2.1 - February 11-16

Date: 2020-02-11 - 2020-02-16
Race class: 2.1
Race category: Men Elite
UCI-Tour: America Tour
Total distance: 878.5 km

startlist:

Competing teams
1Team INEOS (Bernal, Carapaz)
2UAE-Team Emirates (Henao, Aru)
3Deceuninck - Quick Step (Alaphilippe, Jungels)
4Movistar Team (Betancur, Sepúlveda)
5EF Pro Cycling (Urán, van Garderen)
6Israel Start-Up Nation (Ávila, Schelling)
7Androni Giocattoli - Sidermec (Restrepo, Pellaud)
8Vini Zabù - KTM (van Empel, Stojnić)
9Team Novo Nordisk (Peron, Lozano)
10Uno-X Norwegian Development Team (Andersen, Hvideberg)
11Rally Cycling (Brown, Britton)
12Agrupacion Virgen De Fatima (Naranjo, Juarez)
13Canel's Pro Cycling (Santos, Alarcón)
14Efapel (Brandão, Fonte)
15Team Illuminate (Torres, Castiblanco)
16Amore & Vita - Prodir (Appollonio, Bogdanovics)
17Team Medellin (Sevilla, Duarte)
18Colombia Tierra de Atletas - GW Bicicletas (Atapuma, Aguirre)
19EPM - Scott (Suarez, Montaña)
20Equipe Continental Orgullo Paisa (Chaparro, Osorio)
21Equipo Continental Supergiros (Pedraza, Suaza)
22Bardiani-CSF-Faizanè (Benfatto, Filosi)
23Colombia (Chaves, Sierra)
24Brazil (Rangel Costa, Ferreira Guimarães)
25Russia (Sveshnikov, Novikov)
26Ecuador (Guamá, Navarrete)
27Venezuela (Rujano, Alarcon)

stage 1: Tunja - Tunja - 16.7km TTT
colombia2020stage1.jpg

stage 2: Paipa - Duitama - 152km
colombia2020stage2.jpg

stage 3: Paipa - Sogamoso - 178km
colombia2020stage3.jpg

stage 4: Paipa - Santa Rosa de Viterbo - 169km
colombia2020stage4.jpg

stage 5: Paipa - Zipaquirá - 181km
colombia2020stage5.jpg

stage 6: Zipaquirá - Alto Verjón - 183km
IMG]

Last edited:
Few stages where the hills are disappointingly frontloaded. If this comes down to just TTT and MTF that would be disappointing.

Honestly gonna pay attention how the guys that ride here will do in the rest of the year, especially March/April.

So Deceuninck for the prologue, Hodeg vs Molano for the three sprints (maybe McCabe too?), a punchy type for stage 4 and then Colombian battle royal on Verjon.

Would be cool to see one of the Colombian neos or Flores to be in the mix. And of course Aru breaking his bike while grinding out his suffer face.

Thanks for creating the thread.

I am also disappointing at the route. Especially this being Colombia, Boyaca, the cradle of so many cyclists. However, they do it so that the Europeans don't have problems with the altitude. With that respect the organization could be right because imagine putting hard mountains plus the altitude. It would be extremely hard for February.

Having said that I don't see as many international teams with Europeans as expected. So probably could have done something a bit harder.

I won't complain anymore and expect to see a great race. Whoever wins the TTT will be in the driving seat. I expect someone from Ineos or EF to win the overall.

Yeah, I think the altitude and it being early in the season is key factors here. Multiple mountains and high alitude would make this one of the hardest races in the world. This sets it up so all the best Colombians are there and they all can battle it out on the last stage. In front of the fans.

Reactions: Red Rick
Yeah, I think the altitude and it being early in the season is key factors here. Multiple mountains and high alitude would make this one of the hardest races in the world. This sets it up so all the best Colombians are there and they all can battle it out on the last stage. In front of the fans.
I think the correct way to use the altitude is by making medium mountain stages where the final 20-30km is hard enough for action. No need for crazy mountains. This MTF is pretty fine, and with the altitude it should get big gaps if they shred the peloton on the 20km before the final climb.

Also, the TTT is at 2700m with a significant climb, I fully expect some weird results there.

I think the correct way to use the altitude is by making medium mountain stages where the final 20-30km is hard enough for action. No need for crazy mountains. This MTF is pretty fine, and with the altitude it should get big gaps if they shred the peloton on the 20km before the final climb.

Also, the TTT is at 2700m with a significant climb, I fully expect some weird results there.
Also, for the love of all that is Querer es Poder, nuke TTT, and put in 25ish km of ITT.

Reactions: JosephK
For the TTT I think the favorites are EF and QS.

The favorites for the win are Higuita or Martinez. In this sort race the TTT weights too much for the outcome of the race.
Bernal is the favorite for the overall for me, despite the TTT. Rivera (4th in the nationals) and Carapaz are decent TTers. I think INEOS will do okay.

Would have been better if Sosa was still in the line-up, though, as I think form matters more than TT ability in this one ...as well as the ability to perform at high altitude.

current times

Rally Cycling
19.01​
Team Medellin
19.25​
Uno X Norwegian Dev Team
19.34​
Seleccion Colombia Andina
19.36​
Team Illuminate
19.43​
Colombia Tierra de Atletas GW