• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2020 Vuelta rumors

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Movistar's Vuelta line-up:

Mas
Valverde
Soler
Verona
Olivera
Rojas
Erviti
Arcas

The big question is who knows what any of their form is going to be like.

Valverde, Rojas, Erviti, I thought I had seen them together forever, although it'll 'only' be the 10th GT, 5th Vuelta, and 3rd Tour - Vuelta combo they start together, out of 71 GTs, 33 Vueltas, and 23 Vuelta-Tour doubles among them individually if they start this one.

Valverde, Rojas, Erviti, I thought I had seen them together forever, although it'll 'only' be the 10th GT, 5th Vuelta, and 3rd Tour - Vuelta combo they start together, out of 71 GTs, 33 Vueltas, and 23 Vuelta-Tour doubles among them individually if they start this one.

Valverde and Erviti do race almost everything together. Rojas doesn't race as much with the two of them although still a lot. About two years Movistar actually put up the number of races Valverde and Erviti had raced together at that point and it was crazy. They hadn't realized it was like 95% or higher of all the races they've raced since they both got to Movistar in 2005 have been with each other.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Roglic may be the new Valverde if he can peak for so long, considering his calendar and results. He's not to be discounted but may give the TdF a shot next year, help Dumourain in this one. Both are serious contenders.

After Portal was buried with the suitcase, Ineos has been pedestrian, Carapaz is no joke but left juice on the table at the end of the TdF. Froome? Again, I have watched too much of The Walking Dead to be sure that he is really dead.

Valverde...just because I want koronin to be happy, I wish him a podium and will predict accordingly. Some stages are good for him. But he has shown signs, finally, that time is catching up.

I like the last mountain stage, with a climb, small descent, climb, and chances for a long-range attack. A desperate move. That one is set up well.

Regardless, a good Pinot will be competitive with colder temperatures, rain (Stage 1 TdF was not him falling, but others falling in front of him) is OK. In a good form, he will podium. Better? Thibaut did Milano-Torino-GDL like Jalabert, 25 years after Jalabert we may see Jalapinot, hot pepper giving hemorrhoids to the rest of the field.

What about if one of their leaders get Covid-19? This disease seems to have a strange tendency to mostly affect the leaders during GTs.

Not my point.

My point is if Chris Harper got Co-vid and not Kruijswijk. JV would still have been in Giro. That's why is pathetic if they don't pull out of The Vuelta if the get's any positive tests. Don't care if the number 1 or not. It is super hypocritical!

Not my point.

My point is if Chris Harper got Co-vid and not Kruijswijk. JV would still have been in Giro. That's why is pathetic if they don't pull out of The Vuelta if the get's any positive tests. Don't care if the number 1 or not. It is super hypocritical!

Well, we can't know what they do if they get a positive in the Vuelta until they get a positive in the Vuelta, and let's hope they don't.
Likewise we can't know what they'd have done if it had been Chris Harper, and now Kruijswijk, who'd gotten Covid-19 at the Giro.

No they wouldn't.

Life is largely about risk vs. reward.

They choosed to pull out of Giro because health was more important that riding Giro. And I understand.

But let's see what must important for JV in the La Vuelta. Winning or health.

I can see them end up in a shitstorm for being hypocritical if the choose staying at La Vuelta with a postive test just because they are number 1 in GC.

Let's see. They maybe have put themselves in hard position.

I looking forward to see what JV do when they are number 1 and 2 but one of there domestique gets Co-vid 19. They would have to the same as in Giro - Otherwise they will look pathetic!
They won't. Jumbo absolutely had zero business in the Giro d'Italia anymore once Kruijswijk was out. So it was kinda logical to pull the team and not risk the infection spreading around the peloton with more cases emerging in their team in the upcoming days.

At the Vuelta a Espana it would be like with Sunweb, which of course is a bit of a gamble!

They won't. Jumbo absolutely had zero business in the Giro d'Italia anymore once Kruijswijk was out. So it was kinda logical to pull the team and not risk the infection spreading around the peloton with more cases emerging in their team in the upcoming days.

At the Vuelta a Espana it would be like with Sunweb, which of course is a bit of a gamble!

That's exactly what I mean with being hypocritical.

This Vuelta requires @Descender verdict.

About as pleasant as a mosquito bite on the finger.

It's bad, though I don't think it's the worst Vuelta route ever. Not even of the last 15-20 years.

It's very frontloaded and has too many inconsequential stages, but at least it has a couple of nice descent finishes (SM de Aralar, Orduña).

The Vuelta did again what I call the "Vuelta Pizza Hawaii" with Angliru after the Farrapona stage. I like one, I like the other, but I don't like them together, and I especially don't like the sweet on top of the salty. It's so infuriating because the Farrapona stage is so well designed, but the GC riders will probably sit it out.

Speaking of which, why does the Vuelta keep having such broad criteria for 1st Category climbs? Cobertoria E doesn't belong in the same category as Laguna Negra, it's a definite ESP. And arguably so is San Lorenzo (both sides).

Anyway I don't even want to think about how they finally returned to Extremadura and decided to go straight to Covatilla while ignoring all the good climbs that could have preceded it, in the last mountain stage after an easy week.

TRENDING THREADS