• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Tour de France route rumors

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Did people just ignore the Alps this year?

If the route sucks that much they'll just frigging bury Alaphilippe as early as the Turini.

Not to mention I'm gonna drown kittens if the Tour truly makes a route like that and people tell me how the Tour is the biggest race in the world.

The others SHOULD bury Alap on the Turini. Ineos could send Froome up the road, force the others to chase and then let Bernal have fun on the final climbs

The others SHOULD bury Alap on the Turini. Ineos could send Froome up the road, force the others to chase and then let Bernal have fun on the final climbs
If Alaphilippe prepares well for the Tour and find his climbing legs from this year, there is no way in hell that he will be dropped on Turini (at least dropped so much that he will not come back downhill). It will be the second stage, everyone will have fresh legs and if there opens small gaps there is no way he’s gonna be the only GC-man dropped, which means there will be mutual interest in bringing it back.
It should be possible to put some pressure on Alaphilippe at Turini, but bury him? No way

Reactions: Sestriere
not sure if this is based on recent info, but...

View: https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1179654948663025664

"According to Cyclingweekly one idea for #TDF2020 is to repeat again Tignes and Val Thorens stages canceled / shortened in 2019 edition. In this case alpe d'Huez won't be featured in the route."

12:10 AM - 3 Oct 2019
Yes, there is probably a clause in the contract between ASO and the towns that allows them to repeat the stages for less money or to get a part of the money back if the stage gets canceled because of vis major.

L'Est Républicain has learned of flurry of hotel bookings in Belfort on July 17 and 18, leading to speculation that La Planche des Belles Filles will make a rapid return to the parcours. Furthermore, the newspaper suggests that the stage may take the form of an individual time trial or between 16 and 25km in length.

:rolleyes:

not sure if this is based on recent info, but...

View: https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1179654948663025664

"According to Cyclingweekly one idea for #TDF2020 is to repeat again Tignes and Val Thorens stages canceled / shortened in 2019 edition. In this case alpe d'Huez won't be featured in the route."

12:10 AM - 3 Oct 2019

Tignes is okay, especially if they add some more than just Iseran first. Mont Cenis would be an obivious option.

Val Thorens is a big no-no. If they absolutely have to use a MTF from the Tarentaise Valley, it should be Valmorel preceeded by Madeleine and Chaussy/Glandon. Probably the best (and only?) way to make Madeleine relevant in mountain stage.

Tignes is okay, especially if they add some more than just Iseran first. Mont Cenis would be an obivious option.

Val Thorens is a big no-no. If they absolutely have to use a MTF from the Tarentaise Valley, it should be Valmorel preceeded by Madeleine and Chaussy/Glandon. Probably the best (and only?) way to make Madeleine relevant in mountain stage.
*** all that

Rosael from Moutiers > Iseran > Tignes in one stage.

Winner winner chicken dinner

*** all that

Rosael from Moutiers > Iseran > Tignes in one stage.

Winner winner chicken dinner

Rosael looks like a goat track. No way that ASO will spend a lot of money to upgrade this to a descent condition.

Guess the best one could hope for is Galibier-Iseran-Tignes. By ASO standards, this would be a top stage!

I would like to see them use some of the steeper Alps climbs in a suitable distance from the stage finish. Climbs like Luitel, Granier, Coq or Jura climbs like Mont du Chat, Grand Colombier, etc. A stage profile somewhat similar to the Sappada stage in the 2018 Giro.

How about THAT stage from 2010?

L'Est Républicain has learned of flurry of hotel bookings in Belfort on July 17 and 18, leading to speculation that La Planche des Belles Filles will make a rapid return to the parcours. Furthermore, the newspaper suggests that the stage may take the form of an individual time trial or between 16 and 25km in length.

:rolleyes:
Well, I actually rather watch that than a regular MTF. Now watch ASO claim this Tour is one for the allrounders after not including more time trials.

Rosael looks like a goat track. No way that ASO will spend a lot of money to upgrade this to a descent condition.

Guess the best one could hope for is Galibier-Iseran-Tignes. By ASO standards, this would be a top stage!

I would like to see them use some of the steeper Alps climbs in a suitable distance from the stage finish. Climbs like Luitel, Granier, Coq or Jura climbs like Mont du Chat, Grand Colombier, etc. A stage profile somewhat similar to the Sappada stage in the 2018 Giro.
Col du Rosael is just me drifting off into fantasy land, although I do believe it's pretty okay for an MTB track.

But nevermind that, the Tour has shown plenty of times they love to ignore their best options and they love the most useless gimmicks. I just hope they pick the right MTFs and design a few other good mountain stages by accident.

How about THAT stage from 2010?

Well, I actually rather watch that than a regular MTF. Now watch ASO claim this Tour is one for the allrounders after not including more time trials.
I generally love that way of using the really big climbs like the Madeleine. It worked in 2010 with Monte Grappa as well and they didn't even put anything before it. Can do it with plenty of climbs. Just don't make the flat afterwards too long. Especially if the lead in is long I think it can be great racing, like the Port de Bales stage of 2014.

I'm also not saying to strictly use them as uniclimb stages, but I think it's a nice way of enabling pretty far out action without making riders too scared of the overall hardness of the race.

TRENDING THREADS