• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Tour de France route rumors

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think there will be no Alpe d'Huez next year

more something like this:

13. Chatel-Guyon - Puy Mary (1) (hard medium mountain GC stage ~160km)
14. Clermont-Ferrand - Lyon
15 Lyon?? - Villard-de-Lans (probably a minor GC stage, a few medium mountains + hill top finish, I guess) (mont noir??)

restday

.16. Grenoble - Col de la Loze from Méribel (HC) (mountain top finish) (Madeleine)
.17. Brides les Bains - La Roche-sur-Foron (via Plateau des Glières) (downhil)
.18. ? - Grand Colombier (mountain top finish)

.19 ? - Champagnole ...breakaway and/or semi sprinters' stage
.20. Lure - La Planche des Belles Filles ITT
.21 Paris

sources: Velowire and Gruppetto
You're probably right. I was under the impression that ledauphine.com had confirmed the Alpe d'Huez stage ...but they haven't. Phew.

I think the Alpe d'Huez rumor is based on an old one. I saw someone mention it on Le Gruppetto ages ago.

Fingers crossed as I would MUCH prefer to see a Grand Colombier MTF instead.

The Tour is always looking at how they can present the route in a fresh way. I had a wild idea that would pay direct homage to its past.

I was thinking in 2024 they could recreate the same route they raced in 1984 where Laurent Fignon won and Bernard Hinault was second.

Everything would be modern (bikes, radios, etc) except for the route. I think it would be awesome to compare the two eras and how they handle the course.

Some people saying that there might be only one (mountain) stage in the Pyrenees. But what stage would they put on the second Sunday then? A TT? It would make sense. They tend to put decisive stages on weekends. But again, just rumour and speculation.

Some people saying that there might be only one (mountain) stage in the Pyrenees. But what stage would they put on the second Sunday then? A TT? It would make sense. They tend to put decisive stages on weekends. But again, just rumour and speculation.

Right now there are 7 or 8 rumoured mountain stages depending on if there are 1 or 2 stages in the Pyrenees. And only 3 in the Alps and 1 or 2 in the Pyrenees in the high mountains. That isn't really that many. I will be really disappointed if we don't see a Pyrenean stage on the second sunday.

latest rumours from one of the members from velowire, second pyrenees stage will be in department 64 start in orthez and finish at chalets d'iraty or st jean de port, with some bask cols. I almost cannot believe how many (medium) mountain stages are predicted now. Probably some stages will be 'lighter' than theoretically would be possible. Clearly lacking some flat ITT half way the race according to current rumours.

2nd stage Nice
Orcieres-Merlette
Mont Aigoual
1st stage pyrenees to Loudenvielle
2nd stage in the pyrenees
mountain top finish pas de Peyrol
villard-de-lans
Meribel - col de la Loze
the stage with plateau des glieres
grand colombier
MTT planche des belles filles

and then we already know that the first stage in Nice will be a sprint, but at least with some hills, so no 180 men together, and it seems difficult to avoid at least some difficulties in the stages to Privas, Sarran and Champagnole. Also theoratically stages to Sisteron and Lyon could have a spicy final, but that is clearly not going to happen with the current set-up of the race.

latest rumours from one of the members from velowire, second pyrenees stage will be in department 64 start in orthez and finish at chalets d'iraty or st jean de port, with some bask cols.

This could be awesome, probably won't. But let me suggest this stage i designed a few years ago:

My starting point, Mauleon-Licharre, is some 40 km south of Orthez.

Great news: Col de la Lusette is in (Mont Aigoual stage)

Denis Bouad est aussi revenu sur le Tour de France 2020, qui passera cette année encore par le Gard, il a détaillé un peu le parcours : "Une étape qui partira d’Ardèche avec une arrivée prévue sur le Mont-Aigoual, et je peux aussi vous dire que les coureurs passeront par le col de la Lusette".

via JuDbn at Velowire

Stage 10 currently is rumored to be from Ile d'Oleron to Ile de Ré, which on the map looks really interesting. Is there somebody on this forum who knows what the chances are to have a windy stage there in July?
Pretty good. If it is windy the bridge onto the Ile de Ré could be fun. I think it would have been more interesting if it was raced the other way round (as was originally rumoured) because this way the more exposed part is early in the race.

latest rumours from one of the members from velowire, second pyrenees stage will be in department 64 start in orthez and finish at chalets d'iraty or st jean de port, with some bask cols. I almost cannot believe how many (medium) mountain stages are predicted now. Probably some stages will be 'lighter' than theoretically would be possible. Clearly lacking some flat ITT half way the race according to current rumours.

2nd stage Nice
Orcieres-Merlette
Mont Aigoual
1st stage pyrenees to Loudenvielle
2nd stage in the pyrenees
mountain top finish pas de Peyrol
villard-de-lans
Meribel - col de la Loze
the stage with plateau des glieres
grand colombier
MTT planche des belles filles

and then we already know that the first stage in Nice will be a sprint, but at least with some hills, so no 180 men together, and it seems difficult to avoid at least some difficulties in the stages to Privas, Sarran and Champagnole. Also theoratically stages to Sisteron and Lyon could have a spicy final, but that is clearly not going to happen with the current set-up of the race.

I completely forgot the Oriciers rumour. That stage doesn't seem especially interesting or necessary IMO.

Otherwise I like the early Mercantour/Nice stage and the MTF at Pas de Peyrol. Villard de Lans could also be a very good medium mountain stage if designed properly. Aigoual depends very much on if they use Lusette first.

In the Pyrenees a stage in the Basque part would be great, especially if using several of the steep climbs like Bagargui and Arnosteguy. Extremely scenic landscape.

Grand Colombier is a very good MTF, especially if done from Artemare.

What I also hope for is that the Loudenvielle and Giieres stages will be solid mountain stages. More than just Bales and Peyresourde on the Loudenvielle stage, and the Glieres stage should include Roselend-Saises-Aravis-Glieres before the descending to the stage finish.

Great news: Col de la Lusette is in (Mont Aigoual stage)

Denis Bouad est aussi revenu sur le Tour de France 2020, qui passera cette année encore par le Gard, il a détaillé un peu le parcours : "Une étape qui partira d’Ardèche avec une arrivée prévue sur le Mont-Aigoual, et je peux aussi vous dire que les coureurs passeront par le col de la Lusette".

via JuDbn at Velowire

Great! I think the top of Lusette is about 12 km from Aigoual. And the steepest sections of Lusette is 3-5 km before the top of the climb. With a bit of luck we can have 15-20 km of action on that stage.

LusetteS.gif

and the Glieres stage should include Roselend-Saises-Aravis-Glieres before the descending to the stage finish.

There are 3 really great options for this stage:
-Roseland-Bisanne-Aravis-Glieres-Fleuris
-Forclaz-l'Épine-Plan Bois-Croix Fry-Glieres-Fleuris
-Roseland-Bisanne-Romme-Colombiere-Glieres-Fleuris

the last one is maybe not to realistic. Option 2 here would be my favorite. Although I expect something, somewhat more light

There are 3 really great options for this stage:
-Roseland-Bisanne-Aravis-Glieres-Fleuris
-Forclaz-l'Épine-Plan Bois-Croix Fry-Glieres-Fleuris
-Roseland-Bisanne-Romme-Colombiere-Glieres-Fleuris

the last one is maybe not to realistic. Option 2 here would be my favorite. Although I expect something, somewhat more light
The last one would mean a very long loop around to do Romme-Colombiere from north. The stage would then be something like 220-230 km. That is not realistic.

I expect Saises-Aravis-Glieres.-Fleuris. I will be pleasantly suprised if they add Roseland and do Bisanne instead of Sasises. Alternatively Tamie-Epine-Croix Fry-Glieres-Fleuris (and no Plan Bois).

TRENDING THREADS