• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Vuelta rumors

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The big question mark is if Roglic goes. Two weeks ago AS said Roglic will go to Vuelta but after his LBL win it's not 100 %. I don't think Roglic expected to win LBL and redeem his season. He can now go home and be ok with this season. But given his age and how well-tailored is this Vuelta for him he might be tempted.

Reactions: Red Rick
What do we know about the Vuelta and what do you think about it? Will it take place? Does not look good, but has anyone from Spain an opinion how big the political will to push this through is? And if it does happen, it just dawned on me that the Tour has just finished and the Vuelta is at the door, who will still do it and who could do well?
Well, I appreciate any thoughts, opinions and news bits.
There are two major cities hosting stage departures or finishes in partial lockdown with strong restrictions on people's mobility and gatherings: Madrid (last stage finish) and Ourense (stage 14 finish). Pamplona (stage 2 departure) is not far behind on the infection rate and ICU occupation indicators that force lockdowns.
I haven't heard or read any official statement of what will happen if they're still in lockdown on the race day.

Unusually high level of snow on the Pyrenees:

Tourmalet clearly seen in the picture. Aubisque is out of the picture, but they report 15cm of snow at 1500m and 30cm at 1800m.

The no-public rule is extended to all mountain finishes

The no-public rule is extended to all mountain finishes

I'm not fully surprised by this. I also suspect hotels where teams are staying will be teams only and no one outside the Vuelta race bubble similar to what the Tour was doing.

DQS team:

BENNETT Sam
ARCHBOLD Shane
MØRKØV Michael
ŠTYBAR Zdeněk
CATTANEO Mattia
BAGIOLI Andrea
GARRISON Ian
STEIMLE Jannik

Burgos team:

BOL Jetse
CABEDO Óscar
CUBERO Jorge
EZQUERRA Jesús
MADRAZO Ángel
MOLENAAR Alex
OSORIO Juan Felipe
SMIT Willie
Nice to see Stybar in the DQS team. He is not your common GT rider. He usually riders smaller stage races and classics?

Bahrain confirmed the Giro roster two days before the race started. We just don't know if Landa will ride the Vuelta since Bahrain has not made public the final roster. Landa did back to back Giro-Tour in 2017 and 2019 and planned to do Tour-Vuelta in 2018, until he crashed in San Sebastián. I can't see why he would miss the Vuelta if he's healthy, unless there's a dispute on team leadership with Poels :p

Regarding my post above, just found this. Dumo kinda confirms Roglic is coming and it's gonna be again the whole "the weak helps the strong".

Roglic confirmed last night on his Instagram he's going to the Vuelta. We're just waiting for the full Jumbo team announcement now.

In any case looking at the starting list elsewhere & in the event the race really does go ahead or finish at all (due to current events etc.), from my chair here Roglic is the super hot favorite for the race.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Bahrain confirmed the Giro roster two days before the race started. We just don't know if Landa will ride the Vuelta since Bahrain has not made public the final roster. Landa did back to back Giro-Tour in 2017 and 2019 and planned to do Tour-Vuelta in 2018, until he crashed in San Sebastián. I can't see why he would miss the Vuelta if he's healthy, unless there's a dispute on team leadership with Poels :p

Ellingworth also confirmed that another star Bahrain McLaren rider, Mikel Landa, will not be leading the team at the upcoming Vuelta a España, as had been rumoured in some quarters.

"We've got a few good options: Matej [Mohoric] will go, Wout [Poels] will go, potentially [2019 Vuelta leader] Dylan Teuns. It's a decent group with some of the young guys as well. But it's not a full Grand Tour, so it'll maybe give the young guys an opportunity. But Mikel was never planning to ride the Vuelta."

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/el...laren-negotiations-with-cavendish-continuing/

I think Carapaz can win the Vuelta .He was flying at the very end of the Tour so he will hit those early climbs hard .But will he be allowed ? or will he have to ride for Froome ?

I expect Valverde & Dan Martin to be up for it too
Also Dumoulin should be best of JV over the 3 weeks though Roglic will probably start strong

Not sure about Chaves...should be good by now and would love to see him having a go like in 2015
I also wonder if Aru will be there with team backing after what happened at the Tour

Two riders if they are injury free that will go very well are Pinot and Manny Buchmann .Both a great climbers with a good turn of speed and will be up for this after their disappointment at the Tour

I also expect to see a few Spanish and Columbia youngsters to the fore and in the top 10 on GC

Can Betancur show anything I wonder ? Maybe he might surprise ?

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS